Chapter 44: Party Time

Sonja's POV:

I woke up in the morning of New Years Day and yawned.

"Tucker" I nudged him.

"Wake up" I nudged him again, in the forehead this time.

"Nah" he turned over, a smile spreading on his face.

I shook my head and glanced at the time.

"Tucker oh my god! Get up! It's twelve in the afternoon!" I shot up out of bed and saw Tucker do the same.

"When does the party start and how many people are coming. I need to know so I know how much to panic in a second" he shook me by the shoulders.

"Six and thirteen people including us" I answered, a hint of despair in my voice.

"O deer. Okay, here we go. Let's split the responsibilities. I'm going to go drive to the store and buy some decorations for our party. You make a list of things we need to do and then a pretty-looking list of guests so they can check themselves off when they come. I should be back and then we can start the preparations for the massive amounts of food. Our house is pretty much clean but if you have time, could you vacuum the carpet in the upstairs hallway? If not, it's okay, I doubt people will go up there" Tucker said, while throwing on a shirt, pants and a jacket.

I kept nodding, following him throughout the house.

"Deal" I threw Tucker his car keys and waved him goodbye.

After he left, I got some extravagantly bright neon paper, put into a handy frame and started writing the names of our guests on it. After half an hour of me practicing my cursive and making the names pretty the list looked something like this. (A/N: Sorry if the list appears screwed up)

◻Sonja

◻ Tucker

◻ Tom

◻ Alice

◻Jordan

◻Erin

◻Brennon

◻Ally

◻ Emma

◻ Hayli

◻ Beth

◻ Declan

◻ James

I vacuumed the hallway upstairs and cleaned the house up a little bit more. I was admiring my handiwork at the bottom of the stirs when Tucker walked in with five filled to the top Walmart bags.

"Let's get to work" he grinned.

We took out all the streamers, napkins, plates, fireworks and positioned all the decorations around the house. Tucker set up a music system and attached a disco ball to the ceiling. I put the plates, napkins, cups, coasters and all the food related items on the kitchen table while Tucker started set out the fireworks in the backyard.

"Okay Tucker I think we're good with decorating right now, let's make food" I told Tucker who was digging a small hole for a bucket in the dirt. He got up off his knees, dusted himself off and walked into the kitchen.

"Okay, let's make a turkey, fruitcake, cider, eggnog, pecan pie, Christmas ham, hot chocolate, plum pudding and I also bought some gingerbread houses for us to build. We're also going to need a cooler in the living room to house some of the colder drinks"

I went to the oven and started cooking the turkey that I had stuffed a few days before. Hopefully it'll be done before everybody gets here. Thankfully, Tucker knew how to bake and enjoyed it so it was quiet easy for him to make the pie crusts and start mixing the deserts.

After a few hours of sheer running around and panic, we were halfway done with making the main dishes and we had calmed down a bit. We were on to just mixing the hot chocolate and filling in the pies. The ham was in the processes of curing in the brick oven that we had in the backyard.

Pass another hour and all our pies were ready, drinks and music were set up and the only thing that was left to do was take out the turkey and the ham.

"I think we're done. Now we have like half an hour before the guests should start arriving" I said, sitting down on the couch.

Tucker flipped the switch to light up the outside of the house with twinkling red and green Christmas lights. He waltzed over to the couch and just as he was supposed to sit down, the doorbell rang.

"Someone's early" I stood up and walked over to the door, opening it to reveal Tucker's sister, Emma.

"Hey! You're early" Tucker said, giving a hug to his sister. 

"I thought maybe you guys needed help and I was so excited to see you again I thought I would come early" she explained, stepping inside the house and taking off her shoes to reveal panda socks.

"Cute" I pointed and she nodded in response. 

"We actually finished setting everything up about ten minutes ago so we're good on the help part but you can hang around" Tucker said, inviting her into the kitchen.

"However, I think we should wait for everybody else to get here and then we can start eating" I said.

"Of course" Emma agreed.

With that, I went out into the backyard to get the ham out of the oven while I asked Tucker to get the turkey out.

Everything was on the table and ready, the music was on when Jordan and Erin shoed up.

"Welcome guys" Tucker said, patting Jordan on the back and hugging Erin. They started chatting with Emma, getting to know her when Ally and Brennon arrived. 

The constant inflow of guests, kept us busy.

Dec, Tom and Tom's sister Alice all came at the same time. Followed by Beth, Hayli and James who was the last one to arrive.

"Let's party!" I raised a glass of apple cider and so did everybody else, cheering.

We ate and chatted about various topics, remembered the past topics from the year and laughed.

By eleven at night, the table looked like a mess and everybody had transferred themselves into the living room. Tucker kept turning up the music to drown out the constant whoops of happiness coming from the party guests. 

At fifteen to midnight I paused the music and gathered everybody around the table. 

"Guys, let's celebrate the passing year and celebrate the forthcoming year. I wish everybody joy and love throughout this year and forever" Tucker said a small speech. 

Everybody raised their glasses and drank to everybody's health.

10

9

8

7

6

5

4

3

2

1

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!" everybody yelled. 

"Happy New Year" I kissed Tucker and I saw Jordan do the same to his wife.

Everybody continued cheering and the party continued until the dawn.