Chapter 37 (Summer)

The Potters spent the next couple of weeks at the Grimmulad place. Charlotte and Harry helped get the place clean for them to live in. The trial was the next day, and Dumbledore asked to meet with the Potters in the kitchen, without Harry.

"As you know, Harry's trial is tomorrow- "Dumbledore said.

"He can't lose, it would go against several rules that the ministry has created," Lily said, very quickly, cutting Dumbledore off.

"Your right, Mrs. Potter, it would. But the ministry thinks Harry is lying. The paper has been slaughtering Harry's name, so the Ministry is not going to want to let Harry win this case easily." Dumbledore said,

"Then what do we do?" James asked. He had a hard expression on his face. He seemed to always have a hard expression on his face these past couple of weeks.

"James, you will take Harry and Charlotte to the trial tomorrow. Charlotte and you will wait outside until I let Charlotte in. She will be our surprise witness."

"But I'm his sister. Would they even take my testimony seriously?" Charlotte asked.

"You will give your testimony and they will have to believe you, be honest, sincere, and truthful, and they will have to believe you." He said. Charlotte nodded.

"You think we have a chance at winning?" Lily asked. Dumbledore nodded.

"I do. Even if the witness is Harry's sister, we also have James that can testify. He's very well respected at the ministry. They cannot ignore a top Auror telling you this has happened, many of the members will believe you." Dumbledore explained.

"Do not worry, I will not let Harry be expelled from my school," Dumbledore said. Lily and James both visibly looked more relieved at Dumbledore's words.

"Right, I must leave. I don't want to stay here long." Dumbledore said, standing up. Charlotte knew he was trying to avoid Harry, so his meetings were very brief, and so this meeting had taken place very early in the morning before everyone else woke up.

Lilliana stumbled in, bumping right into Dumbledore, her eyes very heavy.

"Oh, I'm sorry Professor Dumbledore, I'm just so tired after my turn at guarding the prophecy." She explained as she sat down.

"Would you like some coffee?" Lily asked, Lilliana, nodded, as Dumbledore said goodbye again and left.

"Yes, please. I have to work after this. I'm going to crash tonight." Lily stood up and poured her a cup of coffee. Charlotte stared at Lilliana Malfoy, still in shock that no one had even breathed her name before this summer.

"So, Lilliana, you don't believe what your parents do, do you?" Charlotte asked.

"I wouldn't be here if I do." Lilliana shrugged, casually. People had been asking her the same questions for years now.

"Have you spoken to your family? Since you left, I mean." Charlotte asked, as her mother handed her a glass of coffee with extra sugar.

"Not since I left Hogwarts, and that was six years ago." Charlotte grabbed a cookie off the table and bit into it.

"What about Draco?" Lilliana smiled.

"He has started writing me letters since his third year." Lilliana met Charlotte's gaze, and her smirk grew.

"He has told me very much." James, who had walked over to Lily by the counter to drink his coffee with her, looked between Lilliana and Charlotte. Charlotte's face was turning a slight shade of red.

"Much?"

"Much."

"I-um... that's good. I don't know Malfoy that well, I mean." Charlotte shrugged, and Lilliana laughed into her mug.

"Really?" Lilliana asked.

"Really."

"I feel like they are talking about something we're not understanding," James whispered to Lily, who shrugged as she sipped on her coffee.

"I think Charlotte likes Draco."

"No! No, she can no-"

"Keep your voice down or they will hear you," Lily muttered, glancing over at Charlotte and Lilliana, who were both giggling quietly in the corner. James scowled.

"That isn't true-"

"It is true. I think she likes him. Like when we were at their school last year. I don't think Charlotte knew she was doing this, but she would glance over at Draco every couple of minutes. She likes him, James. We just have to learn to accept it."

"I will not accept it, Lily. His father was a death eater. He's probably lounging around with Voldemort, sipping tea, and talking about their next move to kill us. I can just imagine his smirking face as they catch us." James huffed.

"One second we're talking about Charlotte's feelings and the next murder." Lily shook her head, laughing.

"What about Ron, or Fred, or George, or any other person?" James suggested.

"You can't force her to like someone else. Who knows, maybe it's just a small schoolgirl crush, and Draco doesn't have any feelings for her. But I mean I did see him smile-"

"What?"

"Oh, a boy can't smile at Charlotte but you can chase me around Hogwarts for what, five years?" She asked sarcastically.

"Yes." James nodded, looking very serious.

"James." Lily chuckled. Charlotte looked over at her parents, who were giggling at each other and talking in hushed tones.

"What are they talking about?" Charlotte wondered out loud. Lilliana shrugged.

"Don't know."

"So, Draco really told you everything," Charlotte asked after Lilliana told her that Draco had told her that Charlotte was his girlfriend.

"Charlotte, I feel like I know you more than I know anyone else here, cause he talks about you in like what? Every single letter. Charlotte did this. She told me this. She likes this. What will I get her for Christmas next year?" Charlotte giggled.

"You knew him before you came here. He was mean and cruel, and yet you still chose to like him?" Lilliana said.

"I don't know why, I didn't at first."

Charlotte had decided that the conversation had drifted far too much about her, and wanted to get the conversation back on Lilliana.

"So, what did you do after you left? You needed somewhere to stay?" Lilliana smiled.

"I went to Sirius, knocked on his apartment, and I told him everything. He stared at me for what felt like two minutes, and then said, come on in."

"You still live with him?"

"Nah, I moved out. When I started making money, I didn't want Sirius to spend on both of us any longer," Lilliana said, her eyes drooping again.

"Lilliana, why don't you go rest for the day? I'll take your shift. I don't mind." James said,

"No, I don't want to be a bother, I'll be fine-"

"No, I insist. You can't even keep your head up anymore."

"If you insist, then I'm going to bed!" She said, as she stood up, and started walking to her bedroom. Charlotte watched her. After their conversation, she had decided that Lilliana was just like Peter. An event that happened because of Charlotte sacrificing herself for her family.