• Chapter Fourteen •

Six months ago:

Sam was drunk night after night ever since he had lost Dean. He wanted nothing more than to numb the pain, to make it go away.

He entered his motel room where he was immediately attacked by a man and a woman.

The male took a few punches to Sam before holding him hostage while the female grabbed hold of Ruby's knife.

"Thanks for keeping this warm for me, Sam." She sneered.

"Ruby." The hunter said in recognition.

"It's nice to be back." The demoness stated. "Where I was, even for Hell, it was nasty. I guess I really pissed Lilith off. Imagine my relief when she gave me one last chance to take it topside. And all I had to do was find you and kill you."

"Fine." Sam responded. "Go ahead! Do it!" He yelled, waiting for her to make the move that would maybe put an end to the pain once and for all.

He didn't care anymore.

Ruby stared at the drunk hunter and raised her knife but instead of bringing the blade down on Sam, she brought it down on the demon that had accompanied her.

The demon fell to the floor with a loud thud which made Sam stare at her, blinking in confusion.

"Grab your keys." Ruby instructed. "We got to go. Now!"

"You know what sounds good? French fries

"You know what sounds good? French fries. Im starving. I just escaped Hell. I deserve a treat." Ruby said, once her and Sam were on the road. "You know, a 'thank you' would be nice."

"Who asked for your help?" Sam questioned.

"You have no idea what I've been through." She replied, shifting her gaze towards the hunter. "When Lilith gets pissed, she gets creative. You want to hear about the corners of Hell I've seen, Sam?"

"No, I don't." He gritted out.

"And the things I had to do to convince her I was sorry? That I could be trusted?"

"Well, this'll definitely get you a fat Christmas bonus." Sam scoffed.

"Very funny." Ruby replied with a roll of her eyes. "I'm a fugitive.. For you, Sam. I took all of this risk to get back to you, so, yeah, I deserve a damn thank you."

"Who asked you to save me?" He snapped, angered that the demoness hadn't killed him.

"I'm just trying to help." She said.

"Can you help me save Dean?" He asked.

"No." She answered with a sigh. "Nothing I know of is powerful enough to do that."