Chapter 49

Jungkook got a slight feeling of dread as he looked at the bank of the river. There was no way they could get out here. He wondered how long they would have to float before they found a spot to climb out. "Great, I guess this wasn't the best idea, huh?"

Maddy shrugged her shoulders, "What else did we have to do today? This is pretty nice, I could float on the river all day if we had a way back. Let's just watch for the first spot to climb out. The road we drove in on followed the river, so I doubt we'll get lost."

Jungkook smiled at Maddy's reaction. Even though he didn't like it when she was cavalier when risking her life, he really did like that she didn't get uptight about things. She took things easy and went with the flow most of the time. He imagined many people would be pretty worried right now since they had no idea where the next exit spot would be, but not Maddy. This made Jungkook smile. He liked her so much.

Maddy and Jungkook enjoyed their time on the water. They might have been more worried if they recognized how far down river they had traveled. But they, as always, enjoyed each other's company and alternated between talking about this and that, teasing each other, and having very comfortable moments of silence.

After almost an hour of floating the river, the terrain was changing again. They rounded a bend in the river and found well manicured lawn that came all the way down to the river's edge with a cute little gazebo up on the bank. There was a house on the hill behind the gazebo, so they knew it was someone's yard. But they didn't care, they needed to find their way back to the campground. Jungkook pushed himself off the inner tube and found that he could stand with the water up to his waist. He pushed Maddy on the tube to the grass and she hopped off onto the lawn and Jungkook climbed out of the water.

"This would be a nice place to live." Maddy looked around at the peaceful spot.

Jungkook nodded in agreement and slung the tube over his shoulder and they walked up through the yard, through the gate and up to the road. To their relief, they didn't see anyone at the house, which meant less explaining to do.

They started walking toward 'up river' on the road, to head back to the campground. They were both glad they had worn swimming shoes because walking on the gravel on the side of the road would have been painful without shoes. Jungkook took Maddy's hand as they walked down the road.

Maddy had repeatedly pushed thoughts of Kai out of her head all day. Sometimes there were long period of times when she forgot about it all but then it would come rushing back and make her sick to her stomach. She knew her brain was working out exactly what she was going to tell Jungkook to make him the least upset as possible, but also make it so he didn't try to beat up Kai. That was the hard part, keeping Jungkook from attacking Kai. So far she had only one idea for making that happen and it made her want to puke.

As they walked down the road they came upon a little country market with fresh produce and homemade products like honey and jam. Jungkook and Maddy smiled at the surprise find and Jungkook pulled Maddy across the street by her hand. He put the tube on the porch of the store and they looked around for a minute.

There was a cafe in the corner of the market and Maddy thought she would have really liked to get a drink. "Too bad we didn't bring any money." She sighed.

Jungkook's face lit up, he reached inside his swim trunks and unzipped an inner pocket. "I found this earlier today. I think I must have worn these shorts when I was at a waterpark last time because I left money in the pocket." He pulled out several very crumpled bills. "They've been through the wash but it will work."

They ordered milkshakes, chocolate for Maddy, vanilla for Jungkook. They walked out the front of the market with their milkshakes and saw a petting zoo to the left of the parking lot. Jungkook took Maddy's hand and they walked over to see the animals.