Chapter 26

The ice cream group date plan had spread and there were over twenty students, plenty of girls but more boys, waiting in front of the school to walk to the ice cream shop. Maddy texted her mom to tell her she would be late. Jimin had detention and couldn't go, but both Tae and Jungkook weren't missing it. Tae because he was enjoying his senior year of making new friends and being social. Jungkook because he planned to keep an eye on Maddy and make sure these love sick boys didn't get out of hand.

Jungkook tried to convince Maddy to drive with them but she said the walk to the ice cream shop was part of the date. "I need to try to give everyone a little bit of my time so they all feel included and have fun." Jungkook didn't understand why she needed to be personally responsible for so many people's happiness. But then, he had known her personality before he became friends with her so he shouldn't be surprised.

Jungkook and Tae were the first ones to the shop because they had driven. Jungkook ordered mint chocolate chip for himself and a double chocolate fudge for Maddy. Tae had a hard time deciding. He liked lots of different ice cream flavors. After thinking about it for a long time, he finally settled on a scoop of vanilla and a scoop of strawberry in a bowl with strawberry sauce. By the time their ice creams were ready the student group had arrived. With so many customers at once the workers behind the counter were running around for the next half hour filling ice cream orders.

Jungkook found Maddy talking with a boy that looked way too happy about their conversation. Jungkook gave the boy a hard stare then caught Maddy's attention and handed her the chocolate cone. Her face positively lit up with happiness, as Jungkook had expected. And he moved to stand behind her. 

Then he watched her as she moved around to interact with everyone and make everyone feel included while he ate his cone. He pushed himself to be a little bit social and talked to a few of the students that were standing near him. But mostly he just watched as Maddy gave time to each person there. She asked each boy questions and listened carefully to their answers. She made comments back that made the whole group laugh, never at anyone's expense. Always making each person feel special. Her smiley eyes showing each boy how much she cared, making them feel important and listened to. Jungkook thought she was beautiful, inside and out.

Tae had a group of girls around him that he was entertaining. With the narrow spectrum of nerdy boys around, Tae was a magnet for the girls. He had always been socially advanced for his age but he had repressed a lot of it over the last few years. Jungkook thought Tae looked in his element as he teased and flirted with the girls in the group.

Jungkook wasn't nearly as social as Tae, but he had gotten used to talking with Maddy's friends, Minje and Dalrae now. Dalrae didn't sugar coat things and Jungkook enjoyed her honest, if somewhat brutal comments. She seemed to have an opinion on almost everything.

"These are some of the smartest, nerdiest, boys in the school. Is it concerning to anyone else that after watching her turn down twenty other guys, their logical conclusion is that they should ask her out next?" Dalrae shook her head in disgust. Jungkook agreed that they were all idiots.

Minje was much more of a romantic at heart. "Just think, Madison's true love could be out there somewhere. And if he didn't take the chance and ask her out, she would never know he liked her. They have to risk it because they might be the one to catch her eye!" Jungkook rolled his eyes at Minje's comment, but didn't respond. None of them would be catching Maddy's eye if he had anything to say about it.

"Well, I think we are all in love with Madison to some degree. She's just one of those people you want to be around all the time." Dalrae observed. Jungkook remembered how reserved Dalrae was until Maddy had brought her out of her shell. He realized it was true that Maddy had made a huge difference in his life as well.