Twenty-three

Jayden Paterson

"Sir, is there anything that you want me to do?"

I heaved a deep sigh and turned to face her. "If I didn't show up and interfere, are you going to accept his offer?" I asked as I stared at her intently. I waited for her answer but received nothing. Alexa just gives me a knowing look.

"W- what are you talking about?"

"You know what I mean," I coldly replied. I don't know but I have this feeling that I still cannot tell. Seeing her talking a while ago with Trent makes me mad. Mad. Yes, that's the exact word to describe what I felt a while ago.

"Trent?"

"First name basis? I didn't know that you're that close huh," I said.

"Hey what's wrong with that? That's what he prefers," she replied.

"He is a player if you're still not aware."

Alexa laughed. "Runs in your blood. That's what he always tells me. You are his model," she replied making me look at her.

"And?" I asked raising my eyebrow. If she thinks I'm joking, then she's definitely wrong.

"And, and - hey, why did you really ask for my presence?" she said making me look away. I walked towards my swivel chair and sits on it.

"Book me a flight to Paris next week," I said.

"Okay. Is that it sir?" she asked making me look at her. I shook my head.

"I decided not to go alone. I want you to be there too. So, book a flight for us."

"But I -"

"No buts and stupid reasons. I want you to do what I want you to do," I said cutting her. Alexa just nodded.

"Anything else sir?" she asked making me shake my head.

"I'll just call you later," I replied as I glance at my watch. "I still have something to do," I added to which she nodded. She turned on her heels and is about to walk away when I remembered something.

"Did you cook something for launch?"

Alexa turned to face me. "Ah, uhm - well, I was not able to cook something. Will it be okay for you if I order something for you?" she asked making me nod. It's been a while since I tasted her own made food. And a part of me misses it.

I watch her disappear out of my sight. That's when I heaved a sigh that I didn't know I was holding while talking to her. What is she doing to me? Why do I feel these strange feelings towards her? Then it hits me. This started the day I hurt her. The day I made her tear up because of my stupid and hateful words towards her.

The ringing of my phone made me forget that thought. It's from one of my business partners. A call that I've been waiting since yesterday. I answered it and talked to him.

Once I'm done talking to him about business, I focused on preparing the papers that I planned to take with me at Paris. I need to fix it now to have a good flight. I will not be thinking about it.

I was too busy with what I'm doing that I didn't notice the time. If it's not because of Alexa who brought me my launch, I'll not be aware of the time.

When launch is done, I asked Alexa to accompany me at the conference room at two. I have an important meeting and I need her there. I asked her to take down notes of the things that we are going to talk about with my partner. The meeting ended at four thirty. I continued with my other work until six.

"Why are you still here?" I asked Alexa who is still doing something on her laptop.

She looked up at me and smiled. "Nah, I'm just trying to finish something. If only I came in early," she replied.