Two

Alexa Ramirez

I stared at my reflection on the wall mirror. I see a woman full of determination. A small smile formed on my lips as I thought of a certain thing. A lot of people say I'm beautiful but I know I was not. I only see a normal woman. A well-groomed woman. A slender, with plentiful dark hair, hazel brown eyes and fine, clear skin.

I heaved a deep sigh and put on my stilettoes. I turned around and when I'm satisfied with what I'm wearing, I headed downstairs.

Tonight, I'll be attending my father's meeting with the Paterson's at a certain restaurant. Once I heard about it, I talked to my father if he can bring me with him. Of course, he refused. He doesn't want my presence there because he knew that I'm just interested to go with him because Jayden is there. But I used my charisma as his daughter until he finally gives in. Even my mother laughed at him.

"Wow! You really dressed up for the meeting huh?" my father remarks making me smile.

"She's going to impress someone in the meeting," commented Jade who appeared from the dining rooms door. I rolled my eyes. Jade is really trying to make fun of me. She's just lucky enough to have a boyfriend like Kent.

"Ah, ah. Don't piss your sister. Let her be," says my mother who is standing beside my dad. Jade just nodded and headed upstairs. We watched her ascends the stairs.

"We'll be late," says my father to my mother.

"Yeah, take good care of yourself honey," she replied and give my father a hug and a kiss. I smiled. They really are sweet even if they age.

"And you, Alexa, behave," says my mother with a smile on her lips. I nodded and hug her tight before giving her a kiss on her cheek.

My father and I headed outside and climbed into the car. I looked at my wrist watch. It's still six thirty. My fathers' meeting with the Paterson will be at seven thirty. "Dad, we still have an hour before the meeting, can we pass by a bakery?" I asked. I wanted to give Jayden a cake.

My father stared at me. "No, knowing the Patersons, they'll be there as early than us. They might be there already," he replied as he started the engine. I just nodded my head and leaned on my seat.

The whole ride was so quiet. I was just too thankful that music exists. That made the atmosphere lighter. Being with my father is really boring. If not because of Jayden, I'll not be with him.

"We are here," he announced once he parked the car. I immediately climbed out the car and waited for him.

We entered the house with me following him. The restaurant is well decorated. This is actually the first time I've stepped into this restaurant and I can say that I'm impressed. The linen tablecloths are super white and the decorations are perfectly elaborated. We immediately spotted Henry and Jayden Paterson at the very corner of the restaurant. We walked towards them.

I saw both annoyance and surprised in Jayden's eyes. "Good evening Nelson. I didn't know that your daughter is coming with you," he said making my father smile.

"Ah, I actually asked her to come. I asked her to take down everything that we will be talking about," says my father. A victorious smile appeared on my lips. I didn't know that my father can lie in front of his friends.

My father pulled a chair for me just across Jayden. Henry raised his hand to get the attention of the waiter. After sometime, the waiter came and started to take our orders.

"What's this meeting all about?" my father asked making Henry smile.

"As usual, I need you for this another project that we've been planning. You're the only person I can think of as perfect match for this," Henry replied without any hesitation. I just stayed there as I listened to what they're talking about. My eyes are only focused to this particular man, Jayden.

I started to dig into my foods when it was served. I just stayed there busy with my foods while listening to what they're talking about. And I can say that it's boring. The only reason for me to be there is Jayden.

"My son is having a hard time this past few days. He doesn't even have time to fix his schedule," says Henry.

"I can't really fix my schedules alone," replies Jayden.

"Ah, why is that?" asked my dad.

I put down my fork and look expectantly at Jayden who had finished his food and now sitting comfortably in his seat. "My secretary Julia just leave. Her husband has been telling her to rest and just focus on her pregnancy. I don't have a choice but to let her go. Her baby's life is much more important," says Jayden.

"When did she leave?" I asked.

Jayden look at me. "Three days ago," he simply replied. That's the only time that he talked to me in a very civil way.

"I'm telling him to look for another secretary to do all necessary arrangements for him but he's just too lazy to interview people," says Henry.

"I tried but those ladies who come for the interview just want to see me and are using the position to make a move on me," says Jayden.

Without even thinking, I volunteered to be his secretary. All pairs of eyes are on me. "I- I mean, yes, I can - can be your secretary," I said still looking at Jayden who just stared back at me.

"I don't think that you can work for him and handle all things," says my dad. I looked at him and smiled.

"Dad, ever since I got my degree you've been pampering me on applying it. Maybe it's time, it's time for me to enter the business world," I replied.

"Ah, I think that's a great news. Jayden will be having a peace of mind," says Henry to which I smiled.

"You still don't have any experience- "

"Nah, I can learn as fast as you could expect," I said cutting whatever Jayden is about to say.

"Okay, then. I'll hire you to be my son's new secretary and you can start working tomorrow," Henry said making me nod.

"But dad, I can hire a more experienced one," Jayden said but his father shakes his head.

When Jayden saw determination in his father eyes, he heaved a deep sigh and stared at me. "Fine, I'll let her be my secretary but once she made a mistake, I'll fire her," he said to which his father smiled and nodded.

A victorious smile appeared on my lips. I wasn't expecting the fact that accompanying my father in this meeting will give me a chance to be with Jayden in his office.

---M.F.P---