Part 80: The Origin (2/2)

"So... What now?" Nezuko asked. Unfazed by the sight in front of her as Akai cried quietly.

"I guess we'll have to follow me as I grow up." Akai wiped away his tears as a serious look returned to his face. "Heh, that's confusing." Akai chuckled to himself at the unusual sentence.

"WE HAVE TO WATCH THIS POTATO FOR ONE THOUSAND YEARS!?" Nezuko exclaimed.

"WHO'RE YOU CALLING A POTATO!?" Akai roared back.

They both jumped in surprise as the setting suddenly shifted. The seasons had changed, and the house and village had grown some. They looked around for the memory Akai, their only indicator of how much time has passed. They ran outside to see the event that caused this new noteworthy memory. 

On this overcast winter day, Akai's parents had taken him outside, where he took his first steps in the snow. Their joyous laughs erupted as Akai took his first three steps and stumbled into his father's arms.

"Aw, jeez..." Akai looked away as he teared up again.

"Can you stop crying?' Nezuko, once again unfazed by all of these happy scenes, asked.

More scenes played out. Following Akai as he grew from a baby to a toddler. It was beautiful seeing all of his happy memories again. But after an hour of good memories, it began to get boring. A few notable events would be Akai's first time seeing snow, his first time touching a fish, and when he drank his own-

"WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT!?" Nezuko screamed.

"I WAS CURIOUS!!!" Akai covered his eyes and yelled.

"SKIP, SKIP SKIP!!!" Nezuko screamed to the sky.

Surprisingly, the setting shifted to the next memory.

"Oh. Neat." Nezuko muttered. It would have been much better knowing that four hours ago. 

 "Okay, surely this will make things go by faster." Akai smiled.

It did not make things go faster.

Despite how many memories they were skipping, at the rate they were going, they would be stuck there for hours before the memory Akai would be a year old.

"How long has it been...?" Nezuko whimpered. She laid flat on the ground at stared at the constantly shifting sky.

"I believe it's been six hours." Akai said.

"How old are you?" Nezuko.

"Like, seventeen ish? Oh, you mean the little guy. He's roughly a year and a month old now." Akai said, watching as the toddler version of him stumbled after his father as he left on a "wood gathering" trip. Only to be stopped by his mother and carried inside.

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!" Nezuko cried into the sky. "WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DRAG ME INTO THIS!?!?" Nezuko sat up and yelled at Akai.

"Remember what we're here for! We're doing this for the good of the entire Corp! If we can find the secret to this power, then it'll help us against Muzan and his moons." Akai tried to remind her what their goal was, but she just wasn't having it.

"We're gonna die in here!!!" Nezuko rolled around dramatically and wailed.

"We are literally immortal..." Akai rubbed his brow, unable to deal with her antics. 

"This is all your fault!" Nezuko cried.

"Nezuko."

"We shouldn't have come here!"

"Nezuko!"

"I want to go home!" 

"NEZUKO!!!" Akai screamed, and Nezuko went quiet.