Part 73: Change of Plans

"Muzan Kibutsuji and his Upper Moons infiltrated the corp last night." Ubuyashiki told the pillars.

"WHAT!?" Sanemi immediately shot up and shouted.

"He made an attempt to negotiate peace in exchange for Nezuko Kamado and Akai Suisei, but I refused. At the same time, Akai was ambushed by the Upper Moons, and was damaged severely." He explained further.

"That little bastard!" Sanemi seethed. "I knew it was a bad idea!" He yelled.

"They would have infiltrated regardless. It could not be helped. Had you come to aid me, Muzan would undoubtedly have killed me on the spot." Ubuyashiki said. "Do not blame him for this, he's been through enough."

----------

"He's missing!" A Kakushi shouted.

"What!? Where could he have gone!?" Another shouted.

Akai Suisei's hospital bed was empty.

----------

"Akai! Akai!!!" Aoi ran around the outside of the estate, calling for him by his name.

"I'm right here, Aoi." 

"Huh?" She turned to see him sitting on a bench.

"You already ran past me a minute ago." Akai chuckled. "What's got you so worried?" He asked. Despite how grotesque his condition had been earlier, he looked completely fine now.

"Well, I don't know, the fact that you go missing after we were infiltrated by demons!?" She yelled at him. Akai closed his eyes and shied away from her fury, her voice hurting his ears. "And the fact that you were three steps from being a pile of dust five minutes ago!?" She yelled again. Akai chuckled meekly and spoke.

"Well, I am myself a demon." He shrugged and gave her a small smile. "So I'm fine now."

"Is this Lefty or Righty talking right now?" She asked him.

"It's Akai talking right now." He said. "For some reason, I feel like they, or I, have reached a point of 'equilibrium'." Akai explained. 

"Oh..." Aoi muttered. Akai patted the open half of the bench, welcoming her to sit with him. And she did.

"I wanted to tell you this for a while, Aoi." Akai began. Aoi came to a conclusion in her head and a blush crept across her face.

"Aoi..." Akai said, and the blush reddened.

"Will you..." Akai said, and she began to shake.

...

...

...

"Forget about me?"

...

...

...

"Huh?" She turned to him, confused.

"Forget about me. Simple as that." Akai looked her dead in the eye.

"What... What do you mean?" A mixture of confusion and fear pricked in her chest.

"Forget. About. Me." Akai said. "Forget about us." Akai made it clearer to her.

"What-What the hell are you saying!?" She yelled, a cacophony of emotions swelling up inside her.

"...For the love of- WE'RE DONE!!!" Akai roared.

...

...

...

A tear rolled down Aoi's cheek.