Chapter 71 (Year 6)

Charlotte entered the hospital wing, seeing Bill on the bed, his face almost unrecognizable with all the werewolf scars that Greyback had left him with. James, Remus, Sirius, Peter, Lily, Lilliana, Tonks, Ron, and Hermione were sitting around his bed. Remus hovering over the bed, looking at Bill's wound.

Lily and James stood up as Charlotte walked over to them. She noticed Lilliana's head resting on Peter's shoulder, their fingers intertwined.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt, are you? Where's Harry?" James asked, as Lily stood and hugged Charlotte.

"I'm fine, Harry should be coming up with Ginny soon," Charlotte said, he signed relieved, before letting Charlotte sit in the seat he had just vacated. Harry arrived a few minutes later with Ginny, his face very pale.

"Dad, Mum," Harry muttered, as Lily came and hugged him.

"Everything's going to be okay, Harry," Lily said.

"Can't you fix them with a spell or something?" Harry asked, looking at Bill.

They spoke about Bill's medical condition, Ron trying to find something that can help him, but nothing could.

"Ron — Dumbledore's dead," Ginny said, cutting off Ron, who was trying to find Dumbledore.

"No!" Remus shouted, falling into a chair beside Bill, his hands over his face.

"How did he die? How did it happen?" Tonks whispered.

"Snape killed him. I was there, I saw it. We arrived back at the Astronomy Tower because that's where the Mark was... Dumbledore was ill, he was weak, but I think he realized it was a trap when we heard footsteps running up the stairs. He immobilized me, I couldn't do anything, I was under the Invisibility Cloak — and then Malfoy came through the door and disarmed him —"

"No!"

"Malfoy?" James asked, looking at Charlotte, who stared at Bill's face, avoiding the others.

" — More Death Eaters arrived — and then Snape, and Snape did it. The Avada Kedavra." Harry explained.

"Draco? Why was Draco there?" Lilliana asked,

"He's a death eater," Harry said,

"No! He's only sixteen!" Lilliana shouted.

"Did you know?" Harry asked Charlotte. Charlotte didn't answer.

"Charlotte, did you know?" James yelled,

"Yes, I knew! But you don't understand! He didn't have a choice!" Charlotte yelled, as her father opened his mouth to yell again.

"Don't say anything bad about him! He didn't want to kill Dumbledore! He didn't have a choice! He wasn't-Draco didn't- "Charlotte shouted, gasping, as tears streamed down her face. She felt like the tears she was holding in all day finally exploded. James's heart felt like breaking for Charlotte as he watched her.

"It's okay, it's okay," James said, as he sat down in the chair next to hers and hugged a shaking Charlotte.

The others explained to Harry about what had happened that night, while James tried to calm Charlotte down, his shirt getting soaked in the process.

"We just let them pass. We thought they were being chased by the Death Eaters — and next thing, the other Death Eaters and Greyback were back and we were fighting again — I thought I heard Snape shout something, but I don't know what —" Tonks explained in a weak voice.

"He shouted, 'It's over. He'd done what he'd meant to do." Harry muttered.

---

The door burst open a little later that night, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, along with Fleur, ran into the hospital wing.

"Molly — Arthur —" said Professor McGonagall, jumping up and hurrying to greet them.

"I am so sorry —"

"Bill!" Mrs. Weasley said, ignoring Professor McGonagall and going straight to Bill's side.

"Oh, Bill." She cried,

"You said Greyback attacked him? But he hadn't transformed? So, what does that mean? What will happen to Bill?" Mr. Weasley asked Professor McGonagall.

"We don't know yet." Professor McGonagall said, hopelessly at Remus.

"There will probably be some contamination, Arthur," said Remus.

"It is an odd case, possibly unique...We don't know what his behavior might be like when he awakens..."

"And Dumbledore...is it true...is he really?" Mr. Weasley asked, and Professor McGonagall nodded.

"Dumbledore's gone." He whispered.

"Of course, it doesn't matter how he looks... It's not r-really important... but he was a very handsome little b-boy... always very handsome... and he was g-going to be married!" Mrs. Weasley said, bursting into tears. Fleur, who was been staring at Bill's face, helplessly looked up at Mrs. Weasleys.

"And what do you mean by zat?" Fleur suddenly very loudly.

"What do you mean, ''e was going to be married?'"

"Well — only that —"

"You theenk Bill will not wish to marry me anymore? You theenk, because of these bites, he will not love me?" Fleur demanded.

"No, that's not what I- "Mrs. Weasley tried.

"Because 'e will! It would take more zan a werewolf to stop Bill from loving me!"

"Well, yes, I'm sure, but I thought perhaps — given how — how he —"

"You thought I would not weesh to marry him? Or per'aps, you hoped?" said Fleur.

"What do I care how he looks? I am good-looking enough for both of us, I theenk! All these scars show is zat my husband is brave! And I shall do zat!" Fleur shouted, grabbing the moist clothes that Mrs. Weasley had been using to wipe Bill's scars with. Mrs. Weasley fell back against her husband, staring at Fleur.

"Our Great-Auntie Muriel has a very beautiful tiara — goblin-made — which I am sure I could persuade her to lend you for the wedding. She is very fond of Bill, you know, and it would look lovely with your hair." Mrs. Weasley said, quietly.

"Thank you, I am sure zat will be lovely," Fleur said, and then they were hugging.