Twenty-two

Alexa Ramirez

The next day, I was late. I woke up late and immediately sent a message to Jayden telling him that I'm stuck with some important thing that made me late. He just responded with a 'k'. A one letter text that assured me that he is not mad at me.

Last night, I was not able to sleep because of some reason. A reason that I'm trying to erase from my memory. Yesterday was fun. Jayden and I enjoyed shopping for his clothes. He allowed me to choose a suit for him. After Jayden and I shop for his clothes, he asked me to join him for dinner.

I was breathless when I reach my desk. I glance at my wrist watch and my eyes literally widened as I see the time. It's already pass nine. This is the first time that I'm super late to enter the office. I bit my lips and put my sling bag on top of my table and sits down on my swivel chair.

I fix my table and opened the laptop that is on my table. I tried to focus on my work but memories from yesterday just keeps on coming.

Flashback

"Hey, what do you think of this suit?" Jayden asks as he showed me the suit. It's a grey one this time. I smiled and nodded my head.

"All of those suits are really made for you," I replied.

That's the fact. Almost all the suit he showed me really looks goods on him. I don't know but he really knows how to wear them. There's no question with that.

"Then I should probably take all of them," he sarcastically said making me shrug my shoulder. Of course he can have them. He has the money. Why would I stop him?

"Yeah, just buy this store instead," I replied with a duh tone making him laugh. I froze on my spot and stared at him intently. Did he just laugh? I pinch my arm to know if I'm dreaming but I was not. It's for real, Jayden just laughed. A very unusual thing for him to do.

"Oh my gosh, did you just laugh?" I asked without even thinking.

He stopped laughing and looked at me. "Yeah," he coldly replied and turned to look for another suit. That was unexpected.

I followed him and tease him. "You know, you really look handsome whenever you smile," I said while I follow his steps.

"And?" he casually said.

"And you're handsome," I replied as I smiled.

"And?" he once again said. Is he really playing along with me?

That's when I run in front of him and stopped him. I caught him smiling. "Yah! You're smiling! Jayden Paterson is smiling! Ayieh, handsome!" I said to which he raised his eyebrow.

"I always smile. It's normal for people to smile," he replied as he walks away from me. His usual serious and cold face comes back.

I followed him. "Hey! You don't even smile when people smile at you. You are such a cold man. Well, people see you as a heartless monster and -"

I wasn't able to finish what I'm saying when he suddenly stopped on his track and turned to face me. I hit my head on his chest making me lose my balance. I closed my eyes and waited for the time that my body hits the floor but that didn't come.

Someone grabs me on my waist. I slowly opened my eyes and I hold on my breath as I come face to face with Jayden. Our faces are just inches away and I can smell his breath. We stayed like that for I don't know how long for goodness sake. I used that chance to better study his handsome face. His kissable lips, his perfect nose and his eyes. I bit my lip when I saw his adams apple moves up and down. That's when I came back to my senses. I cleared my throat. Jayden helped me stand straight.

"You shouldn't do that next time," I said.

"What?" he replied as he smirked.

I just stared at him without even having any words to say. When I didn't think of anything to tell him, I turned and walked away from him.

I heaved a deep sigh as I recall what happened yesterday. I can't deny the fact that the feeling I have for Jayden that I wanted to set aside and let go suddenly appeared. His sudden change of attitude makes me feel the kind of emotion that I have for him. I shook my head and just focused on my work. I silently scolded myself for doing nothing.

I was in the middle of my work when someone called for my name. I looked up and saw Trent standing across me. A small smile crept on my lips as soon as I see his face. "Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked making him smile wider. A smile that reaches his ears.

"Ah, got nothing to do at my office. I'm quite bored," he replied. I nodded at him.

"You want to see Mr. Paterson?" I asked.

"Stop with that formality. We both know that you and Jayden is quite close," he replied as he lets out a chuckle.

"Nah, we are not close."

"Yes you are. You just can't accept it," he sarcastically replied.

I rolled my eyes and glared at him. Trent has been telling me the same thing even in his messages since the day we contacted each other. "I don't know. Why are you even telling me that thing?" I asked.

Trent just shrug his shoulder and sits at the edge of my table. He stayed there like he is just passing by. "You know what, Jayden is so stupid not to see your beauty," he said making me raise an eyebrow. What is he trying to tell now? Why would he say such things?

"Huh? Are you here to see Jayden or?" In asked raising an eyebrow. Trent just lets out a soft chuckle.

"I'm here for two purposes," he said as he smirked.

"Like?"

"Ah, it's for me to know and for you to discover," he replied. I just rolled my eyes and let it slide.

"Get out of my table and my sight, I need to work," I said making him smile.

"Nah, no. I'm still not done talking to you."

"Come on Trent, tell me whatever is in your head. I still have lots of things to do."

"Uh, I don't see any pile of paper in your table. You're making excuses," he replied as he smirks at me again. Is he really for real?

"Uh, can I ask you out for dinner?" says Trent.

"Dinner? I -" I was not able to finish what I'm about to say when Jayden suddenly intervenes.

"You don't have time for dinner. I will let you do a task," he said as he walks towards us. He looked at Trent with unknown emotion.

Trent greeted him but he just raised an eyebrow making Trent smirk at him. "Mad huh?" says Trent mockingly.

"What are you doing here?" he asked instead.

"Just want to talk to Alexa. I was asking her out for dinner but yeah, I guess she's not available tonight," says Trent. That signature smile is still painted on his face.

"That's right. Now that you know that she's not free, you can now go," says Jayden to which Trent laughed out loud.

"Do I sense jealousy in the atmosphere," says Trent.

"Who is jealous?" asks Jayden who is glaring at Trent.

"Nah, forget about it," replies Trent. "Anyways, I need to get going. Alexa, I'll just text you later and dude, let's talk some other time," he added. I just nodded at him before he turned around and leave.

I watch him disappear from our sight as a small smile formed on my lips. "In my office," says Jayden that made my smile fade. I look at him but he just glared at me and walked away. Am I in trouble now?

---M.F.P---