Part 56: Burning Reasolve (3/4)

In a single moment, the presence of the four other forms of Hantengu disappeared. The winged demon, the staff demon, the fan demon and the spear demon vanished. And not even a moment later Righty felt something immense. Something huge. Righty could only compare it to the pure pressure of Akaza's aura.

Righty's first instinct was to leap into the air. This allowed him to narrowly avoid a mass of tree roots in the shape of serpentine dragons. His foot narrowly missed getting chomped as the massive mass of roaring wood tried to crush him in its jaws. He looked back and saw the tiny old man form of Hantengu being surrounded by a mass of wood. There was a second figure. This new form looked no older than Tanjiro's age. It wore intricate clothing that made it look like some sort of ancient god and bore horns. Behind it was a wheel adorned with drums that displayed the symbols for different emotions in Japanese kanji. (did I forget to mention the previous forms of Hantengu were based on core emotions? Cause they are.) It seemed that the separate forms of Hantengu had all been forced together into something much, much stronger.

Righty landed on two feet and let out a hot steamy exhale.

"Spite. Enmity. Pure hatred." The demon said in a venomous whisper.

"Fuck. Here goes." Righty began to take in deep breaths to get as much oxygen as possible.

"For those who bathe in pure evil." The demon half-raised its hands, showing it was wielding small items that appeared to be crafted from bull horns. Righty tried to remember if similar items were used in ceremonies. Apparently, those were the demon's weapons of choice.

Tanjiro saw the small form of Hantengu being swallowed by the wood and cried:

"Stop right there!"

The demon shot his gaze towards Tanjiro. Even though it wasn't directed to him, Righty could feel the aura. It was unlike the hatred of normal demons. It wasn't out of defiance or spite. Instead, this hatred was very... human.

"What is it, you scum? Don't like what I'm doing here? You evil fuckers." The demon hissed.

"Did..."

"Did I just hear him right?"

This was the question that rang through the minds of Genya, Righty and Tanjiro.

"How is the one trying to put an end to the creature that has taken the lives of hundreds of people... Evil? And how is that monster the hero..?"

"Why... Are we the evil ones?" Tanjiro whispered.

"Isn't it obvious? You're tormenting the weak. You're trying to bring harm to an innocent being no bigger than your palm. Only a monster would do that." The demon said. This 'Justice Demon' seemed to have quite a warped sense of reality.

"Small weakling..? What is this?" Tanjiro growled. His quiet malice changed into raging fury. "YOU REEK OF BLOOD, YOU'VE DEVOURED HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE! WHAT ABOUT THEM!? DID YOU NOT CARE WHEN THEY SCREAMED IN PAIN!? WHEN THEY CRIED FOR HELP!? WERE THEY NOTHING AT ALL!? STOP PLAYING THE VICTIM!!!" Tanjiro roared. "YOU'RE SICK!!! IT'S ABSOLUTELY UNFORGIVABLE!!!" The water/fire breather roared further. "EVIL DEMON. I WILL CUT OFF YOUR HEAD!!!" Tanjiro declared.

"Well said buddy." Righty smiled.

-----------

"WRYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!" Lefty gurgled as he tried to vaporize the watery cocoon that enveloped him by heating his body. But the water only bubbled and fizzed out.

"Well, I'll leave you both to drown. I'll make sure to kill your friends in the slowest ways possible!" Gyokko laughed and turned towards the shed that Haganezuka was sharpening the sun sword in. Kanamori, who was guarding the door, lunged at Gyokko, only to be sent flying back with multiple gashes left in his upper body. Gyokko chuckled and slithered to the doorway.