Chapter 34: Old Companions

Sonja's POV:

I woke up the next morning feeling sore from all of our adventures from the day before. I got up and out of bed and smiled at the Indian Jones hat that was sitting on my bed side table. Lazily scratching my head I made my way to the kitchen and threw together some cereal and milk in a bowl. I was sitting in the kitchen, staring into nothingness when I saw Tucker waltz into the kitchen.

"Morning" he beamed and ruffled my hair. I mumbled back an mhmm and resumed eating. Tucker hopped around the kitchen piecing together a fruit bowl from the various assortment of the fruits we had available. He sat down across from me and gnawed on his pineapple, mango, papaya, passion fruit, dragon fruit and coconut. I stared at him with an astonished face expression because I was genuinely confused at how he had so much energy.

"How?" I trailed off hoping he got the jest of my question. His eyebrows furrowed and he put his spoon down.

"Ah" he brought a piece of coconut to his mouth. "How I'm still alive after yesterday?"

I nodded, dumbfounded at the outburst of energy.

"Easy, I don't think about the searing pain in my legs and torso and just think about the fun we had" Tucker finished his statement.

I stared at him eating the fruit for a good couple of minutes until he put his spoon down and raised his eyes.

"Can I help you?" he inquired.

I shook my head.

"What are we doing today?" I asked.

"I was thinking we could have a sleepover and pretend we're twelve year old princesses" Tucker resumed eating.

I chuckled a his remark "No but seriously"

"I'm completely serious. Tom is flying in today at six in the evening, and we haven't really seen the other in a long time" Tucker stretched the O in the word long. I nodded my head at the preposition of a sleepover.

"So how about it? We can go out to the store, buy some absurdly stupid decorations and invite lots of people and just have a chill party" Tucker got up to put his plate in the sink and then he came back, grabbed mine and dropped it of at the sink too. He proceeded to stand in the middle of the kitchen, staring at me with his arms at his sides.

"Let's do it" I exclaimed, my soreness and tiredness being swept away all of a sudden like a small, inconspicuous bird on a big, strong gust of wind.

"Let's get dressed and we can go to Target for some party supplies"

I ran to our room and pulled out a simple outfit from my closet. I grabbed a pink t-shirt with the letters iiJer on them (represent the husband, right?), black leggings and a pair of black converse. I brushed out my hair, put on a light coat of mascara and my sunglasses and headed back to the kitchen. Tucker was sitting on the bar stool, swinging his leg back and forth, examining his shoe.

"Ready?" his head shot up and he extended his hand.

"I am indeed" I grinned and took his hand.

We shopped for party decorations and ended up buying some pink balloons, pink streamers, confetti, fireworks (I know they're illegal to shoot in neighborhoods but pretend that doesn't exist), a rainbow ice cream cake, a pink table cloth, some chips, soda, beer and candy. We made it back home with seven bags each and set everything up. It looked like a pink massacre once we were done. The last step was setting up a disco ball and a stereo system. It took Tucker ten minutes to wire everything up because he was savvy with technology. We sat back on the couch, puffing and observing the work we had accomplished.

"High five"

Tucker glanced at the clock which read 'fifteen minutes to six'.

"OH NO!" Tucker shot up and ran out of the door. It took me a few seconds and then my eyes widened in realization that Tom's plane lands in ten minutes and Tucker and I are supposed to be there to pick him up. I followed Tucker out the door and sat in the car.

"Drive!"

After about forty-five minutes we arrived at Los Angeles International Airport to see a very agitated Tom sitting atop his suitcase. We of course sent him a text letting him know we were going to be a little bit late. Tucker pulled over at the curb and shot out of the car, me following closely behind him. I saw Tom's face expression soften and then a smile spread on his face when he saw his best friend. Tom got up and ran full speed at Tucker, enveloping him in a hug, tears threatening to spill out of his eyes. Tom was actually a very sentimental person when it came to his family and friends.

"I missed you so much" he mumbled into Tucker's shoulder.

"It's been over a year, I've missed you too bud" Tucker replied.

Tom let go, patted Tucker's cheek, called him a few kind words and then proceeded to hug me.

After a few 'how are you's' and 'what's been happening's' we got back into the car and drove back to the house.

Tom laughed his head off, seeing the house decorated into bright pink and even seeing the pink pool outside.

We turned on the disco ball and music and waited for the other guests to arrive.