Chapter 60

Maddy was laying in bed. No intention of going to school. She hadn't asked her parents, but she knew with the day she had yesterday, and the horrible last week, that they would let her skip. She hadn't gotten a lot of sleep. Too many thoughts swirling in her brain. 

Maddy had her phone in her hand. She refused to look at any of her social media accounts. But after the shocking information about Kai on the News last night, everyone and their dog had texted her. Of course they had. Her Homecoming date and his buddies were arrested for rape. Maddy thought most people texting her were truly concerned, but she knew some just wanted gossip. She had texted back the group chat of her friends, assuring the four of them that she was okay (complete lie), and yes, it was a shock (absolutely true). She had also texted back Jackson, fully admitting that he saved her and answered his questions honestly about why Jungkook wasn't texting him back. She would have texted Jimin or one of his brothers if they had contacted her, but they didn't.

She kept thinking over the events of the last week starting from telling Jungkook at the beach that she was going to the dance with Kai, and ending with the police station and the local news last night. Her mother had come in several times to check on her last evening. Giving her hugs and talking a bit. Her father had still not talked to her or really even looked at her. He stood in the doorway once, while she talked to her mom. Maddy knew he was disappointed that she hadn't listened to Jungkook from the start and he was emotional that she almost got so hurt.

Maddy was pretty sure from the police questions that the victim the newsman had mentioned must be Bitna. She had been sitting in front of the school when Jackson took Maddy home. Maddy felt a bit of guilt that if she had gone with Kai instead of Jack, Bitna would have been safe. Of course, she didn't know that was true. Maybe Bitna would have been a second victim, regardless. 

But the more she thought about it, the more Maddy realized she needed to tell the police everything. She needed to do it for Bitna. If any part of Maddy's experience with Kai and his evil friends could help Bitna win her case then Maddy needed to help. It would be silly to think that with everything Kai had going on right now that he would still have an interest in Jungkook's placement in foster care. Maddy was pretty sure they were safe from that threat now. She knew she needed to come clean and tell the truth.

But she really didn't want everyone knowing the truth about her relationship with Kai. She would tell the police but maybe no one else would even need to know, the police could just use the information she provided. The last person in the world she would want to know is Jungkook. He didn't need to know that Kai used him to threaten her. She wasn't sure what his reaction would be but she was pretty sure it would not be good.

Unknown: This is Jungkook. I'm borrowing someone's phone. I'm going to call now.

Maddy sat up in bed, her mouth dropped open. Jungkook was calling her?! Her emotions raced. Her heart started beating out of her chest. She looked at her phone, anticipating the call. She felt a tear slip down her cheek as she breathed hard waiting for it to ring.

Her phone rang and she jumped in her seat. Silly to be startled by a call she was waiting for. She slid the phone icon to the right and held the phone to her ear. "Hello?"

"Maddy? Are you there?" It was his voice! It was really him! Relief and joy from hearing him welled inside of her.

"Kookie? Is that really you?" She had needed him so badly, and here he was for her to talk with. All the emotions from the week bubbled up along with the relief and happiness of hearing her best friend. Kai's abuse, her fight with Jungkook, Kai's arrest, Jungkook being stabbed, the police interview. It wasn't just a little tears that dripped down her cheeks. She squeezed her eyes shut as the sobs broke over her body. "You were stabbed! Are you alright?"