Eighteen

Alexa Ramirez

Today, I'm supposed to accompany Jayden. But I decided not to. I really don't feel the excitement I always have everytime he asks me to accompany him at one of his meetings.

I thought he'll be mad at the time I told him that I'll be staying in the office. But I was wrong. He didn't even show any emotion. He just stared at me and walk away like he's seen nothing.

Since this morning, he never said a word to me. And as a way of respecting our employee - employer relationship, I just shut my mouth up and just waited for him to tell me whatever I need to do. I was just too glad that he didn't ask me to do something. No piles of papers on my desk.

"What's the feeling of just sitting in your desk all the time without doing anything?" says Jane who is standing across me. She pulled a chair for herself and sits on it.

I heaved a sigh and nodded my head. "Boring. I'm really not used to it," I honestly replied. That's what I really feel. I feel like I'm a good for nothing secretary. I'm just sitting in my swivel chair doing nothing while my boss is having his meeting. I should be with him, taking down notes but here I am, just chilling.

"Well, if you are surprised for sir Jayden's sudden change of attitude, we are even surprised," says Jane as she stared at me intently. I meet her eyes with mine. We stayed like that for a moment until I decided to break the silence.

"Did his attitude suddenly changed? I didn't even notice that change at all," I replied making her shake her head.

"Really? He's doing things easier for you but you just ignored it? What a woman!" she suddenly said.

"Really? What is going on here?" I asked with pure curiosity. Jane just laughed at me.

"Everyone notice that Jayden has been easy on you for the past weeks," says Jane as she smirks at me. Well, she's right. Jayden has been easy on me for the past two weeks and I really don't have any idea on why he's been too easy. Aside from the fact that he doesn't ask me to do simple things, he's been trying to avoid me by not talking to me.

"I just don't have things to do. A normal thing," I replied as she stares at me. She's about to say something when a blonde woman approached us. She's wearing a dress that reveals her two big lemons.

"Hey employees, is Jayden in his office?" she asks with pure arrogance.

"Well hey to you too arrogant blonde, our boss is not here," replied Jane as she crosses her hand. The blonde woman gives her a glare.

"I'm going to tell Jayden about how rude you are. He will surely fire you!" she replied with a strong loud voice to which Jane just smiled. Even I am silently smiling at the back of my head. Who is she to ask Jayden to fire someone who is working with him for a long time now.

"Excuse me, but why are you looking for him?" I asked. That's my sincerest tone.

"I am his girlfriend and I want to talk to him," she replied. I was a little bit shocked to know about Jayden's love life. A smile formed on my lips. This woman is one of those woman who Jayden is having a good time.

"Ah, Jayden is out for a meeting and maybe he will not come back here," I replied making her nod.

"Anyways, if he comes back, tell him that I came to see him," she said that made me nod.

"Okay," I simply replied.

"Grace. Tell him that Grace came to see him. You'll see, his face will light up!" she said with pure confidence.

"I'll surely tell him Grace," I replied.

"Good. Anyways, I'll not be staying here and wait for nothing. You people are boring. I'll get going," she said.

"We are not boring; we just don't dress like you. Showing our soul to attract everyone," says Jane that made Grace glare at her.

"I'll not let this pass. I will tell Jayden to fire you for bullying me!" she said as she stomped her foot before walking away from us. When she's finally out of sight, Jane and I burst into laughter. That woman is really not for real. She's wearing too much make-up. She looks like a clown than a real woman she is.

"You should put those kind of woman in place," says Jane that made me look at her in curiosity.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, she's not that only woman who came here and asks for Jayden. I already encountered lots of them. But, you know, Jayden really don't have time for them," replied Jane that made me nod.

"That means I'm quite right. That woman really is one of Jayden's past time."

"Absolutely! And you can be one of them if you still continue doing what you're doing," she said with a smirk. I rolled my eyes and diverts my attention to the paper in front me.

Maybe she has a point but still, I would not be like those women because Jayden has no interest in me. She only has his attention to my sister. I still can remember the way he stares at my sister. A kind of look that I cannot even explain. A pang of pain suddenly envelopes me as I remembered that look that I saw for the first time. When will I have those looks from him? I shook my head and forget about that thought.

I hear Jane heaved a sigh before she walks away from me and went back to her desk. I don't know but my sister Jade and Jane are having the same kind of thinking. A thinking that I'm just wasting my time for him.

I just let all that kind of thinking go and focused on my work. I started with fixing Jayden's schedule this coming week. I was a little bit worried because Jayden is going to be extra busy this coming week. I also answered some incoming mails from different partners and clients.

I was in the middle of my work when my phone suddenly rings. Then a familiar feeling suddenly appeared when I saw Jayden's name appear on my screen. Why would he be calling me? I glance at my wrist watch. At this time, he should be in the middle of his meeting but why would he call me?

I can only have the answer of my question if I will pick up the phone. I just reach out for it. "Hello sir," I greeted. I want to be professional as long as I can.

"I forgot the folder that I needed, go and find it in my office and come here as soon as possible," he said.

"But why did you not call me earlier?" I asked.

"Just go and get it. I'm ending the call," he said using his usual arrogant tone. And he really did end the call.

I push myself out of my swivel chair and went inside his office. I know what kind of folder he forgot because I'm the one who prepared it for him. When I finally find the folder, I immediately walks out of the office and went straight to my desk. I fix my desk and my things and headed out of the building.

It took me fifteen minutes to reach my destination. I went inside the restaurant and was greeted by the waitresses. A beautiful lady ushered me towards Jayden's table.

I smiled to both Jayden and the old man he is having the meeting with. Jayden introduce me to the man and told me to have a seat. I thought he'll be arrogant again but he didn't. He even ordered a food for me before he resumed with the meeting. I just stayed silent on my seat and tried to focus on the meeting and remember important details. I know for the fact that Jayden is a great businessman but I still need to be attentive just in case Jayden will be needing my opinion or help.

---M.F.P---