Part 81: Hamon

"So, how do you guys feel?" Akai asked the recruits, who were all currently laid out on the ground, clutching their chests. "...Okay, good." He chuckled. "Rest for a bit, I've got stuff to do..."

Before they could make themselves known, Akai turned to Aoi and Genya, who had just walked out of the treeline. 

"Hey, stuff." Akai waved to the two. Aoi looked away with a slight blush on her face, while Genya narrowed his eyes out of confusion.

"Wait, so am I stuff as well or-" Genya was cut off when Akai planted a fist into his and Aoi's diaphragms.

"Yes, yes you are." He dusted off his hands and sighed.

"Why..." Aoi wheezed.

"Oh, I never told you what this is..." Akai muttered. "Well, if I did it right, then you guys'll become much more powerful." Akai turned to the rest of the recruits and broadcasted his explanation.

"What kind of power...?" A recruit asked weakly.

"This kind of power." Akai took a deep breath and charged his fist with the golden ripple. The recruits gasped at the sight of the crackling energy.

"How do we do that!?"

"What the heck is that!?"

"How does punching us in the gut help us get that?"

"Shush." Akai bared his teeth and the crowd went quiet. "It's very similar to total concentration breathing, so it shouldn't be that hard to achieve. Just go through the breathing process while focusing on your core. Try to draw out the power." Akai explained.

----------

"Man, this is terrible..." Akai sighed as they tried and failed to grasp it.

Ten minutes were spent staring at the crowd as they tried different breathing patterns, trying to get a grasp on the energy.

"Well, maybe you should be more specific!!! I feel like all we're going is breathing here!" A member of the crowd shouted.

"Well, I did it on my first try! I don't know what the problem is here!" Akai bit back at the recruit. "They're all gonna die if they can't attain this..." His face shifted to a grimace as the thought came up. His annoyance grew more as he sensed someone behind him.

"Red Comet." A Kakushi made his presence known.

"We're busy right now!" Akai snapped at the Kakushi, making them jump and tremble. Akai immediately felt regret and simmered down. "Sorry. What is it?" Akai turned to face the Kakushi. 

The Kakushi came forward and whispered into his ear. Akai nodded a few times as the Kakushi explained. The Kakushi leaned back, having given all of the necessary information, bowed to him, and sprinted back down the trail he emerged from.

"Okay, everyone stop." Akai ordered the group. They all paused and turned to him. "Something just came up." He said and turned back to the trail.

The recruits gasped as the denizens of the Swordsmith Village walked into the clearing, each villager carrying a bundled-up sword.

"Looks like you all each get a new and improved sword." Akai said with a smile.

The clearing erupted in sounds of joy as the recruits all ran to greet their respective swordsmiths, accepting the gifts with glee.

"Mr. Haganezuka!" Akai greeted his swordsmith.

"Hello, boy." Haganezuka gave him a timid wave.

"How are y-...Where is my new sword?" Tanjiro halted his greeting at the sight of Haganezuka's empty hands.