Part 28.5: Misfortune

The night had fallen. The Corp was silent. All but a few people were asleep. In her room, Shinobu brewed poisons and antidotes. In her room, Aoi sorted and tidied her things, unable to sleep. And in the infirmiry, Tanjiro, Zenitsu and Inosuke talked and laughed, sitting up in their beds. The night-

*smack*

The night was-

*smack*

Oh god damn it...

*smack*

"LET-"

*smack*

"ME-"

*smack*

"GO-"

*smack*

"PLEASE!!!"

*smack*

The little Akai pleaded as Nezuko rammed him against the lion puppet repeatedly.

"What's my plan of action in this situation?" Akai thought. "Oh, I know!"

Nezuko slammed Akai against the toy once again. But this time, Akai went limp. Nezuko slapped him against the toy a few times before realizing he wasn't moving.

"Mm?" Nezuko tilted her head at the motionless body of Akai. She took her finger and nudged his head. No response. "Hm?" Nezuko shook Akai a little. No response. "Hm!!!" Nezuko began crying and shaking him vuolently, trying to bring the supposedly dead Akai back to life.

"Aw crap, now I feel guilty for playing dead." Akai's mind went.

Nezuko kicked the box open and laid him out on the floor of her room. Tears streamed out of her eyes as she began pressing her fingers on his chest in a sad effort to perform CPR.

"You fucked up Akai. You fucked up." Akai cringed as Nezuko got more frantic. "Okay, Okay. just make this look authentic." Akai opened his eyes and pretended to go into a coughing fit.

"HMMMMM!!!!" Nezuko squeaked in celebration and hugged Akai close to her cheek.

"Nezuko?" Akai heard Tanjiro in the hall. He had heard his sister's victory squeak.

"Crap!" Akai's eyes widenned. He didn't see a way out.

"Nezuko? are you alright?" Tanjiro walked into the room to see nezuko alone on the floor. "Did you have a nightmare? Here." Tanjiro patted her head and coaxed her back into her box. "You need to sleep, Nezuko." Tanjiro smiled at his sister. Nezuko only nodded and scooted back in. Tanjiro closed the box and sniffed the air.

"Hm... Has Akai been here?" Tanjiro raised an eyebrow.

Behind him, the lion puppet slowly slid away.

----------

"Whew!!! That was close!" Akai huffed. He hid under the lion puppet as he ran to his room. He scurried down the hall and through the crack of his barely opened door. It was dark in the room. "Finally." Akai got out from under the puppet and grew to normal size. He picked up a towel and turned it into a small pair of shorts. He yawned and got into his bed. What was wierd was the blankets were ruffled and he felt a large pillow in the bed. Akai smiled, Aoi must've gotten him a pillow. He wrapped his arms around it and squished it with his hands. It felt soft and plump, but was it still robust. It was an unusual texture for a pillow. Akai inhaled slowly through his nose and smelled a deep scent of flowers.

Wait...

His room didn't smell like flowers.

Akai slowly began to realize the little things. This room was smaller. And he didn't have a drawer next to his nightstand. And in that drawer laid a collection...

Of butterfly hairpins...

"Oh no." Akai felt his stomach sink. He'd wandered into Kanao's room by mistake. He felt movement in his arms and realized what the 'pillow' he held was. It was Kanao. "Wait. If I was holding her, then what was I squishing?" Akai looked down and saw his hands. On her chest. Kanao, who had fully woken up, turned her head and locked eyes with him.

"...aaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!" Their voices went from a a whisper to a bloodcurdling scream. Everyone in the estate was awoken by it. Akai flew up from the bed with the intent to run. Kanao followed, filled with the intent to kill.

"KANAO!!! I DIDN'T KNOW!!! I-" Akai was cut off when Kanao drove her foot into his chest, breaking his ribs and sending him flying through the door. Akai landed in the hall and began coughing blood. Kanao flew onto him and began pummeling his face, beating him into the floor.

"Holy shit!" Inosuke peered out of the infirmiry down the hall and exclaimed.

"Kanao!" Shinobu saw what was happening and ran to prevent rhe slaughter.

In the end, it took the combined force of Tanjiro, Inosuke, Zenitsu, Aoi, Shinobu, and four kakushis to pry Kanao off of Akai.

----------

"Akai? Are you alright?" In the infirmiry, Aoi was questioning a healed Akai. Who was laying on one of the beds.

"Wrong room. Bed. Boobies. Wrong room. Bed. Boobies. Wrong room. bed. boobies." Akai repeated infinetely with a traumatized look on his face.

"Kanao, what happened?" Shinobu asked Kanao, who was on a bed of her own.

"He touched me. He touched me. He touched me." Kanao repeated with the same traumatized look on her face.

"What happened to them?" Tanjiro wondered.

"Something terrible, Monjiro." Inosuke said. Dead serious.