• Chapter Forty-Four •

It was around midnight and sleep was pretty much non-existent to Madelyn that evening.

With a heavy sigh, the young blonde threw the covers off her body and her bare arms were instantly met with the cool chill of the night air.

Slipping her feet into her slippers, she stood up from the bed and made her way over to her duffel bag where she grabbed hold of her light grey waterfall cardigan before she headed towards the door.

Stepping out into the cool night air, she closed the door quietly behind her and pulled her cardigan closer around her body before she descended down the flight of stairs.

She made her way over to a vending machine and began browsing through all the soda options with pursed lips.

However, her browsing had come to a pause as she heard some light shuffling nearby which had caused her to avert her gaze away from the soda options towards the familiar tall, muscular figure of her best friend.

"She made you a happy meal to go?" She questioned, watching Sam greedily lick his the palm of his hand clean of what she knew to blood as her blue gaze briefly glanced at the flask he held in his free hand.

Sam looked up in surprise, having thought that he was the only one outside at this time, and frowned at the sight of Madelyn having caught him red-handed.

The huntress rolled her eyes slightly and turned her attention back to the vending machine where she had finally picked her soda of choice.

"Maddie.." He stammered.

"Don't, Sam." Madelyn sighed heavily, her tone stern. "You clearly have some issues that you aren't dealing with. You have me, who is half Angel and your best friend, might I add, you have my sister, also half Angel, and you have Dean, your brother, who is more trustworthy than that demon bitch. Yet, it's her you chose."

"I'm fine." The hunter replied with a small tone.

"Fine." The blonde scoffed with a humourless laugh. "Yeah, Sam. Believe what you want. But you are far from being fine. You're sick, and what is it that we do with sick people, exactly? We heal them and you are in some major need of healing. Just wait until Dean hears about this."

She stepped past him and made her way towards the staircase but was stopped when Sam grabbed hold of her arm tightly, a panicked expression on his face.

"No, don't." He said. "You can't tell Dean about this. I've got it under control. Please."

All while through his pleading, Madelyn's gaze had fallen to his hand that held onto her arm tightly, clenching her jaw before she looked up at him.

"Do you want to keep that hand?" She asked, any and all trace of emotion in her voice gone. "I suggest you remove it and remove it. Now."

Swallowing thickly, the shaggy haired male slowly loosened his grip and had let go of her arm as her blue-gaze glared coldly into his hazel.

Without another word, Madelyn ascended the stairs and suddenly paused once she had reached the top. She glanced over her shoulder, down at Sam once more before she disappeared into her room which left Sam with the uncertainty of whether she would tell his brother or not.

 She glanced over her shoulder, down at Sam once more before she disappeared into her room which left Sam with the uncertainty of whether she would tell his brother or not

Later that day, the hunters and huntresses had figured that Jimmy had escaped when they had thought he was in the bathroom. Luckily, they knew exactly where he was heading which meant that they had to get the former vessel back before the demons get to him.

Madelyn had leaned herself against the table as she watched a panicked Sam pack his duffel bag, while Dean was in the bathroom brushing his teeth.

"Dean. Would you hurry up?" Sam complained for about the tenth time that morning, which of course, his older brother had found highly amusing as he laughed with his toothbrush in his mouth. "Sorry, uh, is this funny to you?"

"Mr. Big-Bad-Prison-Guard, Jimmy McCook give you the slip? Yeah, it's pretty funny." Dean chuckled and quickly rinsed his mouth before exiting the bathroom and handed his toothbrush to Camryn, who had packed their bags. "What were you doing, anyway?"

Sam stiffened slightly and met Madelyn's cold gaze before he quickly looked away. "I was getting a Coke." He replied with a sigh.

He was grateful that she hadn't told Dean but he didn't know for how long that would last.

He knew that if he continued further down this path, he would end up pushing Madelyn away from him for good but at the same time, without Ruby's blood, he was becoming very angsty.

"Was it a refreshing Coke?" Dean teased.

"Can we just go, please?" The younger Winchester asked with a heavy sigh, making the eldest chuckle with a nod of his head.