Chapter 31: The First Move

The morning arrived, dismally at that. A misty fog of grey descended across every corner and part of Petora with a gloomy overcast.

Every home, still standing or destroyed. Every heart, intact or broken. Every soul, stable or unstable. This fog did not discriminate, it was equal in the same way death was equal, regardless of how cruel and unfair it took away life, or left those living without the lives of those around them.

No one spoke, the loud silence spoke in a manner best understood in the bleak situation, matched by the melancholic fall of rain that the morning carried over from the stormy night.

Unlike the previous storm, the rain was gentle this time around. It was not harsh, nor did it pelt on everything it came into contact with.

Instead, the rain washed over both the invisible and visible blood that was stained on all the victims that went around to check for more survivors and aid those in need. Family and friends reunited with one another in either ecstatic disbelief or bittersweet relief.

All the crafters got to work on using spells to repair the broken or burnt constructions as best as they could, while others helped out with loading the relevant materials for the labor. People moved and worked together across the province, across the land, in the same way their hearts bled and ached together.

As one.

Beafa and his group were amongst those in Rinestone that were making their way back to their respective sectors to check up on their fellow comrades and continue their scouting for any other potential attacks.

"I pray the children are alright," Beafa spoke to himself, hoping that Lorry, Linde, Crishern, Nina, Suleng and Kiyo had gotten most of the other fleeing young ones around Petora through his large farm and safely underground his wine and fruit cellar.

They must be terrified out of their minds.

The key word was "most" considering he had rushed over to Rinestone hearing the sounds of some children screaming on his way through the noisy storm, accompanied by despicable cackling laughter of high euphoria and delight that still rang through his ears.

"Yes my children! Yes! Yes! Sing for me! Sing for me!"

Who was that woman in black? I swear to all the depths of hell if she— Beafa couldn't continue his trend of thought, furrowing his brows in pain and knowing the only way to find out was to heed the words of others in confirmation concerning all the relevant status reports.

Looking up, he saw Brianna's sisters, Ashlyn and Aion approaching him, having made their rounds across the village and speaking with all the other healers.

"All good?" He asked in concern.

"Well, good enough I'd say for everyone else. We're a tough lot for sure... we're a tough lot for sure..." Ashlyn answered with eyes that were still scanning through homes she had already visited as though both trying to reinforce the strength behind her words and the murky vision in her eyes.

Beafa nodded, turning to Aion. "And Minaleese? How is she?"

Aion let her bloody hands wash in the trickling rain.

"That woman..." she found herself smiling a little, ironically enough even though it was bitter. "I know we always liked to say Bri was the toughest twat around but good lord," she snorted, staring up into the sky with puffy eyes. "Or did ya forward some of that toughness to her ya fookin blazing demon you! I bet you're laughing your arse off right now aren't ya?"

Ashlyn found herself snorting as well. "I'd say she's forwarding it to all of us right now. This rain is... at least more pleasant than the last..."

Beafa forced a smile, only for a moment, before the earnest concern came back in his black eyes that were fixed on Aion.