• Chapter Fifty-Five •

Sam sat quietly in the passenger seat of the car, simply staring at his cellphone which displayed a voicemail from Dean, and from Madelyn.

The car ride was silent for the most part, apart from the screaming that came from the trunk.

Ruby shifted her gaze from the road and briefly glanced at Sam, who hadn't played the voicemails at all.

"What are you -- a twelve year old girl? Just play it already." She said.

"Mind your own business." Sam bit back, which made the demoness roll her eyes in response.

"Let me out!" Cindy, a girl who had momentarily been possessed, yelled as she began thumping on the roof of the trunk. "Let me out!"

The hunter closed his eyes with a heavy sigh. "God, I wish she would just shut up." He muttered.

"Well, that can be arranged." The brunette smirked and glanced over at the shaggy haired male, only to be met with his glare. "I don't get it. All the demons you cut with the knife -- what do you think happens to the host? How is this any different?"

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" Sam asked.

"I know you're having a tough time here, Sam, but we're in the final lap here." Ruby said. "Now is not the time to grow a persqueeter."

"Would you drop the friggin' attitude?" He snapped. "I'm about to bleed and drink an innocent woman. While she watches."

"And save the world as a result." She added.

"I don't know." The hunter sighed heavily. "I-I just.. I'm starting to think.. Maybe Dean and Maddie were right."

"About what?"

"About everything."

The demoness glanced at him briefly before she focused on the road ahead. "We're gonna see this through, right, Sam?" She quizzed. "Sam?"

"Let me out! Let me out!"

"Damn it!" Madelyn exclaimed with sigh

Having gotten back to Bobby's moments ago, the girls were unsuccessful in finding both of the brothers.

"We have to find Dean." She said and leaned herself against the wall.

"Wait a minute.." Camryn began as she pushed herself off the table that she had been leaning against. "Maddie, the boys.. Remember how they told us about this prophet that was writing about them? He has to know something."

The younger blonde tilted her head slightly in thought as the memory of the brothers telling them about this prophet, Chuck, who was writing books based on their lives came back to mind.

"Can't hurt to try him." Bobby added.

Madelyn nodded her head in agreement. "And right now, it's all we got in finding out where they could be." She said and grabbed hold of her car keys. "Let's go."

Standing before a sign that signaled that they were roughly two miles away from St

Standing before a sign that signaled that they were roughly two miles away from St. Mary's Convent, Sam released a heavy sigh as he got lost in his thoughts, with Ruby standing a few paces behind him, by the car where Cindy had continued to hit and scream in the trunk.

"Sam, it's time." She said. "Are we doing this or not?"

"Give me a minute to think." Sam said.

"Sam--"

"Give me a damn minute, Ruby!" The hunter exclaimed.

Ruby rolled her eyes slightly and leaned against the car. "Better think fast." She responded.

With a furrowed brow, Sam had surreptitiously pulled his cellphone from his pocket and pressed a button, opening up his voicemail.

"First unheard message."

"Hey demon freak." Madelyn's voice echoed into the evening air. "You know, I'm actually glad that we had never gotten into anything serious because you have proved yourself to be a demon-loving monster. But hear me clearly when I say, I'm going to reign down Heaven on your demon ass. I despise you, Sam Winchester."

Tears formed in his hazel eyes as he listened to the venomous words of his best friend. He had truly lost her for good and he had no one else to blame but himself.

With a shaky breath, he proceeded to play the second voicemail. This time, it was from his brother.

"Listen to me, you bloodsucking freak." Dean's tone was venomous and filled with hate. "Dad always said I'd either have to save you or kill you. Well, I'm giving you fair warning. I'm done trying to save you. You're a monster, Sam -- a vampire. You're not you anymore. And there's no going back."

Sam closed his eyes at his brother's words as the tears in his eyes had threatened to fall.

Meanwhile, behind him, Ruby had simply smirked and watched as he slowly lowered the phone from his ear.

"Do it." Sam said.

"Thank God." The demoness said and opened the trunk, revealing a terrified Cindy.

"No!" She screamed and began to struggle as Sam approached the car.