Forty

Alexa Ramirez

"Can I talk to you for a bit?" asks my mom as I opened the door of my room. I meet her eyes and when I see pure seriousness, I let her in.

"What is it mom?" I asked.

"How are you?" mom asked as she stare at me. I stared at her in disbelief. Why would she ask me that question? She's been with me for that span of time and she's still asking me how am I?

"I'm fine mom," I replied making her nod. I'm really fine now. This past few weeks, lots of things happened. My sister Jade gives birth and at last, I'm now using only one clutch. And maybe, just maybe, next week, I can finally walk on my own without the clutch.

"Alexa, I know that you've been hurt because of what Jayden did but - but are you really going to fool him like this?" asks my mom.

This has been my mother's question to me. And I will always tell her the same thing. "Let me handle things okay? I know what I'm doing! If Jayden really want to show me things then so be it," I replied.

"But this is not the right thing to do. I want to tell him the truth," says my mom.

"No, no. Don't ever do that mom. Let him do things in a hard way. I want him to feel the feeling of being fooled around."

"What if he really wants you back? You see, Jayden has been doing things just for you. He even cancelled everything for you."

"I don't care mom! I- I -"

"This is not right daughter."

"Let me handle things mom. Don't make yourself involve with this," I replied and turned on my heel. I opened the door and is about to go out when mom said something.

"I hope that you'll not regret doing this thing. You are on your right age and you can stand on your own, but expect that everything has its own consequences," she said. I just looked at her and walked away.

I went downstairs only to see Jayden on the living room. I greeted him when I'm already standing in front of him. "You're doing great!"

"Yeah. Thanks to you!" I replied making her nod. Yeah, that's right. Jayden helped me to recover. He has been exerting too much effort not just to remind me of things but also for me to recover.

"Are you ready for our final destination?" he asked.

"Yeah, where would it be?" I asked. I really don't know where Jayden is planning to take me.

"It's a surprise," he replied. I just nodded and let him guide me out of the house to her car.

"Okay, hope you'll enjoy this day," he said as he drives of the busy street.

Jayden tell stories about how happy he is when I let him accompany me for the past weeks. And I can't deny the fact that I am also happy with it. I can see sincerity in everything that he's been doing for me this past few weeks.

I turned my head and stared at him. His handsome face is really good in the eye. His perfect kissable lips, to his beautiful eyes, ah, it's heaven. "I'll melt because of the way you stare at me," he said making me look away. I can feel my face blush. Yeah, it's heating up.

"I'm sorry," I replied making him laugh.

"That's fine. Finally, we are here," he said as he looks for a perfect place for his car to park.

My brows furrowed as soon as I recognized the place. Yeah, it's the Paterson Company building. Why did he bring me here? "Why are we here?" I asked with pure curiosity.

"Well, we already went to places we've been before and you still don't remember anything. Maybe this place will help me out. This is the only chance I have," he replied. I can sense sadness in his voice.

My conscience suddenly hits me. Am I doing too much to him? I'm about to say something when he slides out of his car. I waited for him to open the door like usual. He helped me slide out of the car.

Even when we entered the building, he stayed by my side. Some employees looked at our way with shock. When we finally reach where his office is, his secretary, Julia meet us. She greeted both of us and informed Jayden that someone is waiting for him in the conference room.

"I'll just leave you with Julia for a while. This will not take too long," says Jayden to which I nodded. Jayden walked away and headed to the conference room.

"Alexa!" says someone from behind. I turned to face who it is and saw Jane smiling at me. I smiled back at her.

"Hi, oh my gosh. Jayden's right. What happened to you!" she said as she looked at me up and down.

"Meet an accident," I replied.

"Ah, I miss your food!" says Julia on my side.

I looked at her and smiled. "I can cook for you if you want," I replied making her jaw drop.

I stared at her with curiosity. "Why? What's wrong with what I said?" I asked. Julia looked at Jane and stared back at me.

"I didn't tell you that you cook for the food. How did you know it?" she asked with curiosity.

"Of course I know Julia. Jayden always gives you the food I cook for him. So, I really know that the food you're telling me are the foods I cook," I replied making both of them gasp.

"Okay, this is insane. Alexa, do you know me?" asks Jane making me look at her.

"Nah, of course Jane! My gosh, how can't I know you?" I replied making her brows furrow.

Jane and Julia stared at each other. "How can you remember us just like that but you can't even remember who Jayden is?" says Jane with pure curiosity.

"What do you mean?" I asked until it hits me. I bit my lower lip and stared at them.

"Jayden told us that you have an amnesia and you don't remember anything. But, but- what is this? We didn't even introduce ourselves to you," says Julia.

I looked away and heaved a sigh. Maybe telling them the truth wouldn't harm me at all. I looked back at them and smiled. "I- I don't have amnesia," I simply said making them gasp.

"Then why did Jayden tell us that -"

I didn't let Jane finish what she's about to say. "I acted like I lost my memory," I said. Jane and Julia stared at each other again.

"You just acted? Why did you do that?" asks Julia.

"Because I don't want to face Jayden."

"That's your reason?" asks Jane to which I nodded. I was about to say something when someone interrupted.

"In my office," says someone from behind. Jane and Julia gasped as soon as their eyes landed on the person. It's pretty obvious that they're just acting but I let it slide. I slowly turned to face the person. I swallowed as soon as my eyes landed to Jayden who is standing behind me.

"Jayden, ho- how long have - have you been there?"

"Just a while ago but I heard everything," he replied before heading to his office. I watch as he enters his office.

"You know that he is in my back?" I asked Jane and Julia. They both nodded.

"Sorry," they both replied at the same time. I just nodded and followed Jayden in his office. Maybe it's time for me to tell him the truth.

---M.F.P---