Thirty-seven

Jayden Paterson

"Who are you?" says Alexa as she stared at me.

I'm confused. Is she joking or just don't want to see us in front of her. I look at her up and down and I can say that she loses weight. My eyes landed on the crutches that is on her right side. And, I can say that I'm more confused. Why are there crutches by her side?

"Don't play jokes with me now Alexa. I know you recognize me," I replied.

She just stared at me and Trent who is standing behind me. "I - I don't really know who you are? Wh- who lets you in?" she asked. I was about to answer when one of her maids appeared and walks fast towards her.

She looked at the maid. "Ella, who are they? Who lets them in?"

"I'm sorry Alexa, they, I let them in," replied the maid.

Alexa just nodded to her. Ella stared at her intently as if she's about to say something but Alexa suddenly smiled at her. "Oh, are they mom's visitor?" she suddenly asked her to which Ella shakes her head.

"No, they want to see you," says Ella.

"Oh, me? Why me? D- do I know them?" she asked.

"Alexa- they - ah, I'll just call your mom," says Ella as she walks away. I saw how Alexa's brows furrowed. What is going on?

Without even thinking twice, I kneeled in front of her and touches her hands that is on her lap. She tried to pull it away but I hold her still. "Alexa, please don't play games like this with me. I know you clearly recognizes me. It's me Jayden and hey, Trent is here too," I said as I look at her straight in her eyes.

Alexa just exchanges her look between me and Trent. "I'm sorry but I really don't know who you are. Alexa is my name but I don't remember you. Now, if you don't have anything to tell me, please leave," she said.

"No, I'll stay and talk to you," I replied.

"No, leave. I don't talk with anyone especially people that I don't know. Please. And, let my hands go," she said as she pulled her hands away.

Instead of letting go, I just grip it harder. "You're hurting my hand. Please," she said. I can see pain in her eyes. I didn't know that I gripped her hands that much. I let her hands go and heaved a sigh.

"Alexa, don't be like this. This isn't a joke," I replied making her shake her head. She just stared at me.

"What is going on here?" asks Amelia who runs towards Alexa. Ella is following behind her. Amelia held her daughters hand.

"I'm just here to talk to her," I sincerely replied as I stand up. Amelia looked at me and Trent before looking at Alexa.

"Mom, I- I don't know them. Who are they?" Alexa asks. Her mother stared at her intently. Moments later, Amelia asks Ella to take Alexa away.

Ella reach out for the crutches. My brows furrowed out of confusion. What the hell is going on? Amelia helped Alexa to stand. Ella gives the crutches to her. Alexa just gives us one last look before Ella assisted her out.

"What are the two of you doing here?" asks Amelia.

"Amelia, I - we just want to talk to her but she didn't even recognize us. Will you tell me what happened? Why is she using a crutch? And- why can't she recognize us?" I asked. Seriously, I need answers.

"We are curious about how she acts," says Trent from behind.

Amelia heaved a sigh and ushered us to the living room. She lets us sit on the couch. She also asks us what drinks we need and we politely declined. "Amelia, can you tell us what is going on?" I said.

Amelia nodded and clasped her hand. "You see, Alexa met accident months ago," she said.

"Months ago?" I asked to which Amelia nodded.

"Yes, her car was hit by a truck. Her left leg was injured. And as you can see, she uses crutches for assistance."

"Why can't she remember us?" asks Trent when I didn't say anything.

Amelia heaved a sigh again and looked up. I can say that tears are about to fall from her eyes but she tried to stop it. "Her- her head was also hit. And - "

"That's enough. You don't need to tell us what happened to her," I said cutting whatever she's about to say. If I will not do that, there is a possibility that she will cry.

"What happened to the truck's driver?" I asked. I hope that the driver is already in jail.

"Ah, he is already in jail."

"Better. That's what he deserves," I replied. But, still something is bothering me. Why didn't the accident circulate? Alexa is Nelson's daughter. Why didn't we hear anything about the accident?

"Why didn't we heard about the accident?" I asked.

"Nelson shut down everything. She talked to those reporters not to spread the news about Alexa. He doesn't want my daughter's life to be the center of attraction especially in times like those," Amelia immediately replied to which I nodded. It actually makes sense. Nelson is an influential man and he can do everything in just a snap.

Amelia talked to us for almost half an hour before Trent and I decided to leave. Amelia followed us out of their house. "Is it okay if I visit here again?" I asked to which Amelia just smiled.

"Of course. There is no problem with that. As long as you will not attract anymore harm to my baby Alexa," she teasingly said which I know is intended for me. I just nodded and didn't say anything. Amelia just stayed with us until I started the engine.

"What can you say about what happened a while ago?" Trent asks making me glance at him before looking back at the road.

"I don't know what to feel."

I really don't know what to feel. Something inside me is in pain the time Alexa asks me who I am. The fact that Alexa doesn't even recognize me pained the hell out of me.

"Same with me. But are you not happy with that? Alexa doesn't recognize you and also forgets what you've done to her. The pain you caused her is now something that is buried. Maybe you can make things right by beginning again," says Trent.

"I don't know Trent. I really don't," I replied. If I will do what Trent just said, then I'm taking advantage of her memory loss. But if Alexa will remember who I am, she'll surely be mad at me. What is the best thing for me to do then?

---M.F.P---