Twelve

Alexa Ramirez

"Hey, are you still not done?"

I turned around to face the person. It was Jade wearing a smile on her face. "Almost done sister," I replied making her nod.

"Good, you need to be done before our guess will come," says Jade as she heaved a deep sigh to which I nodded.

I turned and focus on what I'm doing. Today, I'm cooking because the Paterson's will be here soon and I can't say that I'm really excited. Because of too much excitement I have since this morning, I volunteered to be the one to cook for dinner. And, here I am doing that.

My parents didn't stop me from doing it because they know how good I am at cooking. Even my sister Jade is not good at it. "You're really doing things for him. I'm really impressed," comments Jade who I thought is out of the kitchen.

"I want him to have a taste of the food I cook," I replied as I close the cooking pan. Well, I'm already on my last dish for the night.

"What does that even mean? You're always cooking for him," she suddenly said. That wasn't I'm expecting.

"Uhm, I mean, yeah. I've been cooking for him but I still want to cook something that is for dinner and you know, he will be tasting a new dish of mine," I replied to which she nodded. I was relieved when my sister didin't ask anything anymore. She just pulled a chair for herself and stayed there and watch me do the things.

"I really wish to have the skills you have," says Jade when I'm done with my cooking. I clapped my hands as soon as I'm satisfied with everything that I prepared. I turned to my sister and gives her a smile.

"Yeah. You really should have listened to me in the first place," I replied making her laugh.

"Yeah. I should. Now, I'm ashamed of myself because I can't even cook a single dish for my Kent," she replied to which I just laughed. Well, that's what I'm saying. Jade really is not good in the kitchen. She knew how to eat but she doesn't have time on cooking.

"Don't be. Cooking is easy to learn. You just give time for it."

"Can you be my teacher," she replied making me shrug my shoulder. Of course, I can always be her teacher.

"Of course! I'll be very glad to teach you with everything I know," I replied.

"Yeah but -" says Jade as she glanced at her wrist watch. "It's already seven and I think, the Patersons will be here in a minute and you're still not prepared," she continued. That made me aware of how I look.

I'm still wearing an oversized t-shirt, my usual attire when I'm in the house. I instantly told Jade that I'll be going upstairs to change. Jade was just laughing when I headed out of the kitchen.

Once I'm in my room, I went straight to the bathroom and take a bath. Yeah, I need to smell good in front of our guess. Well, I don't smell bad but I still want to give a good impression for all of them. A small and satisfied smile appeared on my lips as the warm water comes in contact with my body.

I stayed there for almost fifteen minutes before I finally find my way out only wearing a piece of towel. I went to my closet and look for a perfect piece of clothes to wear.

I chose a baby blue dress that ends my mid-thigh. I put my hair in a messy bun and put a minimal make up. I also chose a baby blue flats of mine. I look at myself at the wall mirror and was satisfied with my overall look.

I put a perfume and headed downstairs. Henry and Evelyn are already in the living room when I finally descended the stairs.
"Good evening dear," says Evelyn as soon as she saw me. She pulled me for a hug.

When I pulled myself away from her, I greeted Henry who just gives a nod. I looked around and I furrowed my brows. Why can't I see Jayden? Is Jayden coming?" I asked.

Henry smiled. "Don't worry that man is on his way," he replied making me nod. Are they not living in the same roof?

"Ah, while waiting for him, let's first have some little fun talk," says my mom that made Evelyn laugh.

"A little talk means, we need a longer time to talk," she said as we sit down on the couch.

"Mom, where is Jade?" I asked facing my mother.

"She's still in her room. I don't know, she's maybe talking to her fiancé," replied my mother.

"Ah, Jade is going to be married soon, how about you Alexa? Do you have anyone to introduce to us?" asks Evelyn that made me look at her.

"I - I really don't have anyone right now, but I'll surely introduce him to you," I replied. I know Evelyn is aware that I'm into his son but I don't want to say words that might destroy my family's reputation.

"Ah, good to hear. If I only have all the will in this world, I'll let my son marry you," she said to which my parents laugh. Even Henry laughed at what his wife just said.

"What is the laughter all about?" says Jade who is walking towards us.

"Ah, it's about Alexa's soon to be husband," says our mother.

Jade just smiled. "We are all aware that Alexa has her eyes only for one certain man," Jade replied.

"Nosy!" I remarked.

"That's enough. Let's just talk about your marriage preparation Jade," says Evelyn. My mom was about to say something when Jayden suddenly showed up from the entrance door.

"Here he is! My son really is a man who doesn't know the time," says Evelyn making me chuckle. She's right. Everytime he has a meeting; he is the one who arrives the last.

Jayden greeted us and gives my father and his father a manly hug. When his eyes landed on Jade, I saw both adoration and sadness passes through his eyes. What does those emotions even mean?

"Why don't we continue discussing things at the dining room. It will be much happier," says my mother that we all agreed.

We all headed to the dining room and let our maid do their job of serving us foods. The maid serves us first the appetizers. While we are having it, my dad, Jayden and Henry talk about some business matters. We just stayed on our seats and listened to whatever they're talking about. We really don't have the interest on it.

When we are done with the appetizers, the maids serve us the main dish for dinner. And I'm really excited to Jayden's reaction after tasting the food. "This are good. Lucky that you have a good cook in your house," says Henry to which my dad just smiled.

"This are good!" commented Evelyn that everyone agreed.

"This food are all prepared by my sister," says Jade with a proud smile on her lips. I looked at her. Why would she suddenly tell them that I'm the one who cook all the foods. Jayden didn't even say anything about it.

"Wow! That's great. The man you'll marry is so lucky to have you in his house," says Evelyn.

"That's actually her goal," says my mom.

I looked at Jayden who is staring at me. Whoa, I didn't know that he is staring at me. He instantly looked away when my eyes meet his. "Does it taste good?" I asked staring at him.

He looked back at me. "My cook is better that you," he coldly replied. The whole room becomes silent after his comment. Evelyn just stared at me. Is he really that cold that he cannot even give me a compliment?

---M.F.P---