Thirty-six

Alexa Ramirez

With the help of my crutches, I am able to reach the kitchen. I smiled as soon as I see my mother busy with something on the sink. "Mom, where did Kent and Jade go?" I asked making her face me.

"Uh, they went out for launch," replies my mother.

She walks towards me and pulled a chair. "Here have a seat. I'll just prepare your launch," she said before kissing me on my forehead.

This past few days, I've been her baby. She's always present. She always gives me everything that I want. She's worried about me and she doesn't even allow me to walk around alone but my dad told her that it's fine if I walk around. It will help me to recover. "I miss your foods Alexa," says my mother as she put my food in front of me.

I looked up at her and smiled. She smiled at me and pats my head. "I miss cooking for you too," I replied to which she nodded.

"Even Jade misses all the foods you cook for her."

"I didn't know that my sister misses my foods," I said as I laugh. Mom just nodded and motioned me to eat.

I recite a short prayer before digging on my food. I can say that my mother is a really good cook. My dad will always compare me to her. According to dad, I'm just like my mother when Jade and I don't exist. She loves cooking and that is what he likes more making him fall for my mother.

"Why are you smiling?" asks my mom.

"Nah, just remembering how dad teases you every time I cook for our food," I replied making her shrug her shoulders.

Mom just stayed there watching me eating my food. And to lighten the atmosphere, I tried to open up a topic. Mom just rides on my trip until I finally finished my food. "You really are a fast eater!" comments my mom to which I laughed.

"Mom, eating is the best thing to do aside from sleeping of course," I replied making her shake her head.

"Ah, honey, once you marry someone just like your sister, you will surely discover things that are good enough than that of eating and sleeping," says my mom as she wiggles her eyebrows.

"And I don't like to discover what you're trying to tell me," I immediately replied making her laugh. Yeah, mom is such a woman who would just tease me about marriage and I'm not innocent not to know what she wants to tell me.

My mom, assisted me to the back of the house. Yeah, this past days, I prefer staying at the back of the house. Aside from the fact that it's quiet, I can also take in fresh air. My mom planted lots of flowers and our maid helped her out. I can also think clearly if I set my feet in there.

"Here you go honey. Your usual spot," says my mom, making sure that I'm carefully sited at the chair that they put in there for me.

"Mom, are you going to do something?" I asked her.

"Yeah. I need to work from home."

I shrug my shoulder. I almost forgot. My mom has been working from home since the day I had an accident. And I'm very grateful to have her by my side during those days. "Oh, I almost forgot. Sorry."

My mom kneeled in front of me and held my hands that is on my lap. "Don't be sorry," she said as she stared at me.

A small smile crept on my lips. I really feel sorry. If not because of my ambition and the incident, my mom is now helping out my father. I've been a burden to her after the accident.

I just nodded my head. I know my mom. She will surely tell me not to feel sorry because I didn't ask for the accident. It's just an accident and no one see it coming. According to her, I'm lucky enough to survive from that accident.

"Ah, I'll leave you here. Do you still need something?" she asked me.

"Yes please. I want my book," I replied making her nod.

"Is it in your room?"

"Yes mom. On my bedside table. And my phone too."

My mom stands up from kneeling. She nodded her head and leaned forward before kissing me on my forehead. "I'll ask one of our maids to bring your book and cellphone," she said before leaving me.

I heaved a deep sigh once my mother is out of sight. My eyes wander around the place until my eyes landed to my crutches that is on my right side. I bit my lower lip. Memories keeps on flashing back.

I wasn't expecting Jayden to hurt me like that. He took advantage of what I feel for him. He just played along with me.

I shake my head and tried to forget those events. Maybe, I really deserve what happened. If I only listened to my parents and Jade, I should not be hurt like this. If only I listened to Jane and some of my colleagues, then, the accident shouldn't have happened. I should be managing my own restaurant right now.

"Alexa, here is your phone and book," says someone from behind. I turned my head and saw Ella handing me the book and the phone.

I reach out for it and thank her. "Do you want me to do something for you?" she asks.

I smiled. Ella is just three years older than me. And, she's been serving us, specifically me, for almost five years now. I can say that among all our maids, Ella is the only maid we have that I'm close with. Maybe because of our age gap and because she's a friendly woman too. "Nah, it's fine. You can have a rest now. I will just call you once I want to go to my room," I replied.

Ella left after I tell her those words. When I'm all alone, I tried to browse my social media account and I smiled once I see my sisters photo and Kent in our favorite restaurant. My sister is really lucky to have Kent by her side. Their love for each other is pure and real. Once I'm done, I opened the novel. I turned on the page I last stopped. Ah, the exciting part, I thought.

I am already in the middle of what I'm doing when someone called for my name. My heart skipped as soon as I hear that voice. A voice that I'm not expecting to hear after what happened. I didn't turn to see who it is. I still don't know what to tell him.

Moments later, Jayden is now standing in front of me. He is not alone because his cousin, Trent, is with him. Trent stands behind him.

What are they doing here? Why do they need to come uninvited? What are they up to?

"Alexa," says Jayden.

What should I do now? I stared at him and did the last thing I have in mind. "Who are you?" I asked. His brows furrowed as soon as those words came out my mouth.

---M.F.P---