• Chapter Fifty-Four •

"Sam? Your head in the game here?" Ruby questioned, her dark brown gaze settled on the troubled hunter.

After a brief pause, Sam slowly nodded his head in confirmation. "I'm good. Let's go." He said.

The demoness frowned slightly as she assessed the shaggy haired male. He had been very quiet since they had left the hotel and knew that what had happened between the brothers, was bothering him.

"You okay?" She asked.

"I just said I was." He replied.

The brunette sighed. "Look, I know hand-holding really isn't my thing.. But still, Dean was wrong, saying what he said to you."

The hunter shook his head lightly. "No, he was right to say it. I mean, I don't blame him after what I did." He responded.

"Well, after we're done, you guys will patch things up." She said with a small smile. "I mean, you always do."

"You're talking like I've got an 'after'." He scoffed.

"Don't say that."

"I can feel it inside me, Ruby." Sam stated. "I've changed.. For good. And there's no going back now."

"Sam--"

"Look, I know what I gotta do." The shaggy haired male said, cutting the demoness off in mid-sentence. "It's okay, I'm just saying, Dean's better off as far away from me as possible. Anyways. Doesn't matter, let's just get this done with."

Madelyn stood outside, with her phone against her ear as she tugged her lower lip between her teeth nervously

With the call going straight to voicemail, she released a shaky sigh.

"Hey, Sam.." She began with a small smile and looked down at the ground as she released another soft sigh. "I'm sorry.. I'm sorry for being cruel to you.. I lied. I don't hate you.. I love you, and I always will.. I just want you to be safe. You aren't a monster.. You're Sammy, my Sammy.. It's you and I against the world.. Forever.."

Swallowing thickly, she blinked back the tears that had formed in her blue eyes.

"I love you, Sam." She said and hung up the call.

She closed her eyes and leaned her head against the wooden post as a shuddering breath escaped her.

Her thoughts, however, were soon interrupted as the arguing from inside had gotten louder.

Slipping her phone into the pocket of her leather jacket, the blonde had made her way back inside and took a seat beside her sister as they silently watched Bobby continue to chew Dean out over last night's events back at the hotel.

"Dean? Dean!" Bobby exclaimed as the eldest hunter simply stared out of the window. "You listen to a word I said?"

"Yeah, I heard you." Dean replied. "I'm not calling him."

"Don't make me get my gun, boy." The older man threatened.

"We are damn near kickoff for Armageddon, don't you think we got bigger fish at the moment?" The sandy haired male quizzed with a slightly raised tone.

"I know you're pissed." Bobby began. "And I'm not making apologies for what he's done, but he's your--"

"Blood?" Dean questioned, cutting the hunter off in mid-sentence. "He's my blood, is that what you were gonna say?"

"He's your brother." Bobby said. "And he's drowning."

"Bobby, I tried to help him, I did." The eldest Winchester sighed. "Look what happened."

"So try again." The older hunter said.

"It's too late."

"There's no such thing."

"No, damn it! No, I gotta face the facts. Sam never wanted part of this family. He hated this life growing up." Dean exclaimed as he moved to sit down. "Ran away to Stanford first chance he got. Now it's like deja vu all over again. Well, I am sick and tired of chasing him. Screw him, he can do what he wants."

"You don't mean that." Bobby said.

"Yes, I do, Bobby." The younger hunter responded. "Sam's gone. He's gone. I'm not even sure if he's still my brother anymore. If he ever was."

Bobby was fuming as he had leaned himself on the table when all of a sudden, he swiped off all of the books and papers that was scattered across his desk, and sent it to the floor - causing Dean to stand up in slight shock.

"You stupid, stupid son of a bitch! Well, boo-hoo, I am so sorry your feelings are hurt, princess!" The older hunter yelled, having had enough of Dean's stubbornness and the way he had spoken about his brother. "Are you under the impression that family's supposed to make you feel good?! Bake you an apple pie, maybe? They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!"

"I told him, 'you walk out that door, don't come back' and he walked out anyway!" Dean yelled back. "That was his choice!"

"You sound like a whiny brat." Bobby sneered, which made Dean scoff and walk back over to the window. "No, you sound like your Dad. Well, let me tell you something. Your Dad was a coward."

"My Dad was a lot of things, Bobby, but a coward?" Dean asked, looking over his shoulder at the older man.

"He'd rather push Sam away than reach out to him. Well, that don't strike me as brave. You are a better man than your daddy ever was. So you do both of us a favour. Don't be him."

The girls, who had silently watched the altercation between the two hunters, simply exchanged looks with each other but when they shifted their attention back, Dean was no where to be seen.

"They took Dean to the Angelic Room." Madelyn said both her and her sister got to her feet. "Cami, you look for Dean and I'll try to find Sam."

With a nod, the girls had quickly sprung into action while Bobby released a heavy sigh and poured himself a glass of whiskey.

The end was near.