Chapter 31

Navraj Singh

Finally. This day is almost over. I finally get to see my Buggad again.

"Yeah buggs"

"Navi, can you pick up some pads before coming home?" She asked.

"Yeah, sure. Is everything alright?" I asked.

She knows I'm the last person who's can get stuff. I can't even grocery shop. Isha says I'm just like my father-in-law. I can't even be half the man he is. Sunny papa saved Nana Ji from dying so many times in 3 months. I could never imagine doing that.

Isha told me about a promise Papa made to her. He promised Isha that Nana Ji would be home in two months tops, and he kept his word. He did not let Nana Ji die that year and Isha never stops talking about that time in her life. That was just a year after I turned 16 meaning she was turning 13 that year.

"Yeah, everything's fine. I'm just on my period and I need pads." She grumbled. I chuckled and nodded to myself.

"Alright, I'll be home soon," I said before hanging up.

❤❤❤

"I'm home!" I exclaimed as soon as I entered the house. Everyone was sitting around the couch, except Isha. "Why are you all looking like someone died?" I asked.

"Your beloved father's mother called." Mom glared at Dad.

"And?"

"Isha answered. We kind of forgot to tell your Dadi that you're married. She called to tell us about a Rishta" Dad scratched the back of his neck.

Fuck! Isha's going to kill me!

"Are you kidding me?!" I slid down the door with my head in my hands. This siyapa is not going to end well.

"What the hell are you doing? Get up and go talk to her!" Phabi exclaimed. I rushed to get up before running upstairs.

"Hi baby" I nervously chuckled. She looked up from packing her suitcase. "Why are you packing?" She ignored me. "I got your pads" I handed the bag to her. She snatched the bag before stuffing them into the suitcase.

"Isha, listen, whatever you heard wasn't true." I held her hand.

"So your Dadi hadn't been sending proposals for you? She said it to my face Navraj! You didn't have the guts to tell your grandmother about your wife!" She shouted.

Sometimes, I feel like jumping into a well.

"If you were so embarrassed by me, you could have just said so." She looked away. She then continued packing.

"Isha, I spent 2 months convincing you that I love you! All I've done is love you! How the fuck can you doubt me like that?" I shouted. She flinched. The pain was visible in her eyes. She turned back to her suitcase and continued packing. "Isha stop" I held her wrist only for her to slap me. I deserve that.

"Don't stop me." She said through bloodshot eyes. "Don't call me, don't text me." She zipped up her suitcase and rolled it down the stairs.

Mummy got up off the couch. "Isha, where are you going?" She asked.

"I'm going to my home. Where the people are not embarrassed by me" Isha said as her eyes bore into mine.

"Isha..." Phabi trailed off.

"No Phabi, I need a break. Just call me if you need anything"

❤❤❤

"This is all your fault!" Mummy screamed at Dad. Mummy never screams at Dad. She never screams. "Nothing can make your mother happy. Not even my death!"

"Mummy. What are you saying?" Phabi sighed.

"I'm speaking the truth. My saas hated me, she hates you, she now hates Isha, and she will hate Naina too!"

"Did you try talking to Isha?" Manny asked. I sighed before nodding.

"I've hurt her again. I vowed to never be the reason for her pain again. Yet, here we are..." I sighed.

"Navi, look. In the 3 months, I've been her jethani, we've become best friends. We can tell each other everything. She's basically my little sister. I've seen the love for you in her eyes." Phabi paused. "I've seen the pain in her eyes today. The pain I haven't seen in anyone ever. You need to show her that whatever happened was not true. You need to prove to her that you love her"

"But phabi, she won't even talk to me properly. She's just ignoring me"

"Try texting her" Divi suggested. I took out my phone from my back pocket and opened Whatsapp. I touched her icon before attempting to send her anything, I showed This person has blocked you.

Great. Just great. What the fuck am I supposed to do now?!

Lightbulb: Email her

I opened my email as fast as I could. I clicked on new before beginning to type.

Hey, jaaneman. I just wanted to say how much I love you and I want to talk. Can we please sort things out? I need you

"What did you say?" Mummy asked. I read the email out loud.

"That's perfect-" phabi was cut off by the doorbell.

I rushed to the door, thinking it was Isha. I was gravely mistaken. It was just my dadi who had just ruined my life.

"You didn't tell me Navraj was married!" She screamed. I have bigger problems to deal with. I pushed my way through everyone and to my room.

She left her laptop. I opened it to see her lock screen as a picture of the both of us...

I opened the tab to see tickets to Rose Gardens. I was dying to go there. Papa, my father-in-law said it was amazing there. I screwed up.

I sat in a fetal position on my bed before going into brainstorming mode.

Roop! I'll call Roop!

"Haan jija?"

"Your sister is coming to your house and she's pissed off," I explained the entire situation to her and she was also pissed off.

"Fine, I'll handle her"

After hanging up, I dozed off.

"Navi! Come here!" I chuckled before sprinting to the kitchen. "Hold the stool" I chuckled and nodded as she stood on the stool, reaching for a container.

Her foot suddenly slipped and she fell into my arms. We both couldn't help but laugh.

I got up with a jerk. I looked at my side where Isha usually sleeps only to see it empty.

When will things go back to normal?