Nine

Alexa Ramirez

I run as fast as I could inside the Paterson Company building. My father let me do something at home causing me to be late. I'm not really sure if my father called Jayden and told him that I'll be late at work.

The guard greeted me but I just smiled at him. I glance at my wrist watch. It clearly says that it's already eight thirty-five. Damn! I'm two and a half hours late.

I stopped on my track and dig for my phone on my sling bag. Yeah, I'm that woman who is really fond of sling bags. I sent a message to Jayden when I'm on my way but didn't receive any response from him. I was about to dial his number when I bumped into someone. My phone fell on the floor making a loud sound.

I was about to pick it up when the man who I bumped with picked it up for me. When he stands up and hands me the phone, my jaw literally drops. Am I seeing another angel?

The man smiles. "No you're not. You're seeing a human being. Ah, kind human being," he said.

That brought me back to my senses. I silently stabbed myself at the back of my head. How could I be so stupid and say those words aloud.

My eyes landed to his hand that holds my phone. I took my phone from him and smiled reluctantly. "T-thank you," I stuttered making him laugh.

"Stuttering. Do I really look like an angel?" he teasingly said making me blush. Yeah, I can feel it as my face heats up.

"N-nah. I was just- just amazed by how you look so innocent," I replied.

The man shrugs his shoulder. "Well, that runs in our blood except for my cousin," he replied. Then it hit me. Am I really talking to a total stranger? This is the only time I meet this person in the company.

"Uhm, I - uh, are you a new employee here?" I asked. I really don't know.

The man laughed. Even his voice is good for my ears. I shook my head and push away that thought. Jayden is much more handsome than him. Jayden just don't smile like he smiles. Jayden is also taller than him in inches.

"No. I'm just paying my cousin a visit. I just arrived from New York and the first man I wanted to meet is my cousin," he replied.

"Cousin?"

"Yeah, Jayden Paterson," he casually replied. I nodded. That explains some of their similarities. "How about you? Are you an employee here?" he asked making me nod.

"Yes, I'm actually Jayden's secretary," I replied. He suddenly flashed a smile.

"Oh, hey. Alexa Ramirez? The second daughter of Mr. Nelson Ramirez? Nice meeting you. I've been hearing lots of stories about you," he said as he stretched his hand for a handshake. I reach for his hand.

"H- how did you know my name?" I curiously asks as I pulled my hands from him.

"Jayden has been telling stories about you," he said with an unknown smile.

I feel a little bit of happiness after knowing that Jayden is telling stories about me to his cousin. "Oh, are they bad or good?" I asked.

"I don't know. For me it's all good," he said as he flashed a smile. "Anyways, I'm Trent. Trent Alvarez," he said.

"Trent. Nice meeting you Trent," I said.

"Why do I feel like I wanted to talk to you," he said as he smiles at me. Then an image of Jayden smiling like he smiles suddenly came into view. What if Jayden smiles like him? Would it be better? Would that make him even more handsome or will it just destroy his image? I don't know, but working under his power for a month now makes me wonder how he really looks like when he smiles. I rarely see him, no, I really never witness him wearing a simple and sincere smile. Only his poker face.

"Face of a devil," I said out loud without even thinking twice.

"Who me?" Trent asks as he looked at me with amusement.

I immediately reacted. "No, no. I mean, ugh, forget about it. That's definitely not you," I replied to which he nodded.

Trent and I talked for a while before he decided to leave. I was wearing a small smile on my lips when I reach my desk. "Ey, what's with that smile?" says Jane teasingly as I sit down on my swivel chair.

"Ah, I met someone today and he really is interesting," I replied that made Jane stare at me intently.

"Is it a man?" she asked making me nod. Jane screamed like a high school woman. I looked at her with curiosity. Why would she suddenly scream?

"What?"

"Ah, Alexa. I'm really happy for you. I'm happy because you met a man that makes you smile," she replied. "Well, aside from our kind of arrogant boss," she added that made me glare at her.

She knew that I don't want hearing bad things about Jayden but here she is doing it in front of me. "Jayden may be arrogant but I still adore him. Look, I'm here because of him," I replied to which Jane rolled her eyes.

"You are really stupid and obsess with him. He cannot even appreciate all your efforts and here you are still looking up at him and admiring him. I pity you," she said.

"Stop it okay. As I always say, I want what I'm doing."

"Yeah, even if you read an article about him dating a new woman for this month," says Jane. I was a little bit hurt after hearing that. Yes, Jayden, dating someone, or a woman he met at a certain club is all over the news for the past few days and it really irritates me. I can't deny the fact that I'm really jealous at that woman.

"Enough of that. What did Trent do in Jayden's office anyway?" I asked that made her look at me.

"You know him?" she asked making me nod.

"Wow! How?"

"He is the man I was telling you a while ago that I meet in the ground floor. His face is really pure and innocent but, well, I really don't believe it if he is not the kind of man that is hiding something inside," I replied making her nod.

"Being playboy really runs in their blood. Trent has lots of issues too if you may ask. But Trent has his own reason," she said.

I look at her. She knows a lot of things about Jayden and Trent's life. "Whoa, you're really a woman full of stories!" I remarked making her laugh.

"Just ask me and you'll know everything," she replied with confidence.

"You're nosy one!"

Jane just laughed and started to ask questions about Trent. She even asked me to tell him what exactly happened in the ground floor that I was given a chance to talk to Trent. And, as a good colleague and a friend, I told her what really happened and she just keeps on smiling until my story ended.

"What's with the smile?" I curiously ask.

"If I'm going to make a book for the two of you, I would really make a good one. Huh, Trent is handsome and you look beautiful. You're a good match! I can really make a book out of it!" she said that made me glare at her one more time.

"Enough with that nonsense!"

"That's not nonsense. That's just great. And besides, Jayden is not showing interest on you. Maybe, it's time for you to divert your attention to someone," she seriously said.

I was about to answer when Jayden's office suddenly opened. "Alexa, in my office, now!" he said with a loud voice making Jane and I flinch.

"Si- sir Jayden, is there anything -"

"In my office!" he said cutting whatever I'm about to say and slams the door. Jane looked at me with a sad look.

"I'm in trouble," I mumbled making her nod.

---M.F.P---