Chapter 37

They needed to hurry off the water tower now that the cops were on their way. Tae and Jimin hurriedly went down the ladder and scrambled over the hill to the car. Maddy was a little slower because her side was starting to ache. When she got off the ladder the police were just pulling up to the scene. Their sirens weren't on, but their flashing lights were. "Oh crud!" Maddy called as she saw the swirling red and blue lights painting the hillside.

Jungkook hooked his arm around her back and propelled the two of them up and over the hill to the car, mostly carrying her. They heard the police behind them yelling for them to stop. Maddy started giggling from nervousness.

Jimin already had the car started. Jungkook set Maddy who was now full on laughing, in the car and climbed over her, slamming the door behind him. As soon as they were in Jimin took off. He was hoping the dust was covering their license plates because only moments after they took off the police were getting to the bottom of the hill on the road they were on. "I should have covered the plates." Jimin said. "That was stupid of me."

Maddy's heart was beating a mile a minute, tears were streaming down her face but she was still laughing with hysterics. Maddy looked out the back window and could make out the police being left in the dust, not able to follow because their car was on the access road on the front of the hill, not the one on the back of the hill where Jimin had parked. 

The farther they drove the more she calmed down. Her laughing subsided to giggles then finally stopped completely. Jungkook gave her a relieved look that she had calmed down a bit, "If we'd gotten caught by the cops, your laughing would have been really hard to explain."

"Yeah, that was a weird response I didn't even know that I had." She leaned to the front seat now, "It is a good thing you came up on this road, Jimin." Maddy observed.

"Yeah, last time we were up here we were on foot. And the police came up that front road. But we ran down this road and the police got tired of chasing on foot and gave up. So I thought this road would be the safer bet." Maddy's heart kept calming down, the farther they got down the hill. She could feel her stomach throbbing a bit though and she pressed her hand to it.

"Let me see." Jungkook said.

"No, I'm sure it's fine." It was too dark for Jungkook to see anyway so he didn't press it.

"Can we drive somewhere and look if we can see the water tower from the city?" Maddy really wanted to see if her message could be read by people.

Jimin knew just the spot. He pulled into the parking lot of a gas station next to the river. Once they were out of the car Jimin led them out to the back of the gas station and there was the water tower up on the hill. Maddy's message of 'BE KIND' could be read clearly. And from this distance a person could even tell that it was surrounded by hearts. They took some pictures of the four of them with the water tower in the background. Maddy was smiling ear to ear.

"Well, I think she had fun." Jungkook observed pulling her back against his chest, kissing her head.

Maddy nodded, "Everything but getting chased by the police was really fun."

Jimin smirked, "Well, if your laughing was any indication, I think that was the most fun you ever had." Maddy shook her head at his comment.

They got soft serve ice cream at the gas station to eat on the way home. Before they got in the car Jungkook insisted on seeing Maddy's wound under the lights on the side of the gas station.

She leaned back onto the car and held his ice cream while he lifted her sweatshirt and pulled back the gauze. Her head was leaning back on the top of the car so she was just looking at the sky. It was such a beautiful night, she could see some stars twinkling overhead. She felt like she was really living life. Having boys come to her slumber party. Getting her first kiss. Being a bad girl, doing graffiti. Having a best friend. It all seemed too good to be true.