Chapter 177

JOSH’S P.O.V.

“Mom, I’m seriously going to crash the fucking car if you keep doing that.” Not that it actually makes her stop kissing me all over my fucking face, no matter how much I’m swerving in and out of fucking traffic on our way to the Manor.

“No! I haven’t been able to kiss my little Elmo-nstrosity in months! Now I’m going to take advantage of every second.” Liam continues to laugh his little head off in the back, I wouldn’t mind so much if she wasn’t wearing bright red fucking lipstick that’s definitely going to stain my skin.

I’ve missed her.

I’d never fucking tell her that out loud obviously, but I have missed her.

She almost didn’t make it back, the private investigator got hold of an address for my father at the last minute - in Canada. She insisted on flying up to get him to sign the paperwork before coming back down here for Christmas, even if it meant her missing it.

I’d always assumed he was off in Europe somewhere, but turns out he's been hiding in some log cabin up in the fucking mountains. A five hour flight, that’s all it would’ve taken for him to see his fucking kids, useless fucking prick.

Brie was a little pissed that my mother and aunt got to go and confront my father without her, she's had a few choice words she's wanted to say to him for years now but it was more important that he gave his consent for Liam, than she got to give him a mouthful of her fist.

For now.

I wish I could have been there to see his fucking face when my mother smacked her on his front door. She said it was a fucking picture, as if all the life just drained from his body at the sight of the ghost of Christmas fucking past come back to haunt him.

The idiot has the audacity to fucking hit on her! She’s so much stronger than the woman he knew now, he’s just a has-been sitting in a dilapidated cabin in the middle of nowhere hiding from the world, she’s living her best life and growing brighter every day.

She shut him down. Quick. Reminding him he’s worth fucking nothing to her before answering a video chat from one of the hot twenty year old Spanish waiters that are practically ready to propose to her any day now.

If that’s not the sweetest revenge an ex-wife can get, I don’t know what is.

It doesn’t matter now, I’m not sure what she said to him but he signed all the papers and spoke with Stephanie to give his consent for me to get full custody of Liam. Shockingly, he even asked if there was a way he could sign his parental rights over to me so I could keep him permanently right now, but that’s not the way that it works.

You could almost be fooled into believing he’s changed somewhat, but when my mother was leaving he was pushing one girl out of the back door of the cabin before the other one walked in through the front.

Leopards and their fucking spots.

In some ways I think my mom’s happier having seen him, she needed that closure. She put up with so much shit off him for so long, now she's thriving and I think it was nice for her to shove it all in his face.

Liam woke up this morning and it was fucking amazing, he didn't know that she flew in last night so seeing her sit next to the Christmas tree when he came down made his whole face light up. She almost burst into tears when he ran straight into her arms, he’s come so far too. He kept telling her that he didn’t need presents now that she was there, which finally made her sob. She's made a point of being the grandmother that he never got to have and he loves her the same way that any grandchild would.

Of course the fact that she hunted down an original Gameboy colour and like forty new games for it, pretty much made her his hero today. He loves a nostalgic games console and he’s had his eye on that one for a while.

“Are you sure that Tara is okay with me coming for dinner? I’m so excited to have all my boys under one roof,  and my future daughter in law of course, it’s so kind of Tara to host us...  Although I guess I should get used to it... Unless you and Milo plan on hosting everybody next year?” She smirks, she hasn’t made subtle that she’s practically ready to marry me off any day now.

At least she’s stopped calling me an old maid.

Running her thumb along my cheek,  she tries to clear away the lipstick but I’m sure she’s just making it fucking worse. I guess I should be grateful that it’s going to cover the blush filling my cheeks right now when I remember her tiny interrogation of my boyfriend this morning.

I tried to time everything perfectly so she wouldn’t get the chance to corner Miles this morning, he stayed last night so he could be with Liam to watch him open his presents but he had to get over to the Manor to see everybody there as well. I tried to work it so she only got enough time to say how fucking handsome he is, hit on him twice, then keep her eyes firmly glued to his ass as he walked away.

That didn’t happen.

Instead she bombarded him with questions, practically shoved a fucking light in his eyes to check his pupils weren’t dilating with each answer, then when she was satisfied his intentions with her son were pure... proceeded to get his opinion on her Pinterest boards of what she feels our wedding should look like. It was awkward but he took it like a champ, flickering his eyes over to me every time she showed him something he actually liked.

I’m not going to sit here and pretend my stomach wasn’t floating away with the dreams filling my head every time I watched his eyes light up with visions of the future. It was beautiful.

What was less beautiful was my mother flicking through the folder marked ‘conquests’. I don’t know what she showed him exactly but by the look on his face I could tell that none of these men were appropriate... or clothed.

Thank fuck Charlie and Han are doing Christmas at Han’s family’s this year because having her, Brie and him in one room might cause the world to fucking implode with an overdose of sexual innuendos.

“Mom, can you not? I know that you’re really excited about us being together but we've only actually been dating for a few months, everyone needs to stop being so quick to marry us off.” It’s something I have to keep reminding myself of every fucking day.

You can’t ask him to marry you yet.

See? It’s becoming my new mantra.

One that quickly leaves my mind whenever I think about him sitting on the floor with Liam, pretending that he’s shocked at the boot prints he put into the flour on the floor the night before. He really wanted Liam to believe that Santa really did come down that fucking chimney.

Liam loved every fucking second, but not nearly as much as I did. That man is baby daddy material and I fucking know it.

We pull into the drive of the Manor, Heather already bouncing up and down at the top of the steps, waving like crazy at Liam, who instantly forgets his Gameboy and starts waving back.

My mother looks between Heather and Liam’s smiling faces, chuckling to herself whilst putting her phone back into her bag.

“Don't tell me that you’re adding these two to your list of people you’re ready to marry off too?” Ever since Brie and Steve she thinks she’s some bloody match maker. The car stops and Liam springs straight from his seat to run up to Heather.

“I don’t know about that one...” She giggles, looking at the two kids hugging like crazy. “He actually reminds me a lot of you as a kid.”

What the fuck is that supposed to mean?

I don’t get a chance to ask her, the moment that Miles steps out of the door her attention is completely zoned in on him.

“I’ve got to say... He really did grow up well didn’t he...” If my mother could stop looking so fucking doe eyed at my boyfriend I’d really fucking appreciate it. “Don’t look at me like that, he could still switch back to my team.”

Is this what the rest of my life is going to be like?

“Mother!” I try, but what is the fucking point? This is just who she is now. Brie comes running out of the door, my mother barely gets onto her feet before they’re both tightly wound up in each others arms.

This is a dangerous combination. One that’s only going to get worse throughout the day whilst they both continue to spike the fucking eggnog and then drink the fucking lot.

I’m not sure what they’re whispering as they look at my man but I don’t fucking like it already.

Miles walks over as I open the trunk, reaching in and taking an armful of presents before capturing the back of my head with his hand and placing a soft kiss on my lips. I only saw him a few hours ago, how is it possible I’ve missed him this much already?

My mother’s eyes soften when she looks at us, I think there was a part of her that honestly didn’t believe I’d ever find this... there was a part of me that felt that way too.

I managed to get the rest of the presents into my arms, struggling to shut the car after me, but of course neither my mother or Brie make any effort to fucking help when they’re over there too busy acting like the witches of fucking Eastwick over a cauldron filled with available young men.

“Hey, mini Thompson!” Brie shouts, my mother instantly turning back into a fucking teenager when she’s around her and chuckling at whatever Brie is about to do. “Do me a favour? Take your shirt off so Denise can see the real reason that Josh is with you, she hasn't had a chance to appreciate the full package yet.”

Oh you have got to be fucking kidding me.

Miles stops, looking back at me like he doesn't know what the fuck to do. I know he wants my mother to like him but like fuck is that happening.

“Brianna! Don’t fucking encourage her!” Brie just shoves her tongue out at me before capturing my mother’s hand and practically skipping back into the house.

If nothing else, it’s nice to see her smiling. The wedding is only six days away now and yesterday with all the added Christmas stress on top she looked about ready to slit someone’s throat.

Where is Chrissy when you need her?

“Today should be fun then...” Miles laughs, trying his best not to drop any of the presents as he walks up the steps. I’m grateful when I step inside and Jayce is there waiting for me with open arms too take some of the load.

It seems that Steve was also going to help but couldn’t now my mother has tightly wrapped herself around him like a boa constrictor. She’s missed him, their relationship is something that's grown so much over time and now I don’t think either of them could imagine their worlds without the other.

They’re all alive with Christmas spirit, or maybe that’s just the glass of gin in everybody’s hands. May is still quiet, I’m not sure that she's ever going to completely go back to the bubbly girl we once knew but at least she’s smiling again when she looks over at Heather.

Nobody has left her alone since what happened, I think they all know it was a one time thing but there’s still that fear that the moment they leave her she’s going to fall back into the darkness.

Steve has been crashing on the couch so that May can sleep in with Brie but he doesn’t care, he just wants that girl to be safe.

Miles has been over there a lot, I’m scared that he’s spreading himself too thin but he keeps telling me that it's fine. I know it really hurt Tara and Cole when they found out what she did, Cole especially felt like he'd fucking betrayed her or something by letting her leave the Manor, but in all honesty what else could he do?

There was a conversation about her moving back in here but she quickly shut it down, this was never truly her home, I’m not sure that Brie’s place is either. One day she may have to find it for herself, create a family of her own and a place to call home to go along with it.

Just like I did.

“Which one is mine?” Heather’s tiny head pops up out of nowhere, picking up each of the presents from the table and scanning through the labels, almost tossing aside the ones that aren’t for her. “Did you forget mine? Is it because you’re a stupid man, because auntie Beebee said that some men are reeeeeally stupid. Do you need feminism? She said sometimes stupid men need a shot of feminism.”

Brie has created a monster.

I’d like to consider myself a feminist already thank you very much! You can’t have grown up around Brie and Lee and not think that the future is fucking female.

Liam walks over sheepishly, tapping Heather on the shoulder and handing her the little box with her present in. He insisted on carrying it over here himself, he didn’t want it to get lost.

She pulls him into a giant hug, one which he quickly returns. I think he would have stayed there all day if everybody wasn’t oohing and ahhing at how fucking cute they look.

The two of them run away and I know the moment she’s torn it open because her tiny little shriek fills the room, Liam practically getting squished under the weight of her as she throws her entire self on top of him. She immediately runs over to her father so that Jayce can clip the delicate locket around her neck.

Look how fucking happy he is... You did good little man.

Liam picked it out himself, he was just standing there staring through the jewellery shop window, the minute I asked him if he wanted me to get it for Heather he practically stole it trying to get it out of the shop so quickly. He really adores her, I think he’d pretty much do anything to make her smile.

Al stands watching the two of them, smiling and extending her arms to me so I’ll walkover and fall into her hug. Brie quickly pulls my mother through my path but when I look back at Al... Where the fuck did she get those chips from? She hasn’t moved! She’s literally in the exact same spot... She was out of my vision for less than a second... Her hands were fucking empty and now she has two giant bags of fucking chips!

That’s not possible...

Super powers. She has superpowers. It’s the only explanation.

Miles told me about the plant pot but...

That present next to her looks suspicious... That is a very suspicious present.

Al pulls me into her arms as soon as I’m close enough, not caring that she's getting fucking chip crumbs all over the back of my shirt as she rubs her hand up and down it.

“You okay prego?” It's good to see her smiling again. She never wanted to be angry and it didn’t suit her. Happy Al munching chips and smiling at her kids is definitely my favourite version of this girl.

“Yeah, I’m good. Feel like I’m getting seriously old every time I look at how big my baby girl has gotten but otherwise...” I know what she means, I feel the same way when I look at Liam.

It’s funny how in your head sometimes kids just stay a certain age, I can’t count how many times I’ve told people that Liam is still four. We both just stand and watch the two of them sitting on the couch, Heather fiddling with her necklace whilst Liam shows her his Gameboy.

It’s crazy to think that in a few short years it will be their turn to takeover... The next generation’s time to start telling their own stories.

As a pair of perfectly sculpted arms slip their way around my waist, all I can hope is that we have certain people to add to those stories as well.

Our own additions to that series.

“Hey JLo! Where’s my presents?”

I’m going to fucking kill her.

The whole room stops what it's doing and jerks the entire spotlight to us the moment they realise that Brie is talking about me and Miles. Al’s hand shoots up to cover her mouth and there’s practically tears in her eyes with laughter.

“How the hell didn’t we think of that sooner..? This is the best day of my life!” Al starts clapping like a fucking crazy person, I turn and bury my head into Miles’ neck when her and Brie decide to breakout into a poorly rehearsed fucking dance routine whilst murdering Love Don’t Cost a Thing at the top of their lungs.

This is really going to fucking stick isn’t it...

And how the fuck do I know all the words to this song?!

Miles snickers, holding the back of my head and kissing my temple.

“Aren’t you glad that we told them about us now?”

Debatable.