Chapter 23: No

Tucker's POV:
Sonja and me were driving to the grocery store so we could get some breakfast food. She parked across the street and walked to the road. I was following closely behind her but I didn't see it. I didn't see it. It was all my fault.

"SONJA!" I screamed but I wasn't fast enough. I heard a loud thud and I winced. I knew what happened. I opened my eyes and saw her. Her lifeless body lying in the middle of the road, the car that hit her nowhere insight. I ran to her and picked up her head. It was covered in blood, her hair sticking to her face so I moved it out of the way, my tears falling onto her neck.

"Sonja. Please. No" I whispered my voice cracking. Passerby's were calling 911 telling them a woman got hit by a car. I heard sirens in the distance but everything was drowned out by the sound of my sobs. All of a sudden, the world went dark and I fell to the ground next to my dead girlfriend. I awoke in a hospital bed. A doctor walked through the door and walked to my bed shuffling some papers in her binder.

"Tucker?"

"Yes?" I wheezed.

"How are you feeling?" she asked. I tried to move my arm but it was really sore.

"Sore" I replied. The nurse nodded pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose and scribbling something on a paper.

"Can you think clearly? Do you remember what happened?" she said pulling up a chair and sitting down next to me. I nodded as a reply to her question. Her eyes seemed to get darker and fill with pity. She cocked her head and wrote something else down. I read her name tag. Heather. Heather closed the binder and leaned forward.

"Mr. Tucker. I regret to inform you... I'm sorry. You have to know though. You are in a good condition you just fainted from the overload of information. However." She breathed in. "Your girlfriend is dead." I winced at the painful words that I knew were coming. I turned my head towards the window and felt tears well up in my eyes.

"Forever? There's nothing you can do?" I turned back to her, in denial about Sonja's death. The nurse shook her head no. I sighed deeply letting the tears fall freely.

"You can leave if you want. Your car is out front. Just sign the papers at the front desk" Heather said then got up and left. I sighed again and swung my legs over the edge of the bed. I got up, grabbed my phone from the bedside table and walked towards the front desk.

"Tucker Boner is the name" I said in a really tired voice. The receptionist looked at me.

"I'm sorry about your girlfriend" her high voice pierced the eerie silence. I looked at her and nodded then walked out the door. I was angry. I was angry that it was her instead of me. Why didn't I walk first. Why wasn't i next to her. Why didn't I die?
~~~~~~~
I awoke sweating in my bed in my house.

"SONJA!?" I yelled sitting up suddenly my head reeling from the horrid dream I just had.

"Yes?" a sleepy voice said next to me. I whipped my head around. And she was sitting there. In one piece, no blood.

"Sonj?" I asked, rubbing my eyes to ensure I wasn't hallucinating. Her eyebrows furrowed.

"What's wrong?" she asked patting my shoulder.

"I had a dream you died. You got hit by a car and died and I was blaming myself for it and Sonj you have no idea how happy I am right now that you're sitting next to me." I said quickly hugging her. At first she was surprised but then I felt her arms swing around my neck.

"It's okay now Tucker. I'm right here." she whispered into my neck. I squeezed her.

"Never leave me" I cried into her hair. "Never."

"Okay. I promise." she whispered.

We gradually fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~
Sonja's POV:
I awoke to the smell of waffles and maple syrup emitting from the kitchen. I smiled to myself and walked out there.

"Good morning." I pecked his cheek. "Are you feeling much better?"

"Much better. That was the worst. My worst fear came true in that dream." he said enveloping me in a hug and kissing my head. I smiled and grabbed two plates from the cupboard and handed them to Tucker. He grabbed them and put two waffles with maple syrup on each.

We settled down and ate breakfast on the couch watching The Hobbit. Soon enough Tucker fell asleep and I continued watching. I didn't want to disturb him. He was pretty stressed. I got up, kissed his forehead and went to the store to buy some ice cream.