Chapter 101

Liam sits on the kitchen counter, looking out the window longingly at the two people playing basketball outside.

Miles and Heather have been at it for over an hour, he hasn’t done anything that will particularly irritate his shoulder but he seems quite happy to just run around playing God of the hoop with her.

“Do you want to go out with them?” I ask again for the fourth time but yet again he responds by shaking his head. Liam has never really shown much interest in sports before now, he clearly just wants to play to impress Heather, but I think he’s scared if he goes out there right now with no skills to back him up, that he won’t make the impression he wants.

Heather comes crashing in through the back door, almost hitting the thing off its hinges as she races towards the fridge.

“I need water!” She almost slips on the tiles when she steps back opening the bottle, Liam leaning down and managing to capture her arm before she goes sliding all over the place. She smiles up at him, really smiles before taking a big glug of her water, then reaching up and pulling him into a hug. “My hero.”

Oh look at his face, does she even realise what she does to this poor boy? Even I’m not this oblivious.

“Do you want to come out and play with us? We can be on the same team. Uncle Milo won’t stand a chance against the both of us, I could totally take him on my own if he wasn’t such a freaky giant person.” It does seem like Westbrooke is a magnet for tall men... Liam jumps down from the counter faster than I even realised he was capable of moving. Of course she only has to ask fucking once and he's straight there.

I clean up the last of the dishes from breakfast whilst looking at them all through the window. Al said that Jayce woke up early this morning and went for a run but I haven’t seen him since. Jayce always had a habit of disappearing when he needs to clear his head.

What Heather is doing out there less resembles basketball and more resembles some kind of weird dodgeball where she basically just pelt her uncle with balls until he's laying on the floor and begging for mercy.

Liam doesn’t seem to care, he just keeps looking at that girl like she hangs the stars.

I guess I probably have the same look on my face staring at her gorgeous uncle though huh?

“You know you’ve been cleaning that same mug for three minutes now, right?” Brie shoves her hip into mine, sending me crashing into the counter as she takes the mug out of my hand.  “I guess I can see why now. Damn, the ass on that man is no fucking joke...  Has he let you..?”

“Say one more fucking word Brianna. Just one more fucking word and –”

“Enough with the damn threats lover boy, I was just giving your man a compliment.” She chuckles, finishing off the last of the dishes before throwing a tea towel at me so that I can dry, even though I basically just fucking washed them all. “So, how is everything going with you two?”

“Good.” I answer quickly, I really don’t know how to feel about talking with Brie about this yet.

“Good? That’s all I get, good?” She reaches over and picks up a piece of bacon that I scraped off somebody else’s plate earlier before washing it. Her and May seriously have no issues in eating other peoples food and I can’t decide if I respect it or it’s really fucking gross.

“Okay, they’re fucking amazing. Better?”

She nods her head, sucking the bacon grease off the tips of her fingers.

“Better but you’re still being skingy on the details babe. What’s the matter? Didn’t get laid last night? Oh God, has mini Thompson got issues with his mini Thompson?”

One day, when I kill this girl and they pull me up in front of a jury, I will tell them the story of this conversation and there is not a person in the world that would fucking convict me. She might be the most annoying human being on the fucking planet, but unfortunately I still love her.

“There are no fucking issues there, trust me, I’m just not having this conversation with you.” She snatches one of the mugs out of my hand just as I dry it and begins to fill it with coffee.

“Why?!” She says like it's not completely obvious. “I tell you everything about me and Steve, I didn’t hold back any details when I told you about that time that he let me peg –”

“I told you to never ever tell me that story again! I will never get over that trauma.” The images of that story will haunt me to my fucking grave... “I just...  I know that you’re saying you're cool with all of this but I don’t want to make you uncomfortable unnecessarily. I know that this is going to be weird for you guys for a while.”

Brie pushes her palms into the counter to lift herself up until she's perched on the edge, shaking out her hand to try and bring some life back to it. She’s been struggling with the nerve damage there more often lately.

“Come here you beautiful moron.” She reaches out and snatches my shirt in her fist before tugging my body into hers and burying my face in her chest. Again. It’s a testament to our love for each other that this movement has actually started to become comforting, if slightly unsettling. “Josh, when I say I don’t give a fuck, I mean I don’t give a fuck. I love you, I love him, and I’m really loving how fucking happy you both seem. I want you to tell me everything just like you would any other guy you were falling for, with the last name Thompson or not. I’m really okay with you two, you're actually really kind of fucking cute.”

Have I mentioned that I love her?

“How are you so okay with all of this Brie?” Maybe if she tells me, I can start to believe that everybody else will be okay too.

Brie smiles, looking past the three people throwing their ball and over down to the large body of water that makes up the lake.

“I made a promise, I made a promise to someone really fucking special that when the time came I would be here for you. There are powers so much greater than us at work here Josh, people don't come together for no reason. You know me, I don’t break my promises. I’m on your team, I am always on your fucking team...  and I promise you I always will be.”

How did I ever live without this girl?

The back door opens but neither of us move until we start to hear a cackling laughter from next to us.

“Brie, I’m not a jealous guy or anything but I’d appreciate it if you didn't smother my man to death with your fucking tits.”

“Bitch, your man has had his face in my boobs for years before you even touched your first pair. He’s very fucking happy there.” I’m definitely not but I’m not really up for arguing with her right now, instead I slowly peel my head away from her bouncing bosoms until I can see her face and leave a kiss on her cheek.

Stepping back, my hand brushes against Miles’ and he turns to smile at me. His smile is my favourite, of all the smiles in all the world I would still pick to look at his every fucking day.

Liam and Heather giggle from outside, happily continuing to play a game that appears to be of their own creation. May comes down the hall, her face in its usual position of staring down at her phone.

“I told Heather I’d take her to go feed the ducks, you wanna bring Liam with us?” She says to Miles without ever looking up from her screen. My heart begins to flutter in my chest when he smiles and nods at her, those two have really fucking bonded already and I don’t think he knows what that means to both me and Liam. Liam doesn’t find those connections easily, I guess it’s something we have in common, I’m glad that he's found something he really needed in Miles.

I look over at him, my eyes immediately falling to his lips as May calls for him to hurry up. Liam pulled me out of bed at the crack of dawn and we’ve been around other people ever since, I haven’t even touched them today...

“Oh will you just kiss him already! I seriously don’t know how long I can put up with you two making those fucking eyes at each other, your sweet young love is making me sick.” I look at Brie to see her smirking but Miles doesn't need permission twice, reaching over to grasp the back of my head before bringing his lips down onto mine.

It’s not like we can have a full on, smash-my-back-against-the-fridge-and-don’t-fucking-stop-until-I’m-screaming, make out session. It doesn’t stop him however running his tongue all along the edge of my lips before he pulls away.

He quickly chases after May, glancing back and winking at me as he shuts the door behind him.

“You two are hot.”

“Stop fetishizing gay men Brianna, we’ve had this conversation.” Brie rolls her eyes at me but they quickly turn into a squint as Charlie strolls in after finally deciding to get the fuck out of bed. Why can’t these two just get along? They both have more in common than they’d like to admit.

“She only fetishizes gay men because she wishes she was one. I know a good doctor that could fix you with a nice stiff womb raider and get rid of that horrific penis envy you seem to be struggling with, if you need it Brianna?” Oh here we fucking go again.

Brie narrows her eyes at Charlie, tapping her long acrylic nails on the counter and calculating her next move. Watching these two battle is like observing a pair of lionesses attempting to complete a game of chess; both of them are strategic but in reality they just want to claw each others eyes out.

“How about we just do a trade? I’ll take your poor excuse for a dick and you can have my vaj? That way your husband doesn’t feel like he’s fucking an overstretched elastic band every time he slips inside you anymore.”

For fucks sake Brianna.

Charlie’s claws extend and I can see the bloodbath a waiting to happen so instead I grab hold of his wrist and pull him back down the corridor. Stopping in front of the doors to his room, I try hard not to think of whatever state the bed in there is like considering the noise that him and Han were making all night.

“You two really have to stop this. What the hell is your problem?”

“She's just such a bitch.” He responds rolling his eyes.

“So is she!” Brie's voice echoes from the kitchen. You’re really not helping this situation Brianna!

Okay, time for the tough dad routine.

“You and Han still going to that antique fair thing today?” Charlie crosses his arms over his chest and nods, clearly unhappy with my tone. “Good, but when you come back you and Brie are sorting this shit out. I don’t care if I have to lock you both in a fucking room and let you fight it out until we have a winner, you two will make nice. Welcome to the 75th Hunger Games.”

Charlie smirks. “And may the odds be ever in my favour.”

Please remember to vote and comment beauts 🥰 ❤ 📖