Thirteen

Alexa Ramirez

After that comment of Jayden, I decided not to talk anymore. When I see him enjoying his meal, I didn't say anything. Seeing him eat comfortably makes me smile at the back of my head. At least I now know that he tried the food I prepared. And even if he hates me, he doesn't have a choice but to eat it.

Throughout the meal, I only talk once and when I'm the one who is being asked. I really didn't act as the woman my parents know. I just stayed there and eat while listening to what they're talking about.

When we are done, I decided to stay and help the maid fix the table. Evelyn asked me to just leave it to the maids but I told her that it's been my routine to help them once we are done. She didn't do anything when my mother told her the same.

I was left with the maids. I helped them fix the table and even the one who wash all the dishes. It's the only way for me to help these maids of ours. They've been working hard just to serve us in any way and the only thing I can do is to give them a hand.

When I'm done, I went to my room. I decided to check on my phone. I was expecting a call from a client. And I don't want to miss the call because if I do, I'll certainly be fired. And as if the world is on me, the client called.

We talked and discussed about things that we need to clear. It took me almost half an hour talking to him before he decided to end the call. According to him, he just need an approval from Jayden.

I heaved a deep sigh and headed outside. I should inform Jayden about the thing. The call is all about the project that Jayden suggested to his client. It's about the hospital he is planning to put up. That call really is important because Jayden's approval is needed.

Mom and Evelyn are in the living. I was wondering where all the boys are. "Where are they?" I asked getting their attention.

"Those men went to the library. They want to have some private talk," replied my mother.

"Private talk? Why didn't they invite you?" I asked.

"Ah, business. We are kind of not interested," says Evelyn.

That's when I nodded. They have a point. Business is so much boring. Even if I am already introduced to it, I still can't find interest to it.

"Where is Jade?" I then asked.

"Ah, she's at the back of the house," replied my mom.

"What is she doing there alone?" I asked.

"She's talking with her fiancé a while ago," says Evelyn.

I nodded. Kent really is checking on her every now and then. And that's quite rare for him to do. "I'll go see her then," I said before leaving them at the living room.

I was already on the door towards the back when I saw Jade. She wasn't alone like what my mom and Evelyn told me. She was with Jayden. Their back is facing me and there is no way for them to see me unless they turn around to face me. I walked towards them but immediately stopped on my spot when I heard what Jayden said to Jade. "You're going to be married soon, can I still have a chance to stop it?" asks Jayden.

I immediately stepped back and find a place to hide for them not to see me. I don't know why but something is telling me to stay and just listen. "Yes," Jade simply replied.

Jayden faced her. "Why? Why did you choose him?" asks Jayden. I can hear sadness in his voice. Why would he be sad? Then realization hits me. Is Jayden in love with my sister? Is she the reason why he hates me too much?

"It's because I love him Jayden. Kent is my life," replied Jade.

"But I also love you. Can't you love me back?" he said. I suddenly felt a pang of pain in my heart. Jayden loves my sister.

"Stupid. I already told you that I cannot love you. I told you to just divert your attention to someone else who is better than me," says Jade as she faces him.

"But I didn't meet a woman who is better than you Jade," replied Jayden.

Jade laughed. "You already meet her but you're just too close-minded person," she said.

"Come on Jade. I'm more wealthy that he is. I can provide everything you want," he replied. Is he really this desperate? He is now carrying his own chair just to impress my sister?

"Jayden, it's not about the things that you can give me that I want in life. You see, Kent might not be as wealthy as you but he gives me happiness and contentment. That's what I want. Nothing more nothing less. And that's what I cannot get from you."

"You're wrong. I can give you that contentment," says Jayden.

"You can't. What you can only give me is a smile. Kent give me everything. Kent give me a baby," says Jade as she touches her stomach. Her eyes are glowing as she stared down her stomach.

I was surprised by that. I didn't know that my sister is pregnant. She didn't even tell me that news. "You're pregnant?" asks Jayden to which Jade smiled and nodded.

"I'm two weeks pregnant now with Kent's baby. This is the contentment that I want. The happiness. It's pure," says Jade.

"There's nothing pure in this world. Stop that nonsense. Even your love with Kent is not pure. Even his love for you," he said.

Jade glared at him. "You know what Jayden. That is the reason why I don't see you as the man I want to marry. It's because of how you see things."

"Let's be real in here," he sarcastically replied.

"Yeah. You will never meet a woman that will truly love you," says Jade. I almost interrupted them but I immediately scolded myself for doing stupid thing again.

I stayed in my place. "I don't think so. A lot of women wants to be with me," says Jayden.

"Because of your money and influence. You know what, I want my sister to see you like this. I want her to realize that the man he adores so much is a person who doesn't even have a pure heart," says Jade.

Jayden just laughed. "That's what I'm dreaming, for her to stop. That sister of yours is annoying."

"And you are much more annoying," says Jade.

"Tell her that I don't like her, at all. And there will be no chance for me to love her. She is just my secretary," says Jayden. That's the last straw for me. I slowly leave the place.

When I pass by the living room, I acted that nothing happened. And just told my mother that I'm just not feeling well. I immediately went to my room and throw myself on my bed. I look up at the ceiling.

Fresh tears fell down. Jayden's words are still playing on my mind. Does he really mean everything? Don't I really have a chance for him? Are his feelings towards my sister is the reason why he can't love me?

I heaved a deep sigh and push myself out of the bed. I wipe my tears away and fixed my make-up. There is only one possible thing for me to do to stop thinking about what I am feeling. I grab my keys, cellphone and my purse. I'm going to make sure that I'll have fun tonight.

---M.F.P---