Chapter 14

Kookie: Are you ready to play soccer?

Mads: Yep, but come to the front door because I want to introduce you to my parents.

Kookie: K

A few minutes later the doorbell rang and Maddy went flying down the stairs to answer it. Jungkook had only been gone for a few hours but she was so ready to see him again. She pulled open the front door and found Jungkook standing there in sweats with a smile on his face. Breathtaking, Maddy thought, he is just so darn good looking. "Come in!" Maddy stepped back so he could enter. 

Jungkook took off his shoes and Maddy grabbed his hand and pulled him into the kitchen where her mom was baking. "Eomma, I wanted to introduce you to Jungkook. We are going to practice soccer at the park."

Mrs. Lee looked up from her baking and smiled. She spoke in Korean. "Jungkook, it is so nice to meet you. Madison has told us all about how much you've helped her with her math, we really appreciate that. The tutors we've hired in the past have been hit and miss to say the least. So to have you helping her with so much success is a Godsend." 

Jungkook saw that Maddy's mother had the same kind eyes and kind words as Maddy. He felt the weight of the approval she was giving him. It felt like a lot to live up to. He hadn't realized until now that Maddy's mom was American. He wondered if Maddy spoke English. It was one of his only classes he really struggled with. He wouldn't have English until second semester this year though.

Jungkook gave a little bow. "It is nice to meet you Mrs. Lee. I don't mind helping Maddy with math." Jungkook couldn't remember the last time he'd met someone's parents. He hoped he was making an okay first impression.

Maddy snatched Jungkook's hand and pulled him out of the kitchen, "Come meet my dad." She pulled Jungkook into her dad's study. Maddy's dad was sitting at his desk as if to do work but he was really watching a show on a little TV on the wall.

"Appa, I want you to meet Jungkook, a friend from school." Maddy was still holding Jungkook's hand as she introduced him. Jungkook bowed to her father.

Mr. Lee stood up, trying to look stern. "Ah, so this is THE BOY, huh?"

Maddy rolled her eyes and sighed, "Yah, this is THE ONE BOY left in Korea, father. The government has asked us to procreate and restart the population. We plan to work on that right after playing soccer." Maddy shook her head at her father's comment.

Jungkook's eyes opened wide at her teasing her father. It was not typical for Korean children to tease their fathers like this. But much to Jungkook's relief, Maddy's father laughed.

Mr. Lee bowed a bit to Jungkook and said, "It is nice to meet you young man. Maddy has told us only good things about you. We are happy you are her friend." 

Approval again. Jungkook didn't know how much of this he could take. It just felt so undeserved on his part. "It is nice to meet you too, sir." Jungkook bowed a couple of times.

"We are going to play soccer, bye Appa!" Maddy was pulling Jungkook to the door then. 

They heard her dad call, "And NO procreating! I'm putting my foot down!" 

Maddy and Jungkook laughed at that. Maddy put on soccer shoes, Jungkook put on regular athletic shoes and they headed out to the park.

Maddy was delighted because Jungkook was just plain fun to play soccer with. He was funny and lively but he made it a challenging work out. It was clear to Maddy that Jungkook was an incredible soccer player. He might even be better than Juwon. But Jungkook didn't flash it in Maddy's face like Juwon had. Jungkook was just naturally talented. And his footwork was amazing. He had a way of looking like he was moving one way but really moving another. He faked Maddy out multiple times. "Teach me." She insisted.