Part 17: Bad Memories

The sun had risen and the slayers had all evacuated from Mount Natagumo. The injured slayers were all taken into rehab. Those that were lost were honored and buried. Tanjiro and Nezuko were awaiting trial with the Hashiras and Ubuyashiki.

Akai awoke in his bed. After he had gotten to the estate the night before, he was wondering about things. The thing on his mind the most was the situation of that Nezuko girl. Was she good? Bad? Has she eaten human bits or her own bits or has she stayed alive some other way? It's weird.

"Might ask her myself." Akai came up with the idea of joining the trial and hopped out of bed. But he didn't forget about his basic hygiene so he stopped for a quick bath and brushed his teeth. (Hate it when authors skip the normal stuff)

Akai, refreshed and dressed in his spare slayer uniform, walked out of the estate and down the path to Ubuyashiki's place.

----------

Akai stood outside of Ubuyashiki's home. He never did like this part.

"Now what... now what..." Akai put his hand on his chin and stared at the door. The door flew open before he could knock and he was met with Mr. Ubuyashiki's two scary kids.

"Good morning, Red Comet." They said in creepy, monotone unison.

"...Morning. I uh, wanted to talk to your dad about-"

"No, he is busy right now. Goodbye." The kids said and slammed the door.

"*sigh* Fuck."

Akai heard Ubuyashiki say something from behind the door and it slowly reopened.

"Akai. Come in, come in. I'm sorry about my children, it seems they dislike you." Ubuyashiki apologized.

"No, they're alright." Akai said and went inside.

"So, what is it?" Ubuyashiki asked.

"Well, you see. I have a lot of questions considering the boy Tanjiro's sister. So I would like to join in the trial." Akai bowed his head and asked quietly.

"Hm..." Mr. Ubuyashiki closed his eyes in thought. "No."

"But-"

"I'm kidding. But you should head around back and sit with the Hashiras.  The trial will start soon." Ubuyashiki said and dismissed Akai.

"Oh, thank you." Akai nodded and ran out. He shifted into his kid form in his nervous panic and waddled around to the front. He saw the Hashiras sitting in neat order and ran to join them. He slowly regained his composure and grew to normal size as he reached them.

"Akai?" Shinobu asked as Akai crawled over and sat in the front. His back was facing the Hashiras, so he couldn't see what they were doing. That may have been for the best because most of them didn't look so friendly.

"Yup. Mr. Dad says I can join in on this." Akai said and chose his seat.

"Mr. Dad?" Uzui (sound pillar) asked in an angry tone.

"Come on, we're all thinking it." Akai spoke the truth. The pillars paused for a moment and decided to just ignore him. "Well, isn't this exciting?" Akai asked the Hashiras with a childish smile. "Meeting another demon like me? I personally can't wait!" Akai couldn't keep down his jitters.

"Shut up." Sanemi growled through clenched teeth. His veins and eyes were bulging.

"Oh. Okay..." Akai shrunk and sat crossed legged with his head down

"Shinazugawa-san!" Mitsuri scolded Sanemi before patting Akai's head like he was a puppy. "There there, you're a good boy!" She said like she was talking to a dog. Akai puffed back up and sat up straight with a smile. It seemed that was enough to get him in good spirits again.