Chapter 62

Maddy was sitting on Jungkook's hospital bed next to him, kissing his hand to death. Then she noticed his eyes were opening just the littlest bit. She wanted to climb on top of him and hug him but she restrained herself because she knew he was fragile. She gently leaned over and cupped his cheeks, "Can you hear me Kookie?"

She heard him whisper, "Yeah." Her tears fell with relief and gratitude. All her problems over the last weeks seemed to melt away with Jungkook waking up. Nothing else mattered, only him.

She was kissing all over his face then. Trying to be careful but unable to contain her joy. "I knew you'd fight. I knew you would come back to me. I knew you wouldn't leave me here by myself! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

She tried to calm herself down, so she didn't overwhelm him. Probably too late for that. "Do you need anything? Do you want me to call the nurse?"

His whisper came, "Water." Maddy was up off the bed and over to the other side where his cup of water with a straw was. She gently held it out for him to sip through the straw. He took a few sips but didn't drink much before turning his head away so she knew he was done.

Maddy walked around to the other side of the bed and took his hand again. She knew if she called the nurse she would be kicked out. She was going to try to hold it off as long as she could. "Let me know if you need more water. Or anything else." She kissed his hand again then rubbed it on her cheek. "I'm so happy you woke up. You have no idea."

His eyes were still only half opened and he had only barely moved his head and his hand. He whispered, "Lay."

"You want me to lay back down?" Jungkook slightly nodded. Maddy didn't hesitate to climb back in, being gentle not to jostle him. Again, she laid her head right next to his and held his hand. She had no idea the healing effect her touch had on him. He felt his whole body come alive at her touch. He wished he had the energy to pull her into his arms and cuddle on her but his muscles wouldn't obey, he was just too weak.

Maddy felt Jungkook lightly squeeze her finger so she lifted her head. "What is it, Kookie?"

His whisper came back, "Kai." Even though Jungkook had been mostly unconscious since he was caught by the police, his mind had been preoccupied with worry. He had closed in on himself, ruminating over the fact that Kai could have raped Maddy. His body had difficulty fighting the infection because his worry had taken all his energy. To have her here next to him was bliss, but he was still so concerned about what had happened to her and if she was alright.

Maddy's hand flew to his cheek, "No. There is no more Kai. We are done. He and his friends were arrested at school on Monday for hurting a girl. They raped poor Bitna, the senior queen. It was awful. I was interviewed by the police and everything. But no, don't even think about Kai, he is gone from our lives forever. Thank goodness."

Jungkook found the energy to turn his head slightly and look at Maddy through half opened eyes, "You're okay?" Even though his voice was weak, Maddy could hear the relief and hope with his question.

A tear dripped down Jungkook's cheek and Maddy brushed it away with her thumb. "Yes, I'm fine. I'm totally fine. You saved me from Kai by calling Jackson. He came and got me and wouldn't let me leave." Maddy sighed, "I should have listened to you from the start, Jungkook. Everything I did was so stupid. I'm so sorry I put you through all of that. I should have left with you at the dance. I'm so sorry, Kookie. I will try to listen to you from now on. My father thinks you should be making all of my decisions from now on. I thought he loved you before, now I think he is starting a JK fan club."

Jungkook felt his body relax with the realization that she was okay. Kai had not hurt her. She was free of him and had not gotten hurt too badly. He had no idea how they had let her be here in the hospital with him, but it was exactly what he needed for healing. He felt like he could now get better and get out of Juvie and go back to having his junior year of high school with his best friend. It was almost like a huge weight had been lifted off his chest. He could almost feel the energy soar through his body with the optimism he was feeling. He whispered, "Sweetness," right before falling back into a restful, healing sleep.