Chapter 11

3rd Person

The wedding season has officially begun.

10 days till they're married.

The pathe starts in an hour and Isha's almost ready.

As a kid, she never liked sitting in a pathe for long. All of the siblings sat for about a half-hour then they would go to the langar hall.

Now as an adult, they can sit in the pathe for as long as they'd like. And since Isha's the bride, she has to work also. But not even half as much as her siblings do.

They have to wear such a heavy outfit too.

"Ready?" Roop asked her

"Ready?" Roop asked her. Isha sighed and nodded.

● ● ●

The pathe was officially over and it was time for the kurmai.

Isha sat down in front of beed sahib. Mummy began the rasam as she is Navraj's mother.

"You know, he's hasn't stopped talking about you" she shoved a laddo in Isha's mouth.

"Acha ji, he called her earlier but we stole her phone" Roop smirked. Seerat gaped at her. Isha rolled her eyes at their stupid behavior.

After Mummy came Daddy. He took Isha's hand and slipped some bangles onto them.

"You know, these were my mothers? She would've been so happy that Navraj was marrying you" he kissed her forehead.

After Mummy and Daddy, Divraj and phabi Seerat. Seerat slipped a ring into Isha's middle finger and hugged her.

"He's so happy. He really loves you" Divraj grinned.

"We'll see" Isha said and they all laughed.

Next came Manraj and a few of Navraj's friend, Sukhman, Avneet, and Prabhjot. Growing up, she hated all of them, but now, since she's going to be their phabi they've gotten closer.

"We have a gift for our bhabi," Manny said. Isha raised an eyebrow at him. They hand her a jewelry box.

She opened it to see a beautiful locket with a picture of her and Navraj from when they were younger.

"Aww! Guys, this is beautiful! But it would've been better without your annoying friend" she hugged them.

"That's not all," Sukhman said. Isha looked at him confused. He handed her another box. She opened it to see a bracelet that says Vadi bhabi.

"We have matching ones" Prabhjot grinned as he showed me his bracelet that says Chota dewar. Isha giggled and signaled for him to put it on her.

● ● ●

Everyone finally left and she's exhausted.

"Hey guys, have you seen Manny paji?" Avni asked. They all glanced at each other and shook their heads. "I can't find him anywhere. Bhua needs him" she groaned.

Ishw got up and walked upstairs, knowing that he must be there.

She found him on the balcony staring into space.

"You're missing her?" She asked

Manny's long time girlfriend, Dimpy passed away along with her parents in a plane crash 3 years ago. She was around Isha's age.

"Yeah" he nodded. She turned him around to face me. His tear-stained face was visible to her. "When I saw the picture of you and Navi, I remembered Dimpy" he whimpered. She pulled him in close and he cried on her shoulder.

"She didn't deserve to die. It should've been me" she pulled away and glared at him.

"Oh shut up! Whatever happened was God's will. Not any of ours. And think about it. Wouldn't Dimpy want you to be happy?" She asked. He nodded. She softly smiled. "Manny, we're your family and always have been. And I'm your phabi now, you better listen to me"

"And you're the best friend I've ever wanted" they turned around to see Navraj standing there. "And I know that Dimpy would have been proud of the person you are today. We all are"

"Appan Sare ik vaddi family han" Arsh said.

"Group hug!"

● ● ●

Today is Navraj's shagun. The pathe was officially over and it was now time for his kurmai.

"Hurt my sister and I'll kill you" Manan threatened as he put a ladoo into his mouth.

It's funny how Manan believes Navraj believe his threats. He has seen the boy grow up.

Roop pulled him away. Next went Simar to feed Navraj.

"If she even sheds one tear because of you, I'll skin you" Simar threatened as he fed his brother-in-law a rasgula.

"Simar, you've spent your childhood with me. You can't hurt me" Navraj laughed. Simar laughed and hugged him.

After Simar came Hardeep.

"We're giving you our diamond. If you don't take care of her you will be 6,000 feet under instead of 6" Hardeep threatened.

Did Navraj pay any heed to these threats? No. He loves Isha too much to purposely hurt her.

Next went Arsh.

"You may be a good friend of mine, but she's my sister and I won't hesitate a second before killing you if you hurt her" he threatened.

Damn, they're threats are actually beginning to scare me.

Next went Parminder, Isha's massard ji.

"She is the apple of our eyes. Hurt her and remember that her Massard is still alive"

After Parminder, went Indermohan, her nana ji.

"If I ever hear one complaint against you, I won't hesitate to snap your neck in half, chop you into tiny pieces and feed you to stray dogs" Nana ji was the only one was could startle me even a little bit.

The girls pushed all of the men away and sat next to me.

"So, jija ji, we have a few gifts for you" Roop smirked.

"Acha ji?"

"Hanji" Reet grinned. She opened a jewelry box and showed me a ring. "Look inside it" I looked through the ring and saw a picture of Isha and Navraj from when they were younger.

"Damn girls, I love this" he grinned sliding it on. "Where did you find this picture?" He asked.

"I've saved every single picture of you guys from when we were younger" Roop smiled.

After 2 hours they were finally free.

"No means no. You can not see di till the sangeet" Roop yelled at me.

She's got to be kidding me.

He finally gave up and stomped to his room.