Forty-two

Alexa Ramirez

I wiped away the tears that is rolling down my cheeks as I heard a knock coming from my door. Moments later, my sister Jade comes in with a soft smile on her lips. I watch as she walks towards my bed. I tried to smile but my sister just shakes her head.

"You don't need to act okay in front of me Alexa. I know what you really feel now. You cannot cover the sadness and pain your eyes is showing with a small smile on your lips," she said as she finally sits at the edge of my bed.

"I'm fine," I replied.

My sister smiled. "No you're not. It's been a week now that you isolated yourself in this room," she replied emphasizing the week.

Well, my sister is right. It's been a week now since the last day I talked to Jayden. The day I expected him to stop me from walking away from him but I was wrong. He just let me go. I can't deny the fact that I was hurt.

I pushed myself up for me to lean on the beds headboard and pulled one of my pillows and put it on my lap. I clasped my palm on top of it. "Jade. I- I just can't accept the fact that he just let me go despite all the efforts he did for me," I said. I didn't stop my tears to fall.

My sister moves towards my side. She holds my hands and smiled. "Maybe because you lied to him," she replied making me smile.

"He also lied to me. We just did the same thing. Can't he just let it go and tell me to fix things between us?"

"If you only listened to mom, this would never happen," she commented making me laugh. I knew it. Everything is my fault. And I can't blame them for pinning me on the edge. They're right after all. If I didn't do the act, maybe Jayden will still be with me. But I don't want to admit it to everyone that I'm the one at fault.

"He is not that man I used to adore," I replied making my sister shake her head.

"I don't want to blame you or Jayden. Both of you are at fault and maybe, letting go of each other is best option for you to realize things. If you force things, then it will just turn into mess again," she said. I just stared at her. Jade is really something. Even if she's my sister and she hates Jayden in the past, she didn't side one of us.

Jade used her thumb to wipe my tears. "Stop crying. You are not a baby. Cheer up! There are still lots of fish in the ocean," she suddenly said that made me smile. A sincere and pure smile.

"You want me to catch lots of fish?" I teasingly ask making her laugh.

"As long as you smile and be happy, why not. But please, make sure to catch a beautiful and big fish like my dear husband," she replied making me laugh.

"How did you even catch him? Is there some technique you can share?"

"Oh, I'll tell you once you make yourself presentable! You smell like a fish!"

My eyes literally widened and smell myself. I had my bath two days ago. I didn't do anything for me to sweat. I glared at my sister when I'm done smelling myself. "I still smell good!" I said.

"Of course you do," she replied as she rolled her eyes. "Come on, go and have a bath. Little lily needs someone to take good care of her," she added to which I raised an eyebrow.

"Seriously? I still can't walk!"

My sister nodded. "I forgot," she replied as she shrugged her shoulders.

"Hmm. I'll go and take a bath," I said. Jade pushed herself out of my bed and looked for my crutch that is on the side of my bed. She reaches it out for and helped me walks towards the bathroom. My sister told me that she will be waiting for me until I'm done taking a bath.

Once I'm done, my sister helps me out to change. Yeah, my sister is overreacting again. She can clearly see that I can change on my own but she still insists on helping me out. I just let her do what she wants for us not to argue. When I'm done changing, we both went downstairs.

Jade ushered me at the back of the house where we saw our mom holding little Lily. My mom immediately smiled once her eyes landed on us. "Finally! You came out your jail!" says mom making Jade laugh.

"She just needs someone to push her hard and that's me!" says Jade making our mom laugh.

"Oh, Lily is sleeping! How cute," I said not minding what they're talking about. I came out my room not to hear anything from them about what happened.

"Yeah, Kent and I's little angel," replied Jade. Jade and I sits on the chair just across my mother. We were talking about Jade's married life when my mom suddenly opened up the issue about me and Jayden.

"Mom, that's what I want to forget. Can we just skip that?" I said but mom just shakes her head. According to her, avoiding the topic will bring nothing but pain. It's better for me to open up to have the peace I wanted.

"Fine, mothers know best," I said making my sister and my mother laugh. I didn't have any other choice but to tell them everything. I didn't leave any questions unanswered and both this woman in front of me listened.

"So, what are your plan?" asks my mom.

I looked at them and heaved a sigh. Since the day I walked away from Jayden, I finally had a plan. Plan to forget and start a life. I just didn't make things clear because I'm still in pain. But now that I can finally think straight, I made up my mind.
"I- I'm planning to leave the country," I replied making them gasp.

"Leave? What kind of plan is that? You can't even walk properly," comments my mother. She wasn't expecting my plan. That's visible in her eyes.

"Nah, of course I'll wait for the time that I'll totally recover from this - this injury," I replied.

My mom nodded. "I- I don't know what to say," she said.

"If that will make you feel better, then I'll support you. Just don't forget to come back," says Jade to which I nodded.

"Thank you. You are really the best sister ever!" I replied making my mom smile.

"You two are the best daughters!" she said making both Jade and I laugh.

"And you are the best mom ever!" we both said at the same time.

Mom smiled and divert the topic. I didn't stop myself from smiling. Despite the fact that my love life failed, I'm still happy because my family is always at my back to support me. I'm still lucky because I have someone like my parents and my sister to encourage me to continue with my life.

---M.F.P---