• Chapter Thirty-One •

"It's weird.." Madelyn stated, taking a sip of tea from the cup in her hands. "People aren't dying.." She said as she placed the cup back down on the saucer.

"And that's so unusual?" Sam asked with a small smile, after swallowing his sip of coffee.

"Well, its how they're not dying." The blonde responded, rolling her eyes with a soft smile as she caught onto Sam's teasing tone. "Bobby called us saying that he found something in this small town in Wyoming. Though, I didn't expect to run into you along the way." She added.

"Ouch." The shaggy haired male replied with a soft chuckle. "I'm hurt, Maddie."

"Aww, you poor baby." The Nephilim huntress teased playfully with a pout as she brought her cup back up to her lips.

The young hunter shook his head lightly with a fond smile on his face, playing with the cup between his hands before he brought it up to his lips for another sip of the warm, dark roast.

"So get this.." Madelyn began, earning a hum in response from her best friend. "The cancer patient, he was clinically dead and strolls right out of the hospice. Another guy gets capped by a mugger and walks away without a scratch. The police say that he was shot in the heart at point-blank range by a nine-millimeter."

"People aren't dying." Sam stated, repeating the blonde's earlier statement as he met her blue gaze.

She nodded her head softly, her fingers nails tapping against the ceramic cup as a comfortable silence fell over the them.

"Ready to head back to the motel?" He asked as he reached into his pocket for his wallet.

"Yeah." The huntress replied. "Hopefully they are done with their reunion." She added with a shudder in reference to their older siblings' activities.

The tall hunter pulled his face in distaste, having heard the moans and groans from the room next door to his and Madelyn's. "They're like animals." He responded, placing money down on the table for their tea and coffee.

"No, they're 'passionate'." Madelyn corrected, quoting Dean's words from a few weeks back as she got to her feet and held her hand out to her best friend.

"Yeah, well I'm still traumatised from their passion." Sam muttered, taking hold of her hand as he stood up from the booth they were seated in.

"There, there, Sammy." The blonde cooed before they both made their way out of the diner, hand-in-hand.

"Any sign of a deal?" Dean questioned, once Madelyn and Sam had filled him and Camryn in on what was happening

Luck seemed to be on both of the younger siblings' side as their older siblings' passionate reunion ended long before they had returned to the rooms.

"Nope." Madelyn answered with a shake of her head. "What about you two? Found anyone dying around here?"

"Not since Cole Griffith." The eldest hunter replied as he enlarged a picture of a kid. "He dropped ten days ago. It was the last death we could find."

"So, what are you thinking?" Sam asked, glancing between his brother and Camryn.

"Eh, maybe it is what the people say it is." The sandy haired male responded as he stood to his feet.

"Miracles?" The shaggy haired male scoffed lightly. "Dean, our experience, when do miracles just happen?"

"Well, there's no deals. There's, uh, no skeevy faith healers." Dean listed as he poured two cups coffee. "I mean, these souls just ain't getting dragged into the light."

"Maybe 'cause there's no one around to carry them." Sam stated, thinking out loud.

The eldest Winchester arched a brow in question, handing a cup of coffee over to his girlfriend. "What do you mean?" He asked.

"Well, grim reapers -- that's what they do, right? Schlep souls? So, if death ain't in town--"

"Then nobody's dying." The 6'1" hunter finished his younger brother's sentence. "So what? The local reaper's on strike? Playing the back nine? I don't know, Sam."

"Well, then, let's talk to somebody who might." The younger Winchester suggested.

"Well, last I checked, huggy bear ain't available." Dean stated, taking a seat beside Camryn.

"No, dude, the kid." Sam said with a slight roll of his eyes.

"The kid?" The sandy haired male quizzed. "The kid's a doornail."

"Exactly." The shaggy haired male responded. "Look, if he was the last person to die around here, then maybe he's seen something. We should talk to him."

"I love how matter-of-fact you are about that. Strange lives." Dean chuckled and took a sip of his coffee.

"Let's check the grave site." Madelyn said.

Sam nodded his head in agreement. "Good idea."

"I know, I'm full of great ideas." The young huntress responded with a grin as she jumped to her feet. "Let's go, bitches!"