Chapter 31 (Year 4)

"Charlotte Potter?" A first-year boy asked Charlotte as she sat in the library with Draco.

"Yes?"

"Professor McGonagall wants to speak with you. She's in her office." The first-year said, before walking away.

"Have you done something?" Draco asked. Charlotte shook her head, forgetting that tomorrow was the second trial.

"I don't think so." She said, trying to remember, as she started packing up her stuff.

"I'll come back soon," Charlotte said, as she picked up her bag, and waved to Draco before walking down to McGonagall's office, inside where Professor McGonagall was waiting for her, along with Dumbledore, Hermione, Cho, and Gabriella.

"Perfect. Now that you're all here, we can get started." Professor McGonagall said, putting her papers down.

"As you all know, the second task is going to be tomorrow. The Champions have won an egg. It has told them something will be stolen from them. That something will be you. You will be put in the black lake, under a spell that will allow you to sleep and still breathe underwater."

The four girls were shocked as they stared at Professor McGonagall.

"You want us to stay underwater asleep?" Hermione asked,

"Yes," Dumbledore said,

"Won't we die?" Cho asked. Dumbledore shook his head.

"No, you won't. I assure you that no harm shall come to you."

"What if they don't get to us in time? What will happen?" Gabriella asked,

"Nothing. We will come to get you. No one will hurt you." Dumbledore explained, as McGonagall stood up, and lead them out.

"We leave now?" Hermione said. They both nodded, leading the four of them out.

Charlotte thought about the fourth book, about how Ron was the one in the lake. Would it matter if she was the one in the lake instead? She thought as they walked to the lake, thinking that it wouldn't matter, it was only one part; it wasn't a big part either; she told herself, as they got to the lake.

---

Draco had waited for Charlotte all day before going to dinner where he saw she was nowhere to be seen, even around Brown and Patel, who was looking down at the Gryffindor table, trying to find Charlotte.

Where did she go?

He thought as he moved the chicken around on his plate.

Draco stood up when he saw Patel and Brown leaving.

"Draco where are you going?" Pansy asked, who had been sitting next to him.

"None of your business Parkinson!" He shouted as he walked after them.

"Brown! Patel!" Draco yelled as he got out of the great hall. They both turned around, confused.

"What?" Brown asked,

"Do you know where Charlotte is? I can't seem to find her." He said, and they both shook their heads.

"We haven't seen her since this morning. She said she was going to the library with you."

"She was, but then McGonagall asked for her, and she hasn't been back." Draco signed Brown and Patel shrugged.

"We aren't sure where she's gone." Patel shrugged.

"Oh okay," Draco said, before turning around and walking away.

---

The next morning, Draco went to the second trial. He looked around for Charlotte but couldn't find her anywhere. He spotted Brown and Patel, but Charlotte wasn't with them.

Is she avoiding me? Did I do something?

Draco thought as he sat down at the top of the stands, Pansy sat down next to him, scooting as close to him as she could, and he would scoot away. They waited for the trial to start, Potter almost missing it, as he and Weasley came running in. Weasley sat down by Seamus as Potter walked up to the judges.

"Well, our champions are ready for their second task, which will start on my whistle. They have precisely an hour to recover from what has been taken from them. On the count of three, then. One... two... three!" Bagman blew his whistle, and three champions jumped into the lake, except for Harry. Draco started laughing along with everyone else, as they watched him walk into the lake. Finally, Potter went under the water, leaving Draco with Pansy, who wouldn't stop talking.

---

Charlotte felt the air fill her lungs as her vision was blurred from the water in her eyes, coughing as she looked around. Draco gasped and stood up as he saw Charlotte's head come out of the water, with Potter and a little blond girl.

He ran downstairs, forgetting that he was in front of the entire school, as Charlotte struggled to swim towards the dock.

"Charlotte!" Draco shouted as he got to the edge. He grabbed both her arms and helped pull her out of the water. Draco took off his robe and placed it on her.

"Yeah, you really took your sweet time Potter!" He shouted as he rubbed Charlotte's arms over the robe, trying to warm her up, as she shivered.

"You just have to be a stupid hero, and save the stupid little blond girl, didn't you?" He yelled as Potter got out of the water.

"And why do you care, Malfoy? Get your hands off my sister, now." Harry shouted, going to smack Draco's arm away before Hermione and Ron came distracting him.

"Are you alright?" He asked. She nodded.

"Yes, fine," Charlotte said, smiling a little at how worried Draco seemed.

"We were placed under a spell. We were promised nothing would happen to us." Charlotte told him, as they stood up.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached our decision. Merchieftainess Marcus has told us exactly what happened at the bottom of the lake, and we have therefore decided to award marks out of fifty for each of the champions, as follows... Fleur Delacour, though she demonstrated excellent use of the Bubble-Head Charm, was attacked by grindylows as she approached her goal, and failed to retrieve her hostage. We award her twenty-five points."

"I deserve zero," Fleur said, shaking her head.

"Cedric Diggory, who also used a bubblehead charm, was the first to return with his hostage, though he returned one minute outside the one-hour limit. We, therefore, award him forty-seven points!" His house cheered loudly.

"Viktor Krum used an incomplete form of Transfiguration, which was nevertheless effective and was second to return with his hostage. We award him forty points." Krum's school cheered loudly for him.

"Harry Potter used gillyweed to great effect. He returned last, and well outside the time limit of an hour. However, the Merchieftainess informs us that Mr. Potter was first to reach the hostages and that the delay in his return was due to his determination to return all hostages to safety, not merely his own."

"Most of the judges," Bagman gave Karkaroff a very nasty look.

"feel that this shows moral fiber and merits full marks. However... Mr. Potter's score is forty-five points."

Harry was now tied with Cedric. Draco rolled his eyes as Charlotte grinned at her brother.

"Ms. Potter! There you are! I have been calling for you! You need to get checked out!" Madam Pomfrey yelled, grabbing Charlotte by the arm and pulling her up.

"I'll see you later," Charlotte called over to Draco.

"Don't hide in the lake this time," Draco told her, as she walked away.