Chapter 75

Liam falls blissfully asleep only minutes after we pull out of the car park, I’m sure his stomach filled to the brim with curly fries and milkshake is making it very easy for him to plunge into a food coma.

We come to a red light, and after checking that Liam is definitely asleep, I lean over and pull Miles straight to my lips.

“You were so fucking good with him... He really liked you.” I whisper between breathless kisses.

“You ever doubted that he wouldn’t?” He replies cockily. “I’m insulted, but not as insulted as I am that the waitress genuinely thought I could be one of his dads. I was like twelve when that fucking kid was born.”

I laugh, lowering my forehead to his and ignoring the light change when I see that we are the only people on this part of the road anyway.

“God, don’t fucking remind me... Thank you for coming with us, it was amazing to see you guys getting on like that. Although it was seriously fucking hard to share you with someone, kind of want to keep you for myself for the rest of the night now.”

He lowers his lips back down onto mine, before preswing them along my jaw and up to the lobe of my ear, kissing the responsive flesh of my neck behind it.

“Then keep me... I’ll get May to cover.”

His kisses grow slow and deep as he draws them along the side of my neck, he's really not going to make this fucking easy for me.

“Miles... You know we can't do that tonight...”

He smirks as his teeth faintly graze against my skin, causing a shudder to release itself amongst every muscle in my body.

“Why not?” He breathes gruffly against my skin. His mouth moves lower until he's leaving open mouth kisses along my collar bone, while his other hand slides up my chest and lightly grips my neck, with his thumb forcing enough pressure against my pulsing artery that I can feel my head starting to go light and dizzy.

“You know why... Please don't make me say it...

He stops, graciously removing his lips from my skin and pulling back so that our eyes can meet once more.

“Make you say what Joshua?”

Stop it Miles. There’s a kid in the back seat of this car and the things that I currently want to do with you are definitely not appropriate for his viewing.

The heat rises rapidly up my neck as I fight to get the words off my tongue, I’m surprised he’s managing to keep his hand on it with the skin virtually at boiling point.

He continues to look at me like I have no real reason to keep him away tonight and I realise I’m going to have to say it, whether I like it or not.

“Because... It's a school night.”

All the sexual tension that was once running rampant in the air immediately disintegrates upon the sound of Miles’ deafening burst of hilarity. He can’t even control himself, his hand falling from my neck in order to clutch his stomach as he rolls from side to side in his seat unable to control his laughter.

“Wait... I can’t... This is seriously not how I thought you’d make me cry for the first time...” He laughs so much that I can hardly understand him talking, shoving the car back into drive and taking off towards Liam’s apartment building.

Even when we pull up outside he's still chuckling and wiping away the tears that are floating in his bottom lid.

I get ready to make another journey up the stairway to hell, but to my total disgust I realise Chrissy is already waiting outside the doors of the building. She scampers over towards the car, hardly balancing in her eight inch heels, her red dress so fucking short that anyone with keen eyesight would be able to tell you exactly what that bitch had for breakfast.

Swinging open my door, I step out before she has a chance to get any closer, and begin to unbuckle Liam from his seat. I realise that Miles has no idea who she is, so he's just kind of looking at me like he has no fucking clue what’s happening as I stare ruthlessly through the oversized bride of Chucky.

“Why are you waiting out here?” I question whilst stirring Liam gently from his sleep.

“None of your fucking business, give me my son.” I want to ask her again but it’s at this very moment that she glances through my open door, spotting Miles in the passenger seat and immediately changing her entire persona. She leans over so far, Miles could probably point out the colour of her areolas on a fucking paint chart. “Well hello there handsome, what’s a nice boy like you doing with a dickhead like this? I’m Christine, and you are...?”

Miles scans his eyes up and down her, she seems to take this as the guy checking her out, but the way his lips to up in a sneer I know that he’s thinking anything but nice things about this woman.

“I’m sorry, I’m not looking for any business tonight, but I bet there's a bachelor party on somewhere around here where you can make an absolute fortune... Although I guess it depends on what you charge by the hour, they might give you a bonus for taking two at a time.”

I don’t know what’s funnier, that Chrissy is raging so much her nails look ready to pierce the roof of my car with her grip, or that the moment he was done insulting her he returned his attention to his phone like the bitch was fucking invisible to him, only triggering her more.

Liam takes my hand and begins to pull me towards the building but I hardly get two steps before Chrissie reaches over and snatches him back to her. He winces slightly but doesn’t make another sound as she holds him by his wrist firmly at her side.

“Lovely fucking friends you've got there, not enough to steal my kid whenever you feel like it, you’ve got to go and find another one to keep you fucking company?”

Ironic that she’s calling Miles a fucking child only after he rejected her, if she'd ever managed to get him up into that apartment building with her she’d have realised that guy is all fucking man.

She doesn’t wait for me to respond, dragging Liam along with her as he waves gingerly back between me and Miles before suddenly she stops and turns to face the car.

“It was lovely to meet you, you absolute fucking cunt.” She directs with poison at Miles, but he responds by smiling widely, like she just gave him the biggest compliment, before leaning right over the centre console so she can see him clearly through the open door.

“Oh yeah, you too.” She turns to leave when he shouts out to her again. “Hey! Just so you know, my sister made me watch Pretty Woman like a hundred times so I definitely understand your struggle, I hope tomorrow night is better for you. I respect your right to hustle.”

Oh fuck... she’s definitely going to release one of her flying monkeys to get him while he sleeps tonight...

She lets go of Liam’s hand the moment they get through the door and I have to watch as he races with everything his little legs can do to keep up with her whilst she springs back up between the floors. He stops at the third floor window to wave at us before chasing after her again.

I know she’s just pissed because she has another meeting with the social worker tomorrow, but if she’d just pull her shit together and actually be a decent mother then we wouldn't have to fucking go through this.

This time when I get into the car and take off, I don’t hesitate in taking his hand and bringing it to my lips. I don’t think that Chrissy is used to being caught off guard like that and it was kind of the perfect end to the night to see him take her down a peg. At least I know Liam will be okay tonight with the social worker turning up so early tomorrow, she’ll be on her best behaviour with him.

Miles sets the music as I take all the back streets to get us from one side of Westbrooke to the other in as much time as physically possible. By the time we pass the high school I’ve extended our journey to twice what it would normally take.

“You and Charlie go for drinks on Fridays right?” I nod, squeezing his hand as I feel his thumb run circles along the back of my palm. “How pissed would he be if you missed it?”

“Pretty pissed but he’d get over it, why?”

Miles exhales deeply, taking his other hand and needing at the aching muscle in his shoulder. Shit, I’d completely forgotten that he was injured. I should never have made him come tonight, he probably just wants to rest with how sore that must be.

“If coach lets me play then Friday is kind of a big game, I think I’m going to get the top scoring record from Jayce and I was kind of wondering... if you'd come?”

Wow, Jayce is going to be pissed...  but he couldn’t be the Golden Boy of Westbrooke forever. If someone was going to take that record from him then it should be his brother, hopefully he'll actually be proud rather than resentful to see Miles’ name up on that wall.

I pull in at a space a few doors away from the Manor, the street is dark and dead at this time but I still check around us to make sure we are in the clear before I lean over and kiss him again.

“I wouldn’t miss it.”

The joy in him is clear but I wish he’d just realise by now that I would pretty much take any opportunity to fucking be with him.

God I don’t want to let him go. Everything that happened tonight has only proven what I already knew, this thing between us is fucking real. Is it possible that I’ve spent so much time searching for something that was right in front of me the entire time?

Miles grabs a fistful of my shirt and pulls my whole body across into him, this kiss so long and slow that I know he’s just trying to delay the inevitable. This would all just be so much easier if I never had to say goodbye to him, if I could just fall asleep every night with him being the last image to grace my eyes and wake up every morning to see his smiling face.

One day.

Gently pulling away from the kiss, I leave another delicate one before reaching up and gliding my thumb along his bottom lip in the way he always likes to do to me. The noise that leaves him most closely resembles a purr of satisfaction from an elated kitten, but it still hits me directly in the chest when I look up to see the stars sparkling back at me in his eyes.

“After the game, when I destroy that record, I’m taking you out to celebrate. Now it’s my turn to make you fucking happy.”

Oh fuck, he's taking me out on a date...

“Don't be expecting me too hire out a museum, but I am pretty sure I have something that will make you just as happy.”

I nod with our heads pressed together, my hand weaved into the back of his hair so tightly that everything in my body is screaming at me to just take this man home tonight. I want him. I want him with me.

My world becomes existentially colder when he leaves a final kiss on my head before slipping out through the door and exiting away into the darkness. I’m glad he had the strength to leave because I couldn't make him.

I never thought it could be like this, I thought the world wasn't this generous. I was given an angel once, someone so pure and full of light that he changed my entire existence in the blink of an eye. When he was snatched away and his wings returned, I thought that I would never be given the chance to experience anything like that again, most people aren't.

But I have, I’ve been given a fucking gift in that man and now I know...

... I have to make him mine.

Please remember to vote and comment beauts ❤