Chapter 29

It was 6am. Jungkook had just arrived to Maddy's house and her dad was going to drive them all to the hospital. "Madison, you took your medication this morning for the surgery, right?" Maddy's mom called. 

Maddy looked super sleepy as she shuffled to the car. She was in sweatpants and a t-shirt. "Yeah. I did." She practically yawned as she spoke. While Maddy's parents were doing their last few things before leaving Jungkook took the opportunity to wrap Maddy in a hug. "You okay?" he asked as he dropped a kiss on the top of her hair.

"I just want it to be over. I haven't gotten very good sleep this week." They both knew why. Jungkook stroked her hair soothingly until everyone was ready to go.

The parents sat in the front seat and Jungkook and Maddy held hands in the back. Jungkook really wanted to pull her over onto his lap but with her parents in the front seat, he felt he shouldn't. Not to mention the whole seatbelt law. Maddy fell asleep almost immediately when the car started going. "I don't think she slept very well last night." Maddy's mom said. Jungkook wasn't sure if she was talking to him or Maddy's dad so he just nodded.

Maddy slept all the way to the hospital while Jungkook was on his phone. He hadn't been sleeping particularly well in his own bed the last few nights but he wasn't comfortable falling asleep in Maddy's car. 

Jungkook rubbed Maddy's arm to wake her as they pulled into the parking lot at the hospital. Once hugs were exchanged and Maddy was taken back, the waiting game began. 

Jungkook understood now what Maddy had said about her dad having difficulty waiting. He kept standing up and walking around then sitting back down. Maddy's mom was calmly looking at things on her phone. Finally she said to her husband, "Honey, can you go grab us coffees? Jungkook, what would you like to drink?"

After they both put in their order, Maddy's dad was glad to have something to do and he went to the hospital coffee shop with purpose. He came back relatively quickly though and they all sipped on their drinks as they continued waiting. When Maddy's dad got antsy again, Maddy's mom suggested maybe they needed a pastry from the coffee shop. Jungkook ordered a muffin, Maddy's mom wanted a bagel.

Upon returning, Maddy's dad calmed down enough to eat a croissant but then he was nervously pacing again. Jungkook thought he maybe should help Maddy's dad get his mind off of waiting if he could. "Mr. Lee, Maddy says that you collect rare coins. I was wondering if you could tell me about being a coin collector. When did you start your collection? And how do you choose which coins to buy?"

Mr. Lee's eyes twinkled at the chance to talk about his coins. He went right over and sat in the seat between his wife and Jungkook. He turned to Jungkook and started explaining about the coin he had inherited from his grandfather. He shared how he buys coins that he loves, not ones that will necessarily make money.  

Maddy's mom leaned over and looked over her husband's shoulder at Jungkook. She put her hands in prayer position and mouthed the words 'thank you' to him. Jungkook nodded. He tried to ask lots of questions to keep Maddy's dad busy. 

Finally, after almost two hours of waiting, the doctor came out. He was smiling which was a good sign. "Everything went great. I'm confident we got it all out. She is in a recovery room now. Once she wakes up we will move her to another room and come get you so you can see her." Maddy's parents both thanked the doctor and smiled. They gave each other a nice hug.

Maddy's mom smiled at Jungkook, "We should see her soon."

But then it was over a half hour before the doctor came back. He looked more concerned this time, "She is awake and doing fine, but we are a little concerned about her blood pressure. It is high for some reason. We've given her medication to lower it and are just waiting for it to work. So a few more minutes and we should be able to bring you back." Maddy's mom and dad thanked the doctor and then sat down to wait a bit more.