Chapter 55 (Year 6)

"The very best of evenings to you!" Dumbledore shouted. After they had finished their meal, he stood with his arms opened wide to embrace the whole room. Everyone gasped, looking at Dumbledore's decade hand.

"What happened to his hand?" Parvati gasped, but no one answered.

"Nothing to worry about. Now... to our new students, welcome to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you..." Dumbledore went on to speak about what they could and could not do during their stay at Hogwarts.

"We are pleased to welcome a new member of staff this year. Professor Slughorn is a former colleague of mine who has agreed to resume his old post of Potion's master." Slughorn stood up, smiling at everyone.

"Potions?" Everyone whispered.

"Professor Snape, meanwhile, will be taking over the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," Dumbledore explained.

"No!" Harry shouted so loudly that some people turned to look at him. He was still covered in blood from his encounter with Draco. The Slytherins started cheering. Snape raised his hand in lazy acknowledgment, but everyone could see the proud, arrogant smirk he had on his face.

"I cannot emphasize strongly enough how dangerous the present situation is, and how much care each of us at Hogwarts must take to ensure that we remain safe. The castle's magical fortifications have been strengthened over the summer, and we are protected in new and more powerful ways, but we must still guard scrupulously against carelessness on the part of any student or member of staff. I urge you, therefore, to abide by any security restrictions that your teachers might impose upon you, however irksome you might find them — in particular, the rule that you are not to be out of bed after hours. I implore you, should you notice anything strange or suspicious within or outside the castle, to report it to a member of staff immediately? I trust you to conduct yourselves, always, with the utmost regard for your own and others' safety."

"But now, your beds await, as warm and comfortable as you could possibly wish, and I know that your top priority is to be well-rested for your lessons tomorrow. Let us therefore say good night. Pip pip!" Dumbledore beamed, as the students all rose from their seats.

"Charlotte, what happened to Harry's nose? He's covered in blood." Lavender asked as they walked out.

"I don't know." Charlotte lied as they walked out. She spotted Draco walking alone in the hallway away from the other Slytherins, who were going to the Slytherin common room.

"I'll meet up with you guys later," Charlotte said, cutting off Lavender as she spoke about her owl grades.

"Where are you going?" Parvati asked. Charlotte didn't answer.

---

Charlotte had followed Draco until they were in an empty hallway. He seemed to be in a hurry to run upstairs.

"Draco!" She called. She could see him freeze in his tracks before turning around. His face looked tired, as if he hadn't slept in a couple of days.

"What do you want?" He spat as she ran up to him.

"Well, it's nice to see you two, after three months," Charlotte muttered, crossing her arms over her chest. Draco rolled his eyes.

"I thought you would get the hint," Draco said, as he rubbed his forehead, exhausted.

"You think I ever take a hint?" Charlotte breathed, almost laughing.

"I'm breaking up with you. I sent you a letter."

"Yes, what the hell was that? Dear Charlotte. We're over. Signed Draco? I also don't accept your breakup, so we're not over." Charlotte said.

"We are over," Draco said. She shook her head.

"Technically, we both have to agree to this breakup, and I don't agree," Charlotte said.

"God, you are so stubborn!" Draco shouted.

"I don't care how stubborn you think I am! We're not breaking up!" Charlotte shouted back. Draco ran his hands through his hair, breathing heavily as he tried to calm down.

"Charlotte, I'm doing this for your own good. Just let me do one right thing this year." He said, his voice sounding heavy with guilt.

"How can it be the right thing if we're not even together?" Charlotte asked as she tried to catch his eyes, but he wouldn't look at her.

"I'm sorry, Charlotte. I don't want to be together anymore."

Not while I'm a death eater.

Draco thought as he turned around. Charlotte grabbed him by the left shoulder, forcing him to turn around. She lifted his sleeve up. She felt as if she had stopped breathing, as she stared at the dark mark. Draco jerked away from her, pushing his sleeve down, and looking around the hallway frantically.

"How dare you do that!" Draco shouted, his heart beating against his chest.

"I knew you did it, but still," Charlotte said, without thinking.

"Knew I, did it? How could you possibly know?" Draco asked.

"It doesn't matter how I know, I do, and I don't care, Draco. I don't believe you had a choice."

"I did have a choice, and I choose to become a death eater." He whispered, looking around in the hallway.

"Voldemort is going to kill you and your family. How is that a choice?" Charlotte asked. Draco cringed at the name, before shrugging.

"Don't tell anyone, Charlotte. This is exactly why I need to end this with you."

"But I don't care."

"But I do," Draco said.

"You can't force me to fall in love with you, and then just leave. You don't get to do that." Charlotte said, her eyes filling with tears. Draco finally looked Charlotte in the eyes but wish he hadn't.

"I didn't force you." He muttered weakly, shaking his head as he took a step back. Charlotte walked closer to him.

"Yes, you did! You were the one that wouldn't leave me alone third year! You forced us to hang out once a week! You were the one who kissed me fourth year! You were the one who snuck into my bedroom window and waited a week until I showed up! You were the one to do all of this! And you should be the one to say I love you first! "Charlotte shouted, shoving a finger very harshly into Draco's chest.

"I do love you," Draco said, grabbing her hand.

"Then don't break up with me, because it's not going to work. I'll still come and find you every day!" Charlotte said,

"But it's for your own safety and my conscious. I love you Charlotte but we can't be together, not like this." Draco said, as he let her hand go, Charlotte shook her head at him, wrapping her arms around herself, as she watched Draco turn around and leave this time, she did not want to stop him, but she knew she wouldn't let go of him.