Thirty-five

Jayden Paterson

I pulled a plain grey t-shirt and heads out of my room. I just came from my meeting. I didn't mind changing my jeans. Yes, I attended a meeting by just wearing a jeans and a white polo. Well, I really don't care. As long as I look good on it, then it's fine.

I strode inside my mini bar. I went to where the wine is and poured myself a glass of wine. It's time to chill after all my meetings. I'm already chilling with my wine when my phone suddenly rings. I dig it out from my pocket and answered the call without even seeing who the person is. "Yes?"

"Can you have a dinner with us son?" says my mom from the other line.

It's been almost three weeks now that I never see my parents. I've been busy with my work and with Grace. Yes, after the encounter at my office, I introduced Grace as my girlfriend. Well, I'm not really into her. I don't feel anything towards her. I just want Alexa to know that I really don't have anything to do with her. "Why is that?" I asked.

"We just want to talk to you about this news spreading online. Are you aware of it?" she asked. Well, honestly, I really don't give a damn with all news around me. I'm just focused on my work and some important matter that relates with the country's economy and politics. Yeah, that's it.

"What's all about that news?" I asked.

"Your engagement," she replied. That made me think.

"What engagement are you talking about?" I suddenly ask.

"That's what we actually want to know. And if you want, come for dinner. We will talk about it," says my mother before ending the call.

What the hell is my mother talking about? I'm still not engaged. I don't know what is really going on now. And it hits me. I suddenly remembered something. Grace asks me to buy a ring the day after I announced that she's my girlfriend. I was about to dial her number when I heard a commotion from the living room. I put my phone down and went outside.

I saw Trent on the living room calling out for my name. Ruby is trying to tell him something but he just ignores her. Anger is visible in his face. "What do you need?" I coldly said making him look my way.

Trent just smirked the time his eyes landed on me. Then, he walks towards me. I thought he'll just tell me something but the next thing he did surprised me. He just punched my face. I hold on my jaw that he punched.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" I asked. Ruby tried to pull Trent away but I gestured her to just go away. She immediately gets what I mean and leave together with the two maids and Lita, the oldest maid I have.

"What the hell is wrong with you! Should I be the one to ask you that Jayden?" Trent replied making me look at him intently. How dare he just barged in my place and punch me without any reason. And why is he mad? Should I be the one to act mad at him after what he did? After betraying me?

That thought made me punch him in return. Even if I don't have any connection with Alexa anymore, I still can't forget the fact that both of them did something behind my back.

"You want a fight?" I asked.

"Bullshit Jayden! What did you do?" he asked.

"Nah, I should be the one to ask you that!"

"Jayden, I did my part for you to realize that Alexa is a precious woman but you just let her go just like that and even introduce a woman that's not even good for you," says Trent.

"What do you mean you did your part? What part? The part where you and Alexa betrayed me and dated behind my back? Trent, two months is still not done but you already made a move!" I replied making him shake his head.