Chapter 16

Maddy tried to roll over to face Jungkook but he was holding her so tightly that she couldn't move. She felt him bury his face in her hair. "You okay?" She asked.

"I am now." Jungkook's voice was muffled in her hair. He took several deep, lilac filled, breaths in and out and felt the stress leave his body.

Maddy reached to touch his tattooed hand but when she did, he breathed in through his teeth as if in pain. "What? Did that hurt?" The concern was evident in her voice.

"I'm okay. Let's sleep." 

But Maddy wouldn't leave it alone. "Show me. What is it?" She tried to reach for the light on the night stand but he held her too tightly, so she couldn't reach it. "Jungkook." She admonished. "I'm not going to let it go, you may as well show me now."

Jungkook knew how stubborn she was when she set her mind to something, he remembered the vape pen incident. He sighed and released her. When she turned on the light she was shocked to see the cut under his eye and his swollen lip and the start of bruising on his cheek. Then she looked at his hand and could tell the knuckles were swollen. Her face filled with worry. "What happened to you? How did you get hurt?" She held his hand carefully in hers and gently touched his red knuckles. 

Jungkook pursed his lips, "Would you believe me if I said I tripped and fell?"

Maddy shook her head, "Not for a minute. Come here." To most people it would be obvious that Jungkook had been in a fight, but Maddy had never been around anyone who fought. She didn't even watch movies with a lot of fighting. So her mind went to the fact that he had some type of accident and she didn't consider that he had been fighting.

Maddy pulled Jungkook to the bathroom and got out her first aide supplies. Jungkook sat upon the counter between the two sinks. Maddy stood between his legs as she treated his cuts with alcohol and antibiotic cream. She looked at the cuts on his handsome face and her breath caught. He was too good looking for his own good. She bit her lip as she concentrated on tending his wounds in her pink striped pajamas.

Even though Maddy was trying to be gentle, the alcohol stung Jungkook's cuts. "Aish! That stings." Jungkook gritted his teeth.

"Sorry, it needs to be cleaned so it doesn't get infected." Jungkook knew she was right. 

She squinted a bit from the brightness of the bathroom light. "Are you going to tell me what really happened?"

"I fell down."

"Mmmmhmmm. Hold still and let me finish." She continued cleaning his wounds. She could certainly be bossy when she wanted.

Maddy still had a sleepy expression on her face from just waking up. Jungkook rested his hands on her hips, needing to touch her. Needing her close. He was able to study Maddy's face while she so intently worked on his cheek. Looking at her was effectively distracting him from the pain. He brushed her hair out of her face and pushed it behind her ear, then rested his hand back on her hip. He didn't deserve her as a friend. He and his brothers were bad, she deserved kind good-hearted friends. She'd probably be disgusted by his activities this evening. But she looked at him with concern in her eyes. He really didn't deserve her. But he would enjoy having her as a friend for as long as he could.

Jungkook marveled at how beautiful she was, while she put a band aide on him. He thought he would willingly get injured every day, if he could have this moment to study her and be close to her. "So beautiful." The words whispered out of his mouth before he realized.

Maddy felt a shiver go down her body at his compliment, his hands resting on her hips made the moment feel even more intimate.

She hated to take his hand off her hip but she needed to look at it next. "I'm going to get you an ice pack. I'll be back in a minute." Maddy left Jungkook and headed downstairs.