Chapter 9

The day started out with Jungkook placing a Hershey's Kiss on top of Maddy's desk. The smile he won was supposed to sustain him all day and she did not disappoint. Other girls would have a similar reaction to an extravagant gift like jewelry. But for Maddy it was chocolate. She gave him her brightest smile and thanked him profusely and popped it into her mouth right away. She was certainly easy to please.

Ms. Seong called for attention and passed out the tests. Jungkook finished his math test in less than ten minutes and turned it in. Then he slept on his desk while everyone else finished. Madison, along with most of the class, took almost the whole period to complete the test. Maddy knew she had missed a few but she actually felt much better about this math test than she had in a long time.

Jungkook was very quiet in History. After the lecture, he just quietly worked on the illustrations on the timeline. Maddy kept looking at him to see if he was alright. "You okay today?" She asked, "You seem quiet."

Jungkook looked up, "I'm fine." But honestly trying to distance himself from her was hard. The test in first period had made it easier but now he had an overwhelming urge to talk to her and look at her and touch her. It was taking everything he had to try to ignore her. 

He and Jimin had a conversation on the way home the previous night. Jimin had helped Jungkook understand the dangers of having a friendship with Maddy. He had known it all before, but hearing Jimin talk about how disappointed Maddy would be when they got in a fight or got brought home by the police or got caught stealing, helped him visualize it. If she got upset about a stupid vape pen then she would be really horrified if she knew the other things they did. His thinking was that it would be easier to distance himself from her now, than it would be later.

In PE, the girls did the hurdles and the boys did the high jump so Madison didn't get to interact with Jungkook again. She was starting to miss him when he wasn't around, which was a new thing for her. She had always had many friends but she had never wanted to be around someone all the time, missing them when they were away. She liked talking with Jungkook, she felt safe with him. She knew she was attracted to him as well, but there was something deeper about it, it was almost like she needed to be around him. The hug he had given her earlier in the week had felt inordinately nice. She had thought about that hug so many times. She knew it was a 'Jungkook' thing and not just a 'cute guy' thing because Jimin and Taehyung were overwhelmingly handsome too, but she wasn't craving to be near them like she was with Jungkook.

At the end of PE she found herself heading toward Jungkook as the classes walked toward the building. But right before she got to him, Juwon came up beside her and grabbed her hand. "I'm really looking forward to our lunch today, Madison." 

She carefully removed her hand from his. "Me too! See you in the cafeteria!" She jogged ahead but Jungkook wasn't anywhere to be found. So she just went to the locker room to change.

At lunch, Madison discovered that Juwon liked to talk. They had made it through a whole lunch and she had hardly spoken at all. She had learned all about him though. He was Junior Class President. He was a good student. He was the Captain of the soccer team. He planned to go to Seoul University and study some type of engineering. He had a younger sister and his mom and dad both had very important jobs. Juwon made sure to inform her that he was very important to the school and teachers. She was honestly exhausted after their conversation. 

Madison had told him that she shared his love of soccer and had suggested they practice together. They arranged to practice the next day, but he had seemed only mildly interested, which seemed odd to her since he was the one that had invited her to lunch. 

She had tried not to, but she had glanced at Jungkook multiple times during lunch, still missing him. She was happy to see Tae had eaten with his brothers.