Part 18: Mental and Physical Pain

Status Report: The slayers that survived Mount Natagumo are still in the infirmary and are waiting for rehab. The pillars are well. The Red Comet and The Wind Pillar are off. They seem to be suffering from what can only be called 'crippling depression. Due to the Red Comet's confusing ability. Both individuals were introduced to each other's memories including the death of loved ones. This may have reintroduced buried trauma, which explains the depression and grief.

"Dude, what are you doing?" Akai asked, sitting up in his bed. The Kakushi tasked with watching him was writing something in a notebook in the corner.

"What? Shut up, demon." The Kakushi turned away from him.

"Just don't talk while you write. It's annoying." Akai sighed and laid back down. He felt sad. He felt like a bag of meat left out too long, soggy, and sad. And lukewarm. Some of what he saw in Sanemi's and Nezuko's memories- it was horrible. Akai let out a deep breath and shoved those thoughts back.

"Think about something that makes you happy..." Akai thought. "Okay... Killing Muzan, that's nice. Hanging out with Mr. Tomioka. That's always fun. Aoi-"

"Aoi..." Akai felt a wave of heat flow through his body. "I need to see her..." Akai whispered and got up..

"Where are you going?" The Kakushi went to stop him.

"Places." Akai walked past the Kakushi and went outside his room. The Kakushi at first went to grab Akai, but he decided to just follow him instead.

----------

Akai traversed the halls of the butterfly estate. He knew Aoi was a nurse, so she'd be helping people. Therefore, she was in the infirmary.

"Where are you going?" The Kakushi asked from behind him.

"To go see Aoi." Akai answered and kept walking.

"Why, might I ask?" The Kakuhsi tilted his head.

"She just makes me happy, you know? Like that feeling that everything'll be alright once you see their face." Akai said with a small smile.

"So... you love her?"

...

...

...

"Maybe." Akai looked away with pursed lips.

The Kakushi let out a little snicker, which turned into restrained laughter. Akai scowled and his cheeks became rosy.

"Damn it, why did I even tell you? Stop laughing!!!" Akai frowned as the Kakushi began laughing at full volume. He shut up suddenly, which made Akai turn around to look at what he'd seen. He saw Kanao coming out of her room.

"Oh hey, Kanao!" Akai jogged up to talk to her. He realized he had never really gotten to have a real chat with the flower breather. It seemed he never would because she ignored him and kept walking. "Kanao?" Akai tried to catch her attention, but she kept walking. "Kanao, is it about Mount Natagumo? You can't be mad about that, you were going to kill the child." Akai tried to appeal to Kanao. She stopped suddenly, causing him and the Kakushi to stop with her. She pulled out a coin and flipped it. She caught it and laid it flat on her arm. It was heads.

"Heads? What's that fo- OAAAGH!!!!" Kanao whipped around and shot her foot up into Akai's crotch. The power of the kick was so raw and brutal it cracked Akai's pelvis. Akai fell onto the floor and blacked out. Kanao cracked a small, satisfied smile and walked away, leaving the kakushi to tend to Akai.

----------

"Oh god..." Akai awoke with a searing pain in his crotch, he had been placed in the infirmary by the Kakushi from earlier. He groaned in pain and anger and concentrated on healing his pelvis. "Damn you Kanao...!" Akai thought angrily as his bruises and broken bones healed. Akai heard footsteps and saw Aoi enter the room. "Thank you Kanao..." Akai replaced his anger with gratitude.

"You're finally awake. Did you heal yourself?" Aoi stopped by his bed and asked.

"Yes, I'm fine now. Better than ever..." Akai felt all the sadness in his system fade away at the sight of her face.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Aoi raised an eyebrow.

"You look really pretty today." Akai said with a smile.

"W-What!? Shut up, stupid." Aoi turned around and walked out of the infirmary to hide her embarrassment.

Akai sighed and laid his head down on his pillow. He turned his head to the right and saw three other slayers on beds. It was Tanjiro, Inosuke, and a third slayer with yellow hair.

"Sup." Akai greeted with a small wave.

----------

"Akai? How did you get injured?" Tanjiro asked.

"Kanao kicked me." Akai saw Tanjiro wince, seeing as he knew how hard Kanao could kick. "In the nuts." Tanjiro winced harder when he heard that. "Anyways, who's this guy?" Akai pointed to the slayer with yellow hair.

"Oh, he's me and Inosuke's friend, Zenitsu." Tanjiro explained.

"Tanjiro..." The guy with yellow hair said quietly.

"Hm?" Tanjiro turned to his friend. The two of them had a quiet, hushed conversation with each other while Inosuke and Akai watched in silence. Akai, curious about what they were talking about, focused on his hearing.

"What is he?" Zenitsu asked Tanjiro.

"Akai? He's a good demon, and he's immune to the sun." Tanjiro explained.

"Well, can we trust him?" Zenitsu looked at Akai. Akai looked away to not draw suspicion to the fact he was hearing every word of their conversation.

"Of course, we can." Tanjiro reassured his friend.

"He's scary." Zenitsu muttered.

"I'm not that bad." Akai suddenly made his presence known.

"WAHHH!!!!! You heard us!?!?" Zenitsu shrieked.

"Yup."

"PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!!!" Zenitsu screamed and hid under his blankets.

"...Is he always like this?" Akai asked Inosuke and Tanjiro.

"Most of the time." Tanjiro shrugged.

"Always." Inosuke said quietly.

"Hey, Inosuke, you alright?" Akai tilted his head, noticing Inosuke was quieter than when they first met.

"He's depressed." Tanjiro explained.

"Oh..." Akai frowned slightly.

"Akai..." Inosuke grunted.

"Yeah man?" Raised turned to Inosuke.

"I want my cookie..." Inosuke muttered.

"I don't have it on me now, but I swear I will get you your cookie. So says Akai Suisei!" Akai swore with the passion of Rengoku.

"Thank you..."

And so the four went on chatting for the rest of the day. Letting their physical and mental pains heal.