Chapter 1

Ishpreet Kaur

"ISHPREET GET DOWN HERE!" I rolled my eyes at my mother's shouting before walking downstairs.

I'm Ishpreet, the oldest child in my family. My friends call me Isha while my family calls me bandri.

Living in this joint family has been my reality since the day I took my first breath, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Sure, there are moments when these folks can drive me up the wall with their silly antics, but deep down, I know they mean well. They're my family, after all, and we stick together through thick and thin.

As I embark on my journey to become an ophthalmologist, I find solace in the chaos of our joint family. It's a bustling household, filled with laughter, arguments, and everything in between. But amidst the chaos, I've learned valuable life lessons that no textbook could ever teach me. From my grandparents' wisdom to my cousins' unwavering support, this joint family has shaped me into the person I am today.

Sure, there are times when I yearn for a bit of peace and quiet, especially when I'm buried in medical school textbooks. But then, I remember the countless nights spent studying with my siblings, the late-night conversations with my parents about the wonders of the human eye, and the joy of witnessing my family's pride when I excel in my studies. These moments make it all worthwhile, reminding me that I am not alone in this pursuit of my dreams. In this joint family, I have a network of love and support that propels me forward, even on the toughest of days.

"Hanji Mumma?" I asked when I reached the kitchen.

"Go sit at the table. We all need to have a word" she said, frying the bhature along with my massi and Mami.

I have a clear understanding of what this word entails. In my Punjabi household, it seems that happiness cannot be achieved until I bring home a suitable son-in-law. But what exactly do they expect from me? Throughout my entire life, I have been constantly reminded not to engage in conversations with boys, only to be bombarded with questions like, "Have you met someone, Puttar?" or "Isha, do you have a boyfriend?" It's truly baffling! It appears that this is a common issue among all Indians. However, my family's requirements are quite specific - they desire a proper Gursikh boy who religiously ties a turban and visits the gurudwara every Sunday and on special occasions. If only I could make them understand that this ideal superhero they want me to marry simply does not exist.

Throughout my life, I have only come across a handful of men who meet my family's expectations. These include my father, Massard Ji, mamu, and brothers. They are the epitome of what my family deems as the perfect son-in-law. They possess all the qualities that my family desires - they are devout Gursikhs who religiously tie turbans and regularly attend the gurudwara. However, finding someone outside of my immediate family who fits this mold has proven to be quite challenging.

It's not that I haven't tried to meet new people or explore potential relationships. But the reality is that the majority of men I encounter do not align with my family's expectations. They may not be as religiously inclined or may not adhere to the traditional practices that my family holds dear. It's a constant struggle to find someone who not only meets my own personal criteria but also satisfies the stringent requirements set by my family. Sometimes, I can't help but feel trapped between the desires of my heart and the expectations of my family. If only they could understand that finding the perfect son-in-law is not as simple as they make it out to be.

As soon as the chole bhature were set on the table, my siblings and I dug in, not caring about our surroundings. This is what happens when your Punjabi and love chole bhature. You can't be Punjabi and not like these few things