Ch-36: Bᴀᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴏғ Cʜɪᴄᴀɢᴏ PT1

Previously...

Braedey now picked up a shotgun, reforming it with the power of the AllSpark into a fusion cannon, and cocks it armed. "Good. I'm going after him."

"You sure?" Simmons asked.

"Jasmine is the only thing I have left, Simmons." Braedey stated. "I've lost my Autobot family. I'm not losing my wife too. I can be in Chicago in 15 hours."

"You're not going alone." Braedey turned to see Epps leaning against a desk. They both then walk outside to Epps' Chevrolet Chevelle. "I still got my N.E.S.T. friends out there. I'll round them up, we find your wife, and bring this guy in."

"Epps... I can't thank you enough." Braedey thanks appreciatively.

Epps patted Braedey by his shoulder. "That asshole killed my friends too. The Autobots were my family just as much as they were to you."

"Now let's go get that son of a bitch." Braedey declared.

~*~*~

Epps drove off of the base and headed for the highway. Braedey did not question where he was going, and they sat in companionable silence. After about 40 minutes in the car, Epps pulled up outside a rundown house that looked more like a shack than a house. A large man answered the screen door. They hug one another in that manly style, clapping each other on the back and gripping hands in what was a cross between a handshake and an arm-wrestle. Through the night, they picked up three more of Epps's old NEST friends, and they all got into their heavy duty trucks and continue to drive forth towards the North.

They eventually arrived at Chicago just as the sun was rising, and the sight that greeted them shocked every single one of them to the core. It was an apocalyptic scene: rubble littered the streets, and every now and then, Braedey would see small clusters of bodies clumped together. He never looked long enough to see if they were alive or dead. In the air, there were a dozen or so Decepticon ships, positioned strategically. Braedey could tell they were there so no air support can get into the city. They got out of the car, and Braedey stared to look out at the heart of the city.

 They got out of the car, and Braedey stared to look out at the heart of the city

"By the AllSpark..." Braedey muttered softly.

"We came here to find her in the middle of all that?" Eddie gasped at the sight of the destruction before them.

"Are we really going out there, Epps?" Another soldier asked hesitantly.

Epps shook his head. "No one's going in."

Braedey armed his internal weapons. "If you're not, then I will. Sorry I brought you here guys." He then continued forward.

"You're gonna get yourself killed, Braedey." Epps stated as he ran up. "Is that what you want? Is that what you want?!" Epps then turns Braedey around. "You came all the way out here to get yourself killed? Huh?"