Chapter 139: Wishes and Dreams

The cold coastal fog parted for the three Racaans, becoming light instead of heavy, clearing their vision that adjusted accordingly. They snaked towards the coast from the riverbeds, communicating with rhinos, giraffes, baboons, and springboks on their journey.

They descended down the beach from a towering sand dune, strolling onto the rocky, caramel sand that stretched endlessly from left to right, just as the Atlantic ocean went on and on and on in front of them without end.

Neosa closed her eyes and inhaled the salty air. She moved ahead of her father and brother, deciding to skip and surf on the tidal waves, messing around with the colony of seals that joined in. Their joyful claps and noises from afar made Renero smile as he watched his daughter swimming and arguing with them in the icy water about fish rations and how to distribute the portions evenly.

He was still walking with his son, with their arms wrapped around each other's shoulders. He still couldn't describe how surreal it was to be shorter than him.

"I never expected that you'd be a bit taller than Kakara," Renero mused.

Genesia shrugged modestly. "That's what good nutrition does to you," he said as his eyes inspected the azure blue sea that matched the hue of the cloudless sky. 

The cold current and cool breeze was welcome from the unwelcoming heat that blasted down onto the shore, making it feel like their bare soles were stepping on scathing coals with thorns. Not that it mattered, since they could walk on anything.

The waves rushed in like medics, attending to their burning feet, reaching up to their legs as the water foamed like a vast, breathing beast. Rocks were scattered here and there, along with large boulders.

The waters sprayed their faces, reminding Genesia of the first Bath Time he shared with his father. How long ago was that? A part of him was tempted to revert back to that child by gathering some foam and styling his father's beard like he often did back then.

Renero seemed to catch on, scooping up some foam and rubbing it over his son's stubble, making the hairs sheen in white like he had aged significantly. "There, you look more like Amoar now."

Genesia elbowed him playfully in the ribs. "Mama used to joke about that too when I was little. Honestly I'm surprised I don't have any grey hairs yet." He glanced at his father. No grey hairs whatsoever. "Guess I was lucky to inherit your juvenescence."

"Eheee, right you are my boy." Renero smiled arrogantly before furrowing his brows. "Debi. You're no longer a boy. You're a man."

"A boy never stops being a boy around his father," Genesia rebutted.

"Mmm. Very wise of you to say." Renero looked at him closely. "Do you know what I saw when Ramela was staring at me so desperately?"

Genesia didn't have to think that hard. "You saw a girl that longed for a father's approval and acceptance. Specifically, your approval."

Renero smiled.

"She's been very excited to meet you Papa. She... well, you saw for yourself. She wants to please you."

"I am pleased already. I read the books you two wrote. Very impressive and well thought out. You and her have done what I could never do. Not only have you cleared my name and the names of our people, but you've also paved the foundation for our people to be reintroduced. In Metro of all places!"

A smile tugged the corners of Genesia's mouth. "All thanks to Mpho. None of this would have been possible without her." Genesia's gaze went to Neosa as she swam further and further away with the seals.

"Although I had a general compass, in truth, I didn't know if Kakara and I would make it back when we left Mad Scar. That Island was so maddening like you wouldn't believe it."