Twenty

Jayden Paterson

I closed the file that I'm reading when someone knocked at my office door. I glance at my wrist watch. It's already time for lunch. If I'm not mistaken, Alexa is the one knocking at the door. "Come in," I shouted for her to hear.

The door opened and I'm right. It's Alexa who us holding a plastic bag. "I ordered lunch for you, sir," she said as she walks towards me and put the plastic bag on my table.

"Ordered?" I ask with curiosity. Alexa nodded.

"Yes sir. That's the food you always want me to order," she replied.

"Hmm," I simply replied and opened the file again. Alexa stayed for a moment waiting for whatever I am supposed to tell her but when she heard nothing, she headed out. That's when I have the chance to heaved a sigh.

I pushed myself up from the swivel chair and walks towards the window. The view from the outside give me a hint of what is happening around me. From where I am standing, I can almost see the whole city.

It's been a month now since Alexa treats me with pure coldness and a part of me is looking for the old her. Those texts that I receive from her starting from the time I wake up to the time I close my eyes are now gone. And the cheerful greeting I always receive from her everytime I step in my office now becomes a cold and emotionless greeting. And the food that she always gives me is now an ordered food and not the one she cooks. Ah, those foods she cooked for me. I wasted all those foods and just give it to some of my employees. And I regret doing that. And I realize that now that she's not doing any favor for me at all.

I closed my eyes and walks to my table. Maybe Alexa and her friend Jane are still in their desk. I grab the plastic bag from my table and heads outside. And I'm lucky because they're still in their desk, fixing their things.

I walked towards Alexa's desk and put the plastic bag she gave to me a while ago on top of his table. She looked at me with pure curiosity. "Do you have any foods with you? I'm not in the mood to eat all of this," I said using my serious and arrogant tone. She just stared at me intently.

She cleared her throat and flashed a forced smile. "Sir, the only food I have with me is the food that I prepared for myself," she replied. That's exactly what I want, I thought to myself. That's the fact. That's the reason why I went out from my office.

"Just give it to me. I don't care if those foods of yours are gross," I replied.

Alexa looked at me. "But, you - you don't like the food I cooked for you," she said.

"I told you, it's fine! Give it to me. This food you ordered will be for your lunch," I said. She bit her lower lips and reluctantly reach for the plastic bag she has at the edge of her table and hands it to me.

"E - enjoy your lunch sir, hope you'll not regret eating those foods," she said with a little bit hesitation in her voice. I just nodded my head and turned on my heels. I was about to open the door when I remembered something. I turned around and face her again.

"Prepare my lunch tomorrow," I said and entered my office. As soon as I'm inside my office, a victorious smile appeared on my lips.

When I'm done eating my lunch I felt a sudden satisfaction. Satisfaction that I've never felt before. I was on my seat thinking how I'm satisfied when my phone suddenly rings. "Mom," I said as I answered the phone.

"I thought your busy. Did you have your launch?" she asked from the other line.

"Yeah, done. What's the call all about?" I asked. It's very unusual for my mom to call me in the middle of the day.

"Just want to say hi to you, son. It's been a while since I talked to you and that's a week ago. Don't you miss me?" she replied. I heaved a sigh. When my mother calls, that means, I need to pay attention and bear with everything she'll say.

"Not this time mom, I still have lots of works to do," I replied trying not to offend my mom.

"Ah, yes. I'm sorry. I just want to check how my only son is doing and I'm relieved now that you're fine as wine," she said before she ended the call. I shrug my shoulder as soon as the line was cut by her. I just busied myself and focus on my work.

It's already pass four when I finally closed my laptop and stopped working. I reach out for my phone and texted Alexa to come in my office and just a minute after receiving my text, she knocks on the door.

"Do you have anything to tell me sir?" she asks once I let her in.

She's staring at me like she wants to add something but just chose to keep silent. "Are you going to do something tomorrow?" I asked.

Alexa just shakes her head. "That is up to you, sir. I already finished all the papers you give me."

"Good," I simply replied to which she nodded. I scolded myself at the back of my mind. Usually, Alexa will just say nonsense words to brighten the atmosphere.

"You need to be in my house at exactly eight tomorrow," I said. Alexa eyes widened after hearing me say those words.

"Bu- but you have three scheduled meeting tomorrow, one in the morning and- "

"Just cancel those meetings. It's just a follow up meeting. I'll tell you everything that you need to do when you're there," I said. She looked at me intently before she finally nodded. I was relieved after she nodded. I wasn't expecting it though.

"I'll just go and call those -"

"No, just call them later. What's my next schedule for today?" I asked.

"A meeting with Mr. Cook."

"Again?" I asked. He's been in my list for the month straight. Is he not done yet with everything? Does he really need my approval for everything? Why don't he just ask Bryan for it.

"I hate to say this but can you cancel my appoint with him. I'm not in the mood to talk to him for now."

Alexa nodded and is about to turn to leave when I stopped her. I don't know but I really want her to say something before she leaves. This past few days, I've been missing the way she acts in front of me. And I don't even know why.

"Sir, anything more to say?" she asks.

"Where did you spend your weekend?" I suddenly ask out of the blue. I silently slapped my head at the back of my mind.

"In our house with Jade?" she curiously replied.

"Ah, that's it. I'm just curious to where you usually spend your time," I said making her nod. Well, that's the most stupid thing that I ever asked and said to someone.

"Hmm, anything to ask sir?" she asked making me shake my head. Alexa nodded and turned on her heels. I watch as she disappeared out of my sight.

---M.F.P---